Rumor being reported: Spaceship Earth refurb postponed-will be open when EPCOT re-opens

There is also a lot of uncertainty right now. The projections made that justified new projects were all based on life pre-covid. Economic and behaviour changes can lead to different return on investment from what was originally predicted, and they might need more information to know what should continue and what should be removed or postponed.

2 Likes

Just FYI, what the site currently looks like. Iā€™m guessing some value engineering is going on right now at WDI.

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1263850718387212288

3 Likes

Looks like a perfect location for a dance party (shudder)ā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doing some rough math based on best guesses and assumptions, Disney is losing somewhere around 20 million in Park revenues, and another 10 million in resort revenues per DAY. This is likely a low-ball estimate and I did not consider the water parks, mini golf, etc. If you multiply that by the number of days that WDW will be closed, you get roughly a 350 million dollar loss of gross revenue for the period. And when it reopens, the capacity will be much lower, so they wonā€™t be back at pre-Covid revenue for (Iā€™m guessing) most of a year. Of course I have no access to receipts before and after Covid, so there is no way to determine the net losses.

When doing long range planning for major capital expenditures, unexpectedly losing a full quarterā€™s income is a major issue to deal with. Word is that theyā€™re trimming 900 million from a several billion dollar capital improvement plan; we donā€™t know if that will mean cutting full projects or ā€œvalue engineeringā€ projects, or a combination of both. Iā€™ve heard from a fairly reliable source that Rat, Tron, GotG, Space 2020, and the SW hotel will be completed as planned; everything else is a question mark.

Iā€™m guessing that Tron will be the highest priority as they want that open for next yearā€™s 50th. Rat is so far along in itā€™s completion (Iā€™ve heard but not confirmed that the ride system is already installed and itā€™s just a matter of finishing the exteriors, detailing, and training operators). Space 2020 is also very close to being operable. Iā€™m sure they want GotG done by the EP 40th anniversary. As the SE rennovation was supposed to be major, lasting over a year, I have to assume that by cancelling (or at least postponing) that project will put quite a few dollars back in the budget. With the major recent additions to AK and DHS I think itā€™s safe to say that those two parks will see very little in the way of additional construction (unless you count the SW hotel as being an off-shoot to DHS).

5 Likes

For Epcot, as you said Ratatouille is almost done so that should be completed. I think they will have to somehow finish out the Innovations area refurb, whether that means demolishing it into an open area with a few trees and benches, or leaving whatā€™s left of the buildings and putting retail in there, they will have to do something. They could abandon SE refurb indefinitely, but I suspect after they turn the cycle in a few years they will pick that project back up since it is due for some sort of refurb (maybe scaled down from initial plans).

Mary Poppins will probably be cancelled, but they really need another ride in WS, particularly on that side, so I hope they someday come back to it and do something even bigger than they would have done. Probably 7-10 years away though.

1 Like

My understanding was Mary Poppins was going to be little more than an indoor carousel or something. Not a major ride at all.

1 Like

Iā€™m going in December, what are the chances SE renovation gets postponed til next year?

Probably pretty good. They havenā€™t announced whether it will be refurbed or not.