Rumor. Frontierland Shooting Arcade to be replaced with DVC Lounge (UPDATE:Semi-Confirmed)

Jim and @len hinted at this on yesterday’s podcast. Considering how many DVC people are on this platform this might be very popular

3 Likes

Waiting for Disney to make this official. Shouldn’t be long.

We might organize a last-day-of-operations meetup here too.

12 Likes

@len Could electric vehicles be coming to WDW Tomorrowland Speedway as well?

Column: Disneyland is ditching gas cars at Autopia. It’s a great first step for Tomorrowland (latimes.com)

6 Likes

As DL appears to be happening I think it’s just a matter of time before WDW follows suit.

5 Likes

Aww, just when I was developing a liking for this. I did it for the first time last trip and it was fun!

5 Likes

Go over to Fort Langholm. You can shoot at the Big Thunder carriages!

5 Likes

no. no no. no no no.

The shooting gallery needs to go, but Disney… c’mon.

We don’t need a DVC lounge there. Use Stitch’s little ride that’s been down for years now over in Tomorrowland.

What should go there should be something that’ll actually be an attraction. That stretch is already empty beyond shops. The bears will be the only thing on that whole road.

4 Likes

It’s not a very big space, though. What kind of attraction would you envision?

No idea, but not “sitting area”.

1 Like

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Disney doesn’t need more lounges!! The shooting arcade is wonderful and fun!!! Seriously the puns and jokes are priceless!

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

1 Like

Fair enough.

Honestly, I would see a whole reinvention of the area. If they took the arcade, shops, and the area used by Aladdin, they would have enough space to do something interesting. Aladdin is fine for the kids, but the capacity of that thing isn’t doing Disney any favors.

2 Likes

Oh, this is sweet, sweet music to my ears! I agree with the author of that LA Times article, the 2016 refurb of Autopia was the time to switch to electric and they didn’t do it. I am so excited that this change is finally coming!

3 Likes

Agree. The whole area is basically a barren hallway.

As I said before, instead of worrying about Big Thunder and Beyond, they should work on updating what they already have(and not have it take a millennia to finish). Of course, it still doesn’t have to be an either/or proposition, but we know Disney will only do 1.

it’s also ‘sounding’ its age a lot. Every time i walked by it the past few trips, I hear this loud squeaking coming from it.

that needs to happen with a quickness. And maybe an update to the track too (but i’m not holding my breath on that one)

3 Likes

I think it’s good that they aren’t using that space. That means it could still be used for something else.

1 Like

rocket75

4 Likes

I was so shocked they didn’t! I hope WDW follows and makes the switch too.

4 Likes

If I had to guess, switching to all electric might have posed some issues with battery technology then compared to now. They would need to come up with a way to ensure the vehicles could last all day. It wouldn’t just be a matter of swapping out the vehicles.

But I think today is a different story. Battery technology is better and cheaper. Seems more do-able for an all-day, every day, type attraction. They will need to swap out the batteries much more often, though, so there is still a much higher maintenance cost, long-term.

I feel the conversion to all electric for the Speedway is inevitable…and apt, considering all electric vehicles is the future, whether in a few years, or a few decades.

4 Likes

Yes, it was probably about the logistics of charging that many vehicles and keeping them charged all day.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.

3 Likes

I’d presume they’d employ this type of technology: Wireless Charging. Cost is high at $2M per mile, but I’d also presume they wouldn’t need the entire track to be able to charge - just enough of the track to break even over the day effectively. But even if it was the entire track, that’s probably a ton easier logistically than having to take cars in and out of service to charge.

5 Likes