Should I throw my entire plan in the trash?

You are way over thinking this. If it’s causing this much stress, it doesn’t sound fun. We went Oct 2016, Oct 2107, and April 2018. For the April trip my husband (who likes- but doesn’t love -Disney like the rest of us) said we had to do things on the April trip that we’ve never done before. Basically asking for a Shenkel list trip, not knowing what it was (one day, I’ll type that up). We didn’t go, go, go and really stopped to smell the roses or watch the lizards and ducks. It was the best trip ever because of that. Of the 6 TS meals we did, only one was a repeat. We did QS we’d never done too. Took time to do Agent P, SOTMK, and took pictures with just about every character at every park that we hadn’t met before. My DS 9 wanted to look at the ducks at MK and Epcot and we did every time he saw them. We also watched a lizard in the flowers. We sat in the rocking chairs on the porch in front of Town Hall and ate ice cream and watched the people and did one morning of doing nothing but watching what happens on Main Street in the first hour the park opens (I can hear the gasps from all the liners!!!), had a nutella and fruit waffle at Sleepy Hollow, watch HOP, then went back to WL. I had a TP planned through about 1:00 that included our pre-planned FPs but after that, we rode whatever we got a FP for, watched the entertainment at Epcot, or sat and people watched with an adult beverage for mom and dad and a snack for the kids. DD 14 and DS9 recreated photos from other trips at Epcot which was hilarious. Instead of walking past the topiaries at the Flower and Garden festival, we took the time to really check them out. My daughter commented that “we aren’t running from place to place this time”. It was AWESOME. We had a list of “must do’s” at each park, accomplished them and then just enjoyed everything else. I highly recommend it.

5 Likes

Welcome to my life in general, lol.

I know you’re right. I’m getting there. Slowly.

One of the highlights of last year’s trip? Seeing a gecko outside Tiffins while waiting for it to open. Arguably better than the meal, actually.

4 Likes

In Florida, you can see Geckos everywhere. My parents live in Ocala, about 1 1/2 hours north of Orlando, and every time we step foot outside we’ll see a bunch just getting to our car. As a kid, I do remember the thrill of seeing them for the first time at Disney, though.

Unfortunately, the advertising from car insurance company Geico has forever ruined things. To this day, my parents can’t seem to remember that the little lizards are GECKOS not GEICOS! Which is ironic, since the point of the Geico Gecko, originally, was that he was tired of being confused with the insurance agency!

1 Like

Yes, I saw a few at the house I stayed in.

It’s one of the things I love about being in the USA. I’m very clearly not in the UK. I love that feeling that I’ve really travelled somewhere different.

4 Likes

That is my hope for ALL visitors to WDW :blush:

I think we all talk a good game. I think we all hate the rain - or at least most of us do.

Another thought occurs to me.

As I’ve said, I love the feeling of being away from home. The heat and humidity are part of that. I don’t mind them.

But rain? I can get that at home, thanks.

Except the one massive downpour we got driving home one night. That was great. (Well for me. I wasn’t the one driving.)

Of course, daily rain showers in Florida is part of the Florida experience. It wouldn’t be Florida if it didn’t rain almost daily at some point. And, of course, Florida is also prone to Tropical Storms and Hurricanes at the worst.

Ironically, the year we were there for the Tropical storm (our first Universal Studios trip), the MOST memorable thing of the trip was the storm itself! In the moment, we had wished it wasn’t there, but to this day, it is one of the first things we bring up about that trip. We have a screenshot of the weather radar in our photo book of that trip.

If there is going to be massive amounts of rain, Disney is the place to have it! Life just goes on there in the rain.

Rain is a blessing most of the time. And if it never rained on anyone going to the parks, we’d live in a perpetual state of drought! If you want that, go to California, where you have to limit how long you can take a shower, how frequently you can wash your clothes, etc!

It has to rain on SOMEONE!

2 Likes

Afternoon showers don’t bother me at all, I could cope with 1 full day of rain but by day 2 I’d be getting fed up. But I did mean it when I said (in the other thread) that some of my best and most memorable moments have been in the rain.

2 Likes

The only problem with this is that Kona’s breakfast is delicious and Tony’s food is, um, I guess okay?

I would keep Kona and skip Tony’s use the time to hang out and people watch before the parade with a heavy snack/CS. No parade ticket needed.

1 Like

See my notes about Kona and Tony’s above…

We will be doing DAH a few weeks after you. I expect a full and detailed report!! :wink:

1 Like

I was confused when I saw Tony’s even on the schedule because I thought a whole other thread had cleared up that matter! Either with Tony’s or without, my opinion is that the schedule overall looks very reasonable and seems to have lots of space to stop and smell the roses. But then again, I am an overplanner myself and last trip my family revolted and started to cut out portions of our days! That being said, I like having all of the plans in place to show what we COULD do. Then if we don’t and we skip entire portions, that is ok. When we are ready to go back on schedule,we can look ahead to that part of the plan and jump back in!

2 Likes

The Disney Dining show just did a podcast review on Tony’s with very mixed results. It sounds like there is a new chef there who is trying to shake things up for the better!

1 Like

In the spirit of simplifying - I have canceled an ADR that I had for a character meal!
My original plan was two PPO breakfasts if I could get them BOG & GG. Then I added an lunch at CP - which I canceled.
I don’t need another expensive meal - and while I am one of ‘those’ that is crazy about the characters, I am going to MNSSHP - twice

1 Like

Excellent point! Just look at the other post on top five experiences at WDW. I don’t think there were very many comments that a top experience was going on a particular thrill ride (unless they found a way to make it special). Lots more posts were about just being with family. Prioritize that and you will make the whole time more special!

1 Like

I am going to be in the minority and say that I always go to Tony’s.
It certainly isn’t ‘fine dining’ but I am not a very adventurous eater and I have never had anything that I didn’t enjoy there.

Ah, but so much has changed since then!

Tony’s is gone. The dining package is gone. The primo view of the parade is gone.

I’m now having lunch at BOG and will fight my way to a regular spot to watch the parade like everyone else.

1 Like

You, dear sir, make me laugh.

3 Likes

Whaaaaat?

You cancelled it again?,But we all agreed you should do what made you happy. Even @OBNurseNH pretty much came on board!

And here was I coming back on to try and continue my suggestions…

Can you republish the refined and updated spreadsheet? (And pleas note, not a c word in sight).

1 Like

Yeah!

Wait… what?

:confused: