Selling* and Buying ... again! *Fixed it for you, Jeff!

I’m doing another crazy thing! I love, love, love AKL, and have often wished I had 11 month booking rights there. A contract came up for sale a little while back for 50 points with August UY (my UY) and I was so tempted, but didn’t bite. That contract was still on the market and yesterday I put in an offer and it was accepted!!

That’s the buying, now for the selling. I couldn’t justify buying another 50 points and spending all that money (believe me I tried!), so I’m selling my original 50 point OKW contract with the 2042 expiration date. It won’t cover the whole cost of the new contract, but the additional I’ll be spending feels worth it for 15 extra years of points.

The contract I’m selling was purchased in March 2021. I’ve used 216 points from it!! It was fully loaded with 2019 and 2020 points when I bought it, and I’ve used those plus 2021, all of 2022 points and borrowed 16 from 2023. I am not making a profit on the sale, but sure feel like I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of it.

I’ll be left with 50 direct points to OKW with 2057 exp, and 50 resale points to AKL. For now, I’m happy, but kind of hope to one day add more points rather than stay status quo at 100.

16 Likes

Congratulations!

I love AKL, its a great choice. Finding a 50 point contract with your same use year is like magic!

Sounds like you did your money’s worth from that OKW contract!

5 Likes

Nice! Congratulations. Here’s hoping for a smooth closing process, including ROFR. I assume you’ll be safe since AKL has a lot of inventory so shouldn’t be a problem unless you seriously underbid.

I’m planning to do a couple of nights at AKL for my trip in June 2023, so I’m almost to the 7-month window! There is still plenty of 2-bedroom availability, so :crossed_fingers: we should be able to get it fairly easily.

6 Likes

I’m not usually in the market for a 2 bedroom! If I could get my niece and her family out to Florida … maybe.

3 Likes

I wish I could squeeze into a studio or 1BR sometimes … 2BRs eat up a lot of points! But it’s the easiest way to get enough room for 6-8 people with laundry and kitchen. And it’s usually easy to get in almost any resort at 7 months.

5 Likes

Congrats! I believe I was watching that contract. It was the one with 25 current points? Did you have to make a full price offer? I know the original, overpriced contract was “full price only”.

3 Likes

I paid $145. I think it was listed at $148? So slightly lower. On 50 points, I start thinking what’s another dollar?

2 Likes

Yes! The other one is listed for $149 but they are asking more for 15 points that must be used by the end of July.

3 Likes

This contract has 25 points left for 2022, but I’m hoping to have it early enough to bank into 2023.

6 Likes

I am so very glad you grabbed that contract.

2 Likes

Yay! We added on a AKL resale contract last year and I’m so glad we did - by banking/borrowing we stayed in a 2 bedroom lockoff last year with my parents, and we’ve got a few days for our January trip with a savanna view which I’m incredibly excited for!

4 Likes

If you need additional people to join vacations in order to fill space, I will gladly volunteer as tribute! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also congrats on the AKL contract! I fell in love with it in April

7 Likes

Wow. Congrats. I didn’t even know you were looking.

3 Likes

If you need help filling a two bedroom, please let me know. I’m willing to help you out.

5 Likes

We’re generous folks like that

4 Likes

We really are.

4 Likes

I didn’t either!

2 Likes

You can ask the seller to bank the points. Not sure if you ask once it passes ROFR, maybe speak to the broker.

5 Likes

Good idea!

1 Like

How exciting!! I’m happy to join the list of tenants to get you in the larger room too :grin:

4 Likes