Should I cancel my trip 9/21/19 - 9/27/19 because of Star War opening

Okay need your advice. Should I cancel my trip? It’s been 15 years since we have been to WDW and have never stay on property. Plan this trip for me and my adult children. I will be paying for the entire trip for everyone so we picked these dates hoping for low to moderate crowds. Now that it been announce that Star Wars is going to open earlier than anyone expected. I concerned on what to do. I do not want to waste all this money with wall to wall people and standing in lines for 3 to 6 hours. So how bad do you die hard Disney fans thinks its going to be the 3rd week of September. Please help…Such a bummer!!!

2 Likes

Following, because I’m in a similar circumstance. I have a trip, that I consider a once in a lifetime trip, and I’m seriously thinking of canceling. I am so afraid that the crowds will be so high that I can’t enjoy anything.

2 Likes

We arrive on 3 September. UK and I think US schools are back so hopefully it will be predominantly locals, adults, die hard Star Wars fans and busy weekends. I am going to tweak my days a bit and rely on TPs; they haven’t failed me in the past. We somehow timed a previous stay for the opening of WWoHP and lived to tell the tale☺.

1 Like

Wondering the same thing. We will be there 10/5-10/11. Not ready to ditch just yet…going to wait and see how this plays out. With only one ride opening, people may consider it won’t make sense to pay all that money for just one ride. Maybe they will postpone to hold her open. Maybe won’t be so bad. What’s everyone thinking?

I rescheduled my 8/25-9/1 trip. Moved the whole thing back (or is it up? :slightly_smiling_face:) one week exactly to 8/18-8/25. Spent my afternoon changing hotel reservations, moving ADR’s, etc.

I too am in the boat of only making it to WDW every few years. And with nine year old twins, I just don’t want to risk having the whole thing blown up by the crowds, and DHS being a no go. Now, my trip was the actual opening week. Maybe a better read by Sept.?

I’d also add that if we had older kids (or none) or went to WDW more than every few years, I would totally go and give it a whirl. Could be fun riding the excitement.

1 Like

We’re scheduled Sept 17-24 and I’m pretty salty about this announcement. We’re taking my parents as a bit of a “last hurrah” (they’re getting on in age, and don’t have a lot of years of easy travelling ahead of them) but if it had been just my husband and I, we’d keep the non-refundable flights and be doing Universal, and other Orlando attractions instead.

1 Like

After a bit of a freak out yesterday on the forum and chat I am keeping my 8/30-9/8 trip. I’ve double booked ADRs (sorry I know people frown upon that, but I’m trying to keep a back up plan) and I’ve moved my DHS days towards the end of my trip. I guess it will be my opportunity to really give the touring plans a test and practice for a Christmas trip, something I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve read a few articles that do agree that DHS will be crazy, but the rest of the parks should not be too bad. I imagine along with the updated crowd calendar touring plans will continue to give us guidance.

2 Likes

Hurrah. It will be fun. It will be fun.It will be fun.It will be fun…

3 Likes

You’ve got this! Glad you are keeping your trip. You’ll have a great time.

2 Likes

Thank you! Really appreciate your advice yesterday! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! You’re trip is around that time too, right?

Yes. 9/2-9/10. We’ll make the best of it!

2 Likes

Glad you are keeping your trip, hope it is amazing! I must be crazy as my Disneyland Chat buddies and I just booked to be at opening day in California. We have 1 night at the Disneyland Hotel which guarantees a time to get in to SWL. I am excited!

3 Likes

You’re not crazy at all! I hope you have fun. Jealous of DL’s reservation system. I would love to see SWGE easily like that. The rest of us at WDW just had to grieve the changes to our trips when we were certain we were missing it. I’m back to being excited! Just bought my daughter a Chewbacca dress and a Rey costume for MNSSHP.

2 Likes

There was a suggestion in one of the vlogs that WDW may be about to modify the everyday adult costume rules so people can have a fully immersive experience. … and so that they can sell more costumes I suppose.

The Chewbacca dress is a printed pattern on the dress. More of inspired by than anything. Can’t imagine it wouldn’t be allowed for a preschooler. The Rey costume is for the Halloween party. Again more inspired by than one of the actual Halloween costumes. She would’ve been too warm in one of those I think. If they do change it so they aren’t allowed, she’s still so excited to have them. Will keep an eye out for changes. I assumed they would have to do something to help differentiate between some of the amazing cosplay costumes and cast members.

1 Like

No no…my fault…I was trying to say, in a very long winded way, that WDW are thinking of allowing adults to wear Star Wars costumes at any time in Galaxy’s Edge. Sorry I didn’t mean to suggest that children are not be allowed to wear costumes in the parks.

My fault too. Half read it while trying to do something else. I wonder how that would work with cosplay costumes since Disney has a policy of you’re not allowed to take pictures with other guests in costume (in other parts of WDW). I would love to see some of them but like I said I assumed the opposite policy discouraging costumes.

1 Like

There is a Youtube vlogger called Michael Kay and the vlog is Costume policy change coming soon to Disney Parks. It was uploaded yesterday.

1 Like

I’ll check that out!

1 Like