Sales of new AP paused

I don’t know? I think it might be a Nicole Kidman/Tom Cruise movie?

I do not find him attractive. My eyes would be closed.

2 Likes

:rofl: I’m right with you there! I think now it was actually Eyes Wide Shut! Lol.

2 Likes

There is a song called “With Arms Wide Open” by Creed. It was one of my favorites in high school. :joy:

4 Likes

Gosh yes. We are definitely the exact same age.

2 Likes

“Eyes Wide Shut” is the Nicole Kidman/Tom Cruise movie. I haven’t seen it, only know of it.

2 Likes

Eyes Wide Shut

Oh. I see it’s been covered!

2 Likes

I really think this has to do with both not wanting a repeat of what’s happening over in CA for APs, along with the fact that they are severely understaffed at the moment.

Remember the 50th? Reports of mobile orders taking 2+ hours to complete. They don’t have enough cast members right now to handle large crowds. So they are stopping the sale of tickets, and closing out new APs in order to ensure that they don’t totally collapse between now and the new year.

Otherwise I don’t see how this move maximizes profit (especially since they are stopping the sale of day tickets too).

2 Likes

The mobile orders on the 50th was a software glitch I believe? There was a report from PVH that all the prepared food had to be thrown away since the orders came in, prepared, but the final step to pick up stopped working.

Was that Len that reported that? I know it was a podcast.

1 Like

Mickey Views did a video on this yesterday. He covered a series of potential theories behind why Disney is doing this.

1 Like

Care to share the potential theories?

Staffing.

Price hikes for the new year.

1 Like

It had to be more than a software glitch. They also shut down wifi across property … or at least hobbled the capacity of the wifi. We were in AK on 10/1 and had all kinds of connection problems. I also had issues connecting on my laptop that evening from our room at the Poly.

I think the report they had to do a “hard restart” of the whole system / according to the report.

2 Likes

Wait. What? You want me to remember all the way to YESTERDAY to recall what he said? (I kind of wish I were jesting!)

He mentioned the theory about it being to reduce crowds during the holiday season, but he actually didn’t think that was likely because most people who are going already have purchased tickets/passes, and made park reservations…so the number of people wanting to purchase a pass would be minimal.

He also brought up staffing, which I think is the direction he was leaning. In a way it ties to the first one, but with staffing shortages, they really need to keep as many people out of the parks as possible during this time. Although, again, they could limit this by limiting park pass availability.

There was also the possibility that Disney is preparing for ANOTHER price increase in January (or so) on the APs, and pausing the sales prevents people to get ahead of that price increase. (He also wondered if such a price increase would be indication that Disney really doesn’t WANT to sell APs because it reduces their profits.)

And, similarly, another theory is that Disney wants people to pay the premium for coming to the parks in December by forcing them to get day tickets rather than a pass.

I think there were more. Those are the ones that I recall off hand.

1 Like

He seems to dismiss many theories: AP lack of APRs, staffing (can be controlled with APRs)

Possible financial reasons (day tickets are a bad value but generate profit) and stop allows a price hike when they return.

1 Like

Oh. I remember one more. On a more “positive” side, he said it is possible Disney was trying to be “generous” to those buying an AP right now because Disney knows that much of the dates between now and the end of the year are already blocked out, and so they would be losing value. (This might explain why the Florida residents one was still being sold, since it has more blocked out dates.) BUT, he also pointed out that there are still plenty of dates available in the first half of December that someone could book a part reservation on an AP, so he doubted that one as well.

2 Likes

Yes, he dismissed that one too. I actually thought he was being a little sarcastic about that one (and a few others).

He did not address the fact that the dates that are unavailable are the ones his pass has blocked out. Of course it might be that he didn’t look beyond his booking calendar?

A “little” sarcastic? :smiley:

FWIW, I’ll jump in with another possible (albeit very speculative and controversial) reason and that is … Disney management isn’t stupid. :scream: At the end of Mickey Views video Brayden acknowledged that he estimated that with his own AP, the average cost for him to go to a Disney park was $10 per visit this year. :money_mouth_face: If you listen to the whole video, that is what he claimed. Having been an AP holder once, I can identify with that. I only bought it because I thought that I’d spend less money, all things being equal. And when we did go to WDW with my AP, my spending patterns were no different than when we did not have the pass. I figured we saved about $500 compared to what it all would have cost without the AP that year. I’ve often wondered why Disney discounts their business so much with the AP program. Disney knows that, they have my AP holder usage data after all. Given the financial pressure the company is under these days in the investment world, a move like this is no surprise. Especially If Mickey Views is right about the accrued value to an AP holder not translating into similar economic value to Disney, and if there is another price hike once the pause in sales is lifted as he also speculated about.

1 Like