Rumor: Paid FPs imminent

LOL. Or they start tiering FP’s to the class of resort.
"Stay at an All-Star resort over Christmas and enjoy our MVP FastPass Pack which includes FastPass access for the first and last hour each day, at the following:
MK: Philarmagic, People Mover, CBJ, Barnstormer
AK: UP!, Bug, Primeval Whirl, RoL
EP: Figment, Three Caballeros, O Canada, Turtle Talk
HS: Muppet Vision, Fantasmic, Mermaid "

1 Like

Good lord, @JD613, don’t give them any ideas! :wink:

2 Likes

Just you wait… priority boarding those gondola’s will probably be a fastpass option, lol

1 Like

There will be a fastpass option just to make a resort reservation for Xmas time this year.

2 Likes

But it will be via a telephone number that is publicized in exactly one press release made on July. 4th, never to be seen again- nor found anywhere on the website. People will have to find out about it from blogs & podcasts!

1 Like

I loved visiting Disney in the 90’s. We had low level employees telling us what a great place it was to work, and that it was a company that you could have a career in. Everyone was a “cast member.”

Our last trip in 2015, I noticed the huge differences. Employees in counter service restaurants looked dead-eyed. Some of the staff in the resorts looked stressed out and rushed. Then there was that story about all the homeless Disneyland employees… It takes away from the magic to be around people who seemed to be struggling to get by. Disney vacations are expensive, I would rather that money go to the people who put in the hard work to make the magic happen. Not line the pockets of the Board of Directors.

This… is another layer added onto that. The increasing class differentiation in Disney vacation experiences. To a certain extent, yeah. That’s how the world works. But, paid FP is not a “neutral” change. You’re literally paying to jump the queue. How does it feel to be a family who saved for 3, 5, or even 10 years to make a trip happen, and then watch people with more money skip to the front of the line on every ride? It will mean that poor families have to wait longer to ride Splash Mountain.

I know for a lot of people this is just capitalism. But the truth is, it’s a value choice. Disney could decide to pursue growth in lots of different ways. They could decide that their profit margins are high enough, and leave it at that. This is a value choice, and it’s not aligned with my values.

4 Likes

Thing is, Disney is about the only amusement/theme park in the world that DOESN’T offer a paid way to do this.

2 Likes

And that set them apart. I think of it as akin to their legendary customer service. Disney isn’t your average theme park.

4 Likes

But Disney is so much more than an amusement part…

That’s one way of looking at it. Actually, Disney is the first (major) park to offer a “skip the line” benefit, which was never pay. But when other amusement parks saw it, they saw the opportunity to make money off the same idea AND keep it from ruining the experience in the way it did at Disney. (Disney’s version ended up creating significant backups in standby lines because they were over-issuing FPs.)

So, the others sold them, but only in limited quantities. Not enough to make the standby lines terrible, but enough to make some extra money. Disney eventually learned their mistake and switched to FPPs, which does a BETTER job of balancing the load. But now, they are behind the curve in terms of making money off an idea that they invented! :slight_smile:

True, but I would say this is one example of what sets DW apart from the rest of the amusement parks.

They have a paid FP system at my local amusement park (we are season passholders) and honestly it is not used extensively by most park goers. When we do see people utilize it, usually one family the entire time we are in line, my husband rolls his eyes and says to me that we are just commoners. At Disney, it doesn’t feel that way because anyone has the opportunity to get FPs.

Edited to add: I actually do see a back up in the line at my local amusement park from FPs. They hold back the line at certain points, creating a strange illusion about how long the line actually is. I have found waits to be longer, as it is up to the employees managing the line to determine when to let the standby line go through, even when there is no one waiting at the FP line. It is not as smooth as Disney’s FP and standby exchange.

2 Likes

This is what I see, as well. Granted, except for the first nice Saturdays of the season… those parks don’t have the massive crowds.

1 Like

For me, I’ve NEVER liked FP. Ever. Hated it from day one, and continue to hate it. Experience at Disney is worse because of it, not better.

How so? I thought FP markedly improved our experiences…

2 Likes

I’m feeling some sarcasm in the Force… :wink:

1 Like

I actually like the current FP system better than the paper ones. It improved our experience as well. But to each their own.

Only the VERY WELL informed benefit. But in general, all it does is make people THINK they are benefiting. It just shifts the wait around. You wait longer in all the lines that you wait in standby so that you can wait less time in the lines that you have FPP. In the end, it pretty much balances out. (There are a few exceptions, but I’m speaking for MOST guests.)

So, you THINK you are saving time. “Oh, look! I didn’t have to wait 30 minutes! Aren’t FPPs great?” But nevermind you waited an extra 5 minutes in 10 other rides because you didn’t have the FPP and those with the FPP made the standby line slower.

In the meantime, it has forced EVERYONE to have to pre-plan EVERYTHING ahead of time. You can no longer just go to Disney and decide what to do. It is all a game, now, causing so much stress and build-up to the actual experience. I feel so much stress about getting to Disney now that prior to FPPs you didn’t have to deal with.

4 Likes

I liked the paper ones. And now I like DLR MaxPass even better. Like the old ones, but on the phone.

Have you had a chance to use MaxPass at DLR?

I remember spending very little time in line, except for characters, in 2011, our last pre-FPP trip.

I disagree. I don’t preplan everything. We do plan on what attractions to do at rope drop and some shows to see, TS meals to eat, and our initial 3 FPs. After that, we get on what we want to or what we can find additional FPs for. But if there were no FPs, I would be planning my attractions all day long to make sure we did them with minimal wait time.

1 Like