Setting up DAS

I know that the person needing the DAS needs to be present to set it up at Guest Services, but does everyone else in their party need to be there? We are traveling with another family who will arrive after us and wanted to go set up the DAS and link to all of us before they arrive.

Everyone has to be present that is going to participate. GS will not put anyone onto a party w/o seeing them.

1 Like

Darn. Do they scan everyone’s bands? That may mean 3 trips to Guest Services for us based on the arrival schedules.

dang it… I just did this 10 days ago… I can’t remember if they scanned everyone’s MB… maybe… sorry. I just know they had to be present.

1 Like

We did it in November and we were all there, but I don’t remember DH going up the window. Both sons with the DAS got scanned though. I remember DH wrangling the DS who wasn’t at the window at the time.

Yes because they need to link the person w/ the DAS to each person in the party.

Ds and I arrived the day before dd during our 2018 trip. Ds and I set up the DAS on our first day and the next afternoon we stopped by again w/ dd and they were able to quickly add her.

I seem to remember that there is a limit to the number of people in the party that can be linked to the DAS holder, but don’t remember what that is.

Found the following WDW resources, neither of which mention any limits to the number of people…
Disney Parks Blog
PDF on WDW Site

So the information below is dated from last month…and indicates that there is a 6 person limit AND that as long as you are linked in MDE they don’t need to be present when signing up. I don’t know if I would trust that information, as we definitely had to have everyone there when we last used it in 2018.
WDWPrepSchool

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks. We are all linked in MDE and there will be 7 of us total.

When we went last year there were 8 of us and it was not a problem at all. It’s a very easy process, however we all had to be present for scanning.

1 Like

Okay…here is another one. They are saying 6 also, but that it can be overridden. Nothing about who needs to be there when signing up.

DAS Guide

1 Like

If you want anyone to be on the DAS w/ you they have to be present to get them included on your pass. They also take that opportunity to explain how it works. Which is important. I know it’s not in writing anywhere but I know it’s true.

1 Like

Oh I agree with you…I was just looking for it laid out in writing, especially since the one link adamently stated the rest of the party didn’t need to be there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know, I tried to find written directions before our last visit w/ DS too. They don’t spell it out b/c it is up to GS discretion to give you a DAS or not. This last time my DH asked to have his reinstated and he felt like he was getting an evil eye. He had forgotten to bring his DL that shows he’s a Disabled Vet. He thought it might have gone better if he had that w/ him. His disabilities are not visibly apparent.

1 Like

Totally get it, my 15yo ds just looks like a surly teenager!

2 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing: and my DH a grumpy old man

3 Likes

I first got DAS last October and I was prepared for them to tell me they needed everyone’s magic bands to scan, but they just asked who I was traveling with and checked them off on their tablets. I have had to renew it 3 times since then and I’ve had these same experience all 3 times - and I’ve done it different places - MK, HS and EP International Gateway. Not sure why my experience has been different than the others, but they have never scanned anybody other than me.

3 Likes

Hmmm…Maybe they redid their process due to COVID? Not wanting everyone in Guest Services if they didn’t have to be there?

2 Likes

Interesting… I’ve always been told all have to be present. I don’t remember them scanning anyone but my MB and they can see my planning party in MDE, but they wanted to visibly see everyone in our party.

2 Likes

It’s strange. The first time I was the only one for my party of 4. Second time it was just my son and I so we were both there. Third I left the kids behind so it was just me again (4 in total that time). Like most things Disney, it seems like it’s probably dependent on which CM you happen to get that day.

I was expecting to go through a long diatribe about my condition but the first time I signed up was mid day, I walked to the DAS place at MK which was empty and I don’t know if I just looked like complete crap due to being completely and utterly exhausted, if it was the leg braces or what was the driving factor, but I just said I’d like to sign up for the disability service and they said ok, who is traveling with you?

3 Likes

I had a similar experience - we went for our very first trip to WDW in 2019. There were 6 of us total and we were all present when we got DAS set up for my son. We loved our first trip so much, we decided to go again in April 2020 (didn’t happen, so we moved it to Aug. 2020) and it was the 6 of us again. Only 4 of us were present on our first park day and we thought that we would have to add the other 2 later but since our whole group was already linked in MDE, guest services just added them again without those 2 actually being there with us. I think that only worked because they were associated with his DAS before? Not sure, anyway it was super quick and easy.

2 Likes

So it sounds like there have been different experiences here. Thank you all for sharing.

I will give it a try on Friday and report back to everyone.

2 Likes