Sharing a Dining Plan

To answer the OP’s question: Yes, you can share credits. People do it all the time.

In terms of where the discussion has moved on to (dining plan economics), I think that there are three classes of guests here:

1. People who definitely save money without doing any “tricks” or changing their eating habits.
  2. People who can save money, but only by resorting to “tricks” and/or changing their eating habits
  3. People who definitely do not save money

I think that the vast majority of people would normally fall into the third category, with very few in the first. However, many people from the third group buy a dining plan and then try to be in the second category - some of them are successful in saving money, but many of them probably are not.

Regarding saving money, in many people’s analysis they take the cost of everything that they ordered and compare it to the DP cost. I, for one, do not consider it to be saving money to buy something that I would otherwise not have gotten just to “get value” out of a pre-pay program. I’m sure I could get value out of a DP, but it would involve eating far more than I would normally have and bringing home expensive snacks that I would not have bought in the first place.

4 Likes

The truth is restaurants give too much food in general. If you go to a buffet you do not have to stuff yourself just because you can.

2 Likes

So true!

You also, contrary to what your parents told you growing up, do not have to eat every bite of food on your plate at non-buffets or AYCTE locations!

1 Like

Thank you. I was going to say that as well, but got interrupted and the message got sent when I was trying to cancel it until later. Most restaurants we go to serve too much food. The difference for me is that it is difficult to pack up and transport it. I wish there was a good way to do that and bring all the yumminess back home, but I can’t. Still I will eat what I want while I am there.

2 Likes

I would say this discussion changes rather dramatically when we bring freee dining into the equation. I have crunched numbers on free dining (have never been able to go during that time) and when staying at a value and either sticking with qs plan or upgrading to ddp, found the savings to be worthwhile. When we went last summer, we had one free quick service per day (not a full dining plan). That savings versus going with a room only discount that we could have taken, came out to making an on-site stay at Pop an equal/slightly better value than an off site condo. We would have gotten one quick service per day anyway, whether it had been free or not.
When I’ve priced a full weeks worth of meals at a value, the free dining plan would always be a good idea, even with the requirement of upgrading to park hoppers, which we would not otherwise do.

1 Like

Correct. I stuff myself because I want to. :rofl:

2 Likes