Rumor: Paid FPs imminent

Going back to the rumor of when they might implement a new paid FP system… Isn’t there some precedence? Does anyone know what the turn around time and process looked like when they moved from the paper fast passes to the current FPP system? I know it’s not a perfect precedent, but seems like it could offer some insight.

I realize we are still in the rumor stage, but with an August trip already booked, I’m certainly following closely like so many others here.

(PS. Man, there is a lot going on in this thread.)

1 Like

Wasn’t the switch to FPP a multiyear, multibillion dollar investment?

Yeah. Switching from the old system to the new system meant creating an entirely new infrastructure for it, doing away with the machines all around the parks, etc.

But changing the FPP system to how they dole them out is, effectively, just a “configuration change” in their computer systems. Sure, there is some work to be done, but it is far easier and less expensive for them now.

2013 - threatened in spring. Tested in August.

Ah, right. That makes sense. But at some point they must have said, “And now you can book your fastpasses online.” But I guess that really only needed to be 60+ days in advance of any booked trip. The key being they weren’t really taking anything away. Got it. Thanks.:+1:

So it seems Martin Smith has now been given the OK to “clarify” certain things. Specifically this is what he’s said:

[B]
“Free” FP will still be available as they are now. However they may not be free for the more popular attractions, or the ratio of “free” fast passes for the more popular attractions may be reduced. The ratio may be fluid, or alter over time. You may find you can’t get a “free” fastpass for Mine Train since they’ve “all run out” but you may then magically be able to pay for one.

There may be at least three different packages of paid fast pass available. As I understand it there maybe a limit on re rides (no more fast passing BTM then getting another one in the same day) depending on the product purchased.

This may be implemented on the newest and shiniest attractions first, once said attractions begin to take fastpass. The ratio here will possibly start quite low in favour of free passes and slowly change.

This may happen later this year. [/B]

Again, there are lots of details still to emerge. But it’s clear there will be various “packages” you can purchase for extra FPs and/or for rides that have reached the limit of “free” FPs.

The idea of some of these packages limiting you to one ride a day, whilst another package may allow you to ride again is kinda like the DLP version.

Nothing yet about whether it would have to be for all days of a ticket etc. Can you purchase package A for your AK day, and package C for your DHS day (for Star Wars)?

Logistically from a planning perspective, it would be tricky. Try and book rides A,B and C at day 60. No luck for any of your days? OK, upgrade day 3 and get that shiny ride. How fast would they sell out? For those staying offsite, would there actually be any packages left? Might there only be the most expensive, or only the cheapest?

2 Likes

True today, but Universal is likely going to be adding a 3rd and 4th gate in the next 4-5 years. I think you’ll see them start to approach Disney in regards to cost, complexity, and crowds as that happens.

It’s this part that upsets me the most. Fine, have “upcharges” for better FP scenarios… But once day of comes, let it be a free for all.

1 Like

On days starting with T, you can get 3 FPPs, except holidays. Days with an S in the name limit them to two, except if there is a waning moon, in which case you can get one, but then pay for 2. On days where the temperatures are more than 3 degrees higher than the average, they will limit same-day FPPs to those people who are willing to sing “Let It Go” publicly. But if it is 3 degrees lower than the average, they will allow everyone to obtain a same-day FPP if you didn’t already pre-book one. (But if you pre-books more than one, you’re okay.)

Now, if you want more FPPs than the rules above allow, you can pay a percentage of either your age, or your shoe size for each additional FPP, as long as there are any left. If there aren’t and you are willing to pay twice your age PLUS your shoe size, you can still get one.

Hmm. I’m sure I’m forgetting something.

:wink:

11 Likes

This is like the DLP system. And I think also Tokyo, or Shanghai?

One option allows you one front of line pass to every ride in the park.

And one allows you unlimited front of line passes.

And the cheapskates have to ride stand-by for everything! :wink:

1 Like

This will push my hardly-a-fan husband off the grid. He already finds the price tag associated with the visit nauseating and the amount of required planning and maneuvering absurd. I think my Disney days are numbered.

3 Likes

My complaint (and possibly an issue for others with young kids as well) is that I don’t know what my kids will be able to ride until we get to the parks. For some rides, they may be right on the cusp of the height requirements and others they may chicken out. I am ok with paying (without reason) for FPs for the major E-Tickets, but I hate the idea of paying and then not using them due to kid’s heights and/or fears which may be somewhat unknown 60 days in advance.

Example - My daughter keeps going back and forth on whether she will try 7DMT and SDD on our next trip. If she skips them, then my wife and I will skip them too.

It also will be unfortunate for people who pay for FPs and then the weather is terrible and they decide to stay at the resort. It’s one think to waste a free FP, it’s another to waste one that you paid for.

I know … it’s my problem and I’m an adult who can make my own decision on whether I want to take the risk. I’m just venting :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes … If you volunteer for a day to clean up the poop from the horses that pull the carriages at Fort Wilderness, then you get a free FP for a crappy ride (pun intended).

3 Likes

right there with you. My DH feels the same

1 Like

So I just got off the phone with the CM. I explained my concerns. She insists there is no plans to change FP at this time. I am to ignore everything but what is on their official accounts. She also said they do not sell FPs, but I corrected her on that in regards to the CL FPs at 90 days. She did acknowledge that. She said she would pass my concerns onto the leadership team, but I did tell her I did not trust that the only way to get information is through their official Disney sites. There have been many things released, including price increases for tickets today, that have not been announced and are being implemented. I don’t know if I accomplished anything, but it was worth letting them know my concerns.

3 Likes

I feel like CM operators don’t have half the information forum readers do… but I agree that having officially registered was worth your time. I plan to email them myself later tonight.

2 Likes

Agreed. There is no reason the CMs would know this yet. They won’t be told until it is necessary for them to know. And even if they asked they would still be told the official line.

This info is coming from much higher up, and still being discussed as to the details and yet they are reasonably happy for it to be published on a fan site…

She asked me where I saw it. I just said on several social media websites. I get the feeling that she may have known something, but they are typically trained to give the official line. I find it hard to believe that kind of rumor hasn’t made it through at least some of the ranks.

1 Like

She likely has her script…

1 Like

She likely has no clue, since half the time they don’t know what is legitimately going on… :roll_eyes:

6 Likes