Rumor: Paid FPs imminent

No. But MaxPass is what I think it should be like. Pay to play, like other parks. But sell a limited number of them.

Personally, I think Disney should adopt the Universal model. Allow on-site guests to have a limited number of free FPPs similar to Universal on-site guests get the base Express Pass. Then, allow off-site guests to buy FPP access, and on-site to upgrade if they want.

I hate FPP. I resent being limited to three when I could use 8-11 a day the old way. I hate that 3 months out I am committing to a specific park. I use language like “abhor,” “detest,” and “loathe,” very rarely in my day-to-day life, but I use them regularly as I describe FPP.

2 Likes

I must admit I like FP+. I like knowing that I can do at least 3 of our family’s must-do attractions each day ahead of time, without having to arrive early.

I haven’t used MaxPass but what I don’t like about it is 1) having to get to the park early to get the sought-after FPs, and 2) having to buy it for everyone for all days.

If we’re staying 2 weeks and have to pay $20 per person each day, just so we can use it on a couple of days for Galaxy’s Edge, that would add $1120 to the cost of tickets.

2 Likes

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn’t Universal have far fewer onsite guests? Capacity wise?

I think WDW should stop handing out any pre-passes. Day of for everyone. Maybe just make the service free for on-site.

2 Likes

So what would be the benefit of staying onsite then?

It doesn’t really bother me. And I have gotten 8 FPs in one day at DW with the current system (could have gotten more, but we were tired). I like knowing that the 3 attractions that are most important to us are scheduled for the day.

1 Like

If you are going to the parks for 14 days you have much different touring plans than a typical one-week visitor.

As some one who just goes for 5 park days per trip (even two week trip) I would die twice if I was only getting three must-do rides a day.

that “bubble” people love to wax poetic about? :face_vomiting:

No - how about the service for free?

But then you have to use them up quickly in the early part of the day, correct? And your future FP+ are for lesser rides, correct?

But at least you know you had those all-important ones. I didn’t say just 3 per day though. Isn’t it even better for those on a short trip to know you can do FEA with your 4 year old rather than have to wait for an hour with her in line because you didn’t get to the Norway pavilion in time?

Even with a 4 day trip, there are only about 3 rides you may not get an FP for in the current system.

1 Like

Yeah. I think they could find a balance, but for the sake of discussion, drop FPPs for off-site guests (which I am almost ALWAYS an off-site guest) and allow on-site guests to have FPP access like they do today. Then, off-site guests could PAY to get the FPP access. Something like that.

I DO think on-site guests SHOULD get a major benefit. They are paying gobs of money to stay on site.

4 Likes

I thought we were debating FP+ vs MaxPass at this point?

You sound like you’d rather have MaxPass but a free version. I’d rather have a free FP+

I go 6 park days in a week. The last trip we went in May 2018 I got more than 8 FPs in one day at MK. If memory serves me: our initial 3 FPs were 7dmt, BTMRR, and Space Mountain. We got extra FP for PPF, Buzz Lightyear once or twice, BTMRR, got an anytime FP for Barnstormer, which we used on BTMRR, another FP for Barnstormer, Under the Sea. That was for 5 people and we did not rope drop that day. I could have gotten HM, Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, and several others as well, but we took some breaks and saw a few shows.

Yes, my family loves BTMRR. We rode it right before close as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I stay off property. I don’t mind paying for MaxPass. I prefer MaxPass as day-of. No preplanning. NO TIERING!

2 Likes

Not necessarily.

On New Years Day we got Pirates, JC, Buzz all after 3 pm. Sure, no 7dmt but pretty much everything else was available. At Epcot thee was still Soarin, TT, SE and Mission Space at the same time. And that was just looking at the app, not refreshing constantly.

1 Like

Nope. See my post above. I did it with afternoon FP Times. We got to the park around 11ish.

It was my understanding the good ones were gone by that time of day.

OK. I’ve already given you my two reasons for not liking it as an idea for WDW. Clearly we wouldn’t stay at DL for two weeks, but I’d still have to get to the parks early to get FPs for the main rides.

We don’t like doing that, we typically arrive between 10 and 11. That’s why I like being able to plan the day with FP times to suit us.

I have to disagree here. It’s true if you do exactly the same set of rides as you were going to do before. I suspect that for most people what they do is a few FP rides, a few “infinite capacity rides” (Philharmagic, and the like), take in a few shows and then balk at the 45 minute lines for Spaceship Earth and Star Tours…and they have a great time. I doubt people are waiting in that many standby lines that they lose all the time gained by FP.

I mean, if you take the situation to the extreme where every ride is 99% FP, clearly most guests would do their FP’s, eat a meal and go back to the resort and swim and NOT wait in the 5 hr. line for Dumbo.

This is of course independent of the fact that if you’re on this forum, you are probably already ahead of 99.99% of guests in terms of maximizing the benefits of FP for your price point.

1 Like

They most definitely were not. I got a PPF for after our BOG dinner. I grabbed that sometime in the late afternoon. It took more work than the rest I got, but It was definitely there. The only attraction I never saw was 7dmt.

1 Like