Rules about 13yo's alone

So I see the official rule is to enter a theme park children under 14yo must be accompanied by an adult. However, it also states to ride rides children 7+ can ride alone. If I enter the park with the two 13yos (turning 14 on the trip) do they need to be with us in the parks too until one of 'em turns 14 or just that we’re both in the parks but not necessarily in the same place within the park. Like can DH and I have a nice sit-down dinner while they ride rides and get quick service?

2 Likes

Once of them is 14 can they do table service dining alone?

Edit: I just really don’t want to eat at Rainforest Cafe and the daughter loves it! LOL

5 Likes

When I took my then 13 year old niece a few summers ago she went off with my then DS7 a few times to ride Splash or EE…she also went on 7D with my DD8, DS7 and DD5 without me. No issues. As far as I’m aware they were never questioned.

Also, I think that illustrates how ridiculous Disney charging a 10 year old adult ticket prices is. If the kid can’t get by getting in alone how in the world should that qualify them as an adult?! I’m sorry but paying adult prices for my 10 y/o is redonk. :roll_eyes:

15 Likes

I know and the rule does not apply about eating off the adult menu either because what 10 year old wants scallops. They want mac n cheese off the kids menu. Okay my daughter definitely looks older than 13 and they are turning 14 on the trip. I just wondered if I book her a dinner at Tony’s Town Square without us will they seat her. That’s one of her favorite places in the world and to me it’s not bad but I want to try Jungle Navigation Co. She’s not interested in that. The way it is stated it just says “to enter a theme park” not within the theme park you have to be side by side so I’d think it’s okay.

1 Like

Just went and tried it to see. One person has to be 18+ to book the reservation. Sigh. Rainforest Cafe and Tony’s Town Square it is…

Maybe just to book? I would at least call and ask before settling on those places for myself.

2 Likes

How would they pay if dining alone? Can children’s magicbands have charging privileges?

yes, plus my daughter has a Visa debit card and teen checking account I can dump money in. But her magic band works with her pin. She uses it every trip to buy stuff in stores or get water/popcorn/pretzels. It always made her feel grown up. She was always with me but wanted to do it herself.

2 Likes

I think what I might do is make her do her table service for lunch for places like Rainforest Cafe (and I can eat light) and then she can do quick service dinner while hubby and I do Tiffins or something for example.

2 Likes

Oh that’s great. Teaching her valuable life skills early! I would try booking the reservation and just going with her to check in maybe. I would imagine plenty of under 18 kids on school trips dine at TS.

2 Likes

Well certainly a 16yo could take a date out to eat right? I went on dates (I mean to Chili’s and IHOP) but that’s table service! as a high schooler LOL

4 Likes

I was thinking exactly that! Surely area teens take dates to Epcot or DD to eat.

I love this! It inspires me to take my DS12 (Will be turning 13 in August) to the bank to set up something similar

1 Like

It’s wonderful. When they get bday checks from the grandparents they can deposit them themselves with the mobile app on their cell phones and they use my amazon account or use the money when out with friends. DS16 just bought his own clothes with his best friend last weekend.

3 Likes

“Remember that reservations are recommended at full service restaurants. A teen under 18 will need an adult to make the reservation.” Found this online in an article about Teens going on dates to Disney. So I think what I may have to do since I have to be the manager of the reservation is make my hubby the manager of the date night reservation. I don’t think it would let me have to two rezzies for the same time with me as the manager but it sounds like they can do the meal without us.

3 Likes

FYI I have been on hold for over 50 minutes trying to answer this question. Did part of their lay-off include Dining phone operators?

1 Like

There was no area that layoffs didn’t touch

Well except maybe C-suites :wink:

1 Like

110+ min on hold! I’ve noticed I’m being redirected to Canada’s Disney site as well. Is their American site broken? I’m guessing they laid of tech support too because the website is often wonky.

2 Likes

I’m sad to say that I have spent too many 2+ hour holds :pensive:

131+ min so far All to ask if once my daughter is 14 can I book her table service without me present lol