Rope drop mania

While lots of people have their opinions of how to do Disney, It’s YOUR trip. You’ve done the hard work: the research and the planning. If you want to stroll down Main Street U.S.A, then do it.

I do agree that Starbucks could very well be super busy and might put a wrinkle in making it to your Peter Pan fastpass. You may want to consider grabbing a coffee elsewhere or maybe later since you want to take your time and soak it all in.

Have a great trip!!

7 Likes

I love you too @SallyEppcot

1 Like

make sure to travel down the street about 5 scooters/walkers across minimum :wink: :joy:

3 Likes

I have a scar from Memorial Day. Blood and everything. Ruined my new sneakers! But that trip, I was traveling with an ER physician and she declared it not stitch worthy. Just.

2 Likes

YOU apparently do not not understand that when a person puts in enough hours to secure a PhD on planning this Disney Death March, YOU need to get out of the way.

4 Likes

Me? Your YOU is undefined. Shame on you.

(Hi Butch! How’s Elwood?)

2 Likes

And monies. Don’t forget all the monies! That degree don’t come cheap!

2 Likes

Well this sure has been an interesting read!

My 4 year old is going to get up at the crack of dawn, bursting with excitement, and begging to go to MK as soon as possible. We want to see the welcome show (yes, I know it’s just a little thing), and we want to get there early enough to mosey down main street, spend half the day in the park, leave before the little one has a meltdown, and go enjoy the pool for the afternoon. Just like those who want to bolt to the back of the park, I have also spent hours, days, months planning and have also spent many thousands of dollars on this vacation (it will actually be our first vacation in 5 years and probably the last for a while after). So, I have just as much of a right to show up at rope drop as they do and I can walk at a snails pace if I want to, just like they can run if they prefer. I honestly wasn’t asking for permission to walk slowly. I don’t need it. I just wanted to make sure I had enough time.

That said, I don’t plan to push myself to the front of the line and block people. Nor do I plan to walk down the center of the street, holding hands, taking up 10 feet of road. I have no interest in getting in the way of other peoples ambitions. I’ll watch the show and walk to the entrance and whoever is in front of me, is in front of me, and whoever is behind me is behind me. Most people will probably be in front of me since I don’t plan to speed walk.

I really don’t think its fair to say rope drop is only for people who want to move fast. I paid for my ticket too. I planned too. I have an excited 4 year old too. I may not ever get back to Disney. I’m not going to step aside and pave the way for others to enjoy their vacation while sacrificing my own. I think we can all get what we want.

13 Likes

Well said. I hope you make a million magical memories! Enjoy your vacation however you’d like to.

2 Likes

Not just a little thing, the Welcome Show is worth watching :slight_smile: i try multiple times a trip if I can and cry every single time.
Enjoy your vacation at your pace to heck with everyone. you will have an amazing time :smiley:

4 Likes

Also, thanks for the tips! It’s so helpful to know what we will actually have time for.

I’m super disappointed to hear that Main Street Bakery is a Starbucks. I thought it would be a spot for baked goods I don’t see regularly at home. I’m not a fan of Starbucks coffee at all. Where else in the MK can I get a good cup a joe? We don’t need breakfast since we plan to eat at the hotel. I just wanted a pastry and a coffee. I probably will skip MSB if it’s just Starbucks.

4 Likes

if you’re heading back to Fantasyland for Peter Pan, perhaps afterwards pop in to Gaston’s Tavern. I’ve heard the cinnamon buns are to die for. I think they should have coffee there, it won’t be Starbucks, but I think Joffrey’s

3 Likes

I’ll check out Gaston’s Tavern. Thanks! Cinnamon Buns to die for sounds perfect.

2 Likes

Good for you! Have an awesome time! The way YOU want to do it!

2 Likes

That’s just the right point of view, you’re going to do just fine. I’m not a fan of Starbucks being everywhere either, and it used to be a standard Disney run bakery. Luckily you can get joffrey’s coffee just about anywhere that isn’t SB. if you are staying in a mood or deluxe you’ll also have a coffee maker in the room.

And just so you’re aware once you are your kids beaming you’ll probably find a way to cone back lol.

1 Like

Well said. I remember the first time we took our sons to Disney. Once we got in to Town Square, the boys, aged 6 & 9 just stood and stared at the castle. They just froze for a couple of minutes, started smiling and then got soon excited. The eldest couldn’t contain his excitement and was jumping around going “We’re really at Disney” over and over. The little one just squeezed his brother’s hand, while we and their granny welled up.

That moment was priceless. It wasn’t at rope drop cos we were staying offsite and had granny with us. But that is what wdw magic can do. Don’t drag your little one through, giver her a few minutes to take it in.

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Oh, I certainly hope we will be back. The “plan” is that we will be. But I’ve been trying to get back to Disney for 20 years and this is the first time I’ve managed it. Things are different now so I suspect that we will be able to make it back, but just in case I’m going to enjoy this as if it’s a once in a lifetime trip.

My daughter being 4 I think there are some Disney stages she can go through as she grows, so hopefully we’ll be able to give her those experiences.

3 Likes

This! Excactly what I’m thinking. The 4 year old is going to explode. She’ll be like your oldest, jumping all over the place. She does that now when we sign her up for soccer. Can you imagine her reaction to Disney? She’s the kind of kid that feels everything really BIG. And the Disney castle, oh boy.

That’s exactly the experience I want for her. I want for all of us to soak it in and bask in the moment. I remember Disney better than any other vacations when I was a kid. It’s definitely a special place.

2 Likes