RotR Important Details and Opening Day Timeline

It may come as a surprise to some who where there in the chaos this morning, but today was actually a very good operating day for RotR. Only 2 significant downtime events that I could detect, each an hour plus, but the ride was operating almost 12 hours today and ran continuously for 6 of those. That’s a good sign.

Of course I may have missed some minor downtime but if they evacuated the whole ride and queue I think I would have been able to tell because typically that disrupts BGs for an hour.

As a result, they were able to cycle through all 95 BGs issued today of which I am aware. They also presumably cycled through all previous day FPs.

So tomorrow should be smoother since they will be starting from a clean slate. I would bet they will issue slightly more BGs tomorrow - maybe 120? Which would mean they will run out later. But don’t wait for a later BG unless you want to risk not getting one or being dropped at the end of the day (in exchange for FP and 1-day PH perhaps).

Lastly, I saw confirmation from a screenshot of the app that MDE will NOT allow you to get a second BG in a single day. (ETA: But doesn’t hurt to try!)

11 Likes

Looks like the ride actually started operating an hour later today than it did on previous days. I know we’re too soon to determine what “normal” is going to look like for Rise of the Resistance, but it’ll be interesting to see if the new plan is to start running the ride around 7:30 AM or just whenever it’s deemed ready to go in the morning.

I’m also wondering if now that word is getting out about how early you have to arrive to claim a Boarding Group spot if that’ll make mornings even busier than they’ve been. I’d also guess that there’ll be some impact with tomorrow being a weekday and fewer locals free to visit the new ride, but historically that hasn’t made as much difference in Disney World as in Disneyland.

Whatever the case, I hope the ride gets a good rest tonight and is ready for a busy week!

2 Likes

Staying at pop tonight & tomorrow. Noticed that the Skyliner says it starts at 6:30am- any idea which will get to DHS first tomorrow early morning- bus or Skyliner?

1 Like

Buses have been reported running as early as 6am. I would bet buses will be first but if it’s convenient for you to scope out the Skyliner before you head to the bus, it might be worth checking.

1 Like

At POFQ now, what’s the best plan for tomorrow morning? Where should we Lyft too and what time do the fine folks here think we should shoot for?

My standard advice is to arrive no later than 6:30am if you want a morning BG. Arrive no later than 7:30am if you want a BG at all. If you really want to be at the front of the pack, come at 5:00-5:30am. I wouldn’t be surprised if some people continue to show up at 4am.

ETA: Lyft to HS main entrance.

3 Likes

7:02 am, boarding group #46

6 Likes

At 7:30am listed ‘now boarding’ boarding groups are 13-21

2 Likes

8:35am app lists boarding groups 13-33

1 Like

@Jeff_AZ Thank you so much for updating this thread regularly. This is a godsend to me

So we are staying at POFQ Saturday and from this thread I’m gathering getting to the bus at 6am cause that’s when they seem to start to run and I should be at the park by 6:30 at the latest? Which should mean we get an early BP.

Also say I tap in to get a BP and it gives me a high number (and we know we can’t come back late afternoon, evening for it cause we have MK reservations which I don’t want to lose), can I cancel the BP giving someone else a chance? I don’t want to hold on to a BP I know I won’t use in that case

1 Like

Yes you can cancel the BG in the app. Theoretically I guess you could get a really early one but, if one wanted a later one, drop the original BG and get another.

Not sure when buses unofficially start though, might be closer to official park opening (which has been much later than actual park opening).

2 Likes

If you had arrived by 6:30am today, you would have been there at park opening and secured a morning BG. I can’t confirm buses were running at 6am but if anyone has confirmation, let me know.

BGs ran out sometime between 8:15-8:30am. If anyone can confirm that as well, I would appreciate it. BGs are moving much faster today than usual. Already up to 38 at 9:10!

3 Likes

Anyone know how many people are in the boarding groups? And how quickly they call the next group?

I’m curious to know if we can figure out actual ride capacity from this data.

I did read in an article that the ride can handle 2000+ riders per hour…but I’m wondering about the “+” part of that. Let’s say it is 2000 riders. Then in a day that has, oh, 16 operating hours, that means it can handle around 32000 individuals. I’m not sure what total max capacity at HS actually is.

1 Like

Day 5 Timeline (12/9/19)
Link to OP

5:08am @merrilys arrives at HS
5:40am @Jlh12495 “15 people back” at HS; “about 300” people outside entrance
5:48am @ThorKat arrives at HS
6:28am Park opened; merrilys through tapstiles - BG 15
6:29am ThorKat through tapstiles - BG 16
6:30am Accepting BGs 1-12; @kdcat through tapstiles - BG 17
6:40am @Razsav through tapstiles - BG 30
6:43am @Mcfudge through tapstiles - BG 34
6:45am @Curiouser through tapstiles - BG 37
7:03am @GeekByExample through tapstiles - BG 46
7:18am ThorKat joins queue (BG 16) - no wait
7:44am ThorKat completes ride
8:00am Published park opening; Accepting BGs 1-27
8:25am MDE stops issuing BGs
8:30am Accepting BGs 13-32
9:00am Accepting BGs 14-37
9:30am Mcfudge (BG 34) completes ride
10:00am Accepting BGs 28-45
10:05am Geek joins queue (BG 46)
10:55am Geek completes ride
11:00am Accepting BGs 37-56
12:00pm Accepting BGs 46-66
12:30pm Ride down
1:00pm Accepting BGs 49-70
2:30pm Ride back up
3:00pm Accepting BGs 66-77
4:00pm Accepting BGs 70-87
5:00pm Accepting BGs 80-96
5:25pm Ride down
6:00pm Accepting BGs 89-100
6:10pm Ride back up
7:00pm Accepting BGs 96-114
8:00pm Accepting BGs 97-115 (highest issued); No further BGs issued or called
9:00pm Published park closing

8 Likes

We are at SSG this week and hoping to do ROTR either Thursday or Friday. I was on MDE and tracking whether BG were available. They were gone by 8:36. I think they had been available as late as 8:25.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen good confirmation but my hunch is 100 per BG. It’s a nice round number. They have gone through at least 1 BG per minute at park opening, which I think 200 people entering per minute seems a bit much?

Up until last night, they had been averaging 7-10 BGs per hour. But then last night they called 14 BGs per hour for the last two hours. And today has been going pretty fast - already 38 BGs called in 2.5 hours of operation. 15 BGs per hour. So seems to me they were operating at 1000 capacity per hour and now as high as 1500 with potential to reach 2000 in ideal conditions?

Again, all just conjecture.

5 Likes

Thanks - I’ll go with 8:25. They were all gone when I woke up and immediately checked at 8:30am eastern.

Gives me a bit of hope that as the ride becomes more reliable and efficient, they will be a be able to accommodate more BGs…perhaps eventually even drop the BGs…although, I’m thinking they should keep the BGs for a while…at least through the chaos of Christmas, if not longer!

2 Likes

9:30am- BG groups 23-42.

Have to assume the boarding group system will be around for a while- at this point my only complaints are that it feels like you need to Uber or drive to get to HS by park open- and they don’t exactly tell folks when the BG reservations open.

2 Likes

According to Josh from EasyWDW:
“My guess is that there are around 200 people assigned to each boarding group”

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/disneys-hollywood-studios-rope-drop-after-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-opens/

The article also contains a chart showing the current boarding group being called, on average, over the first three days that Rise of the Resistance has been open.

I’m going early March 2020 and from what I’ve seem, I do wish that BG remains until then,

If BG aren’t in use at that time, I can’t believe we will have RotR, MFSM and MMRR running without FP+. What a mess it would be to fit all those 3 during your day, in addition with SDD if you can’t secure a FP+ for it…

4 Likes