Room security checks

At Universal we still got trash & towel service every day even with the DND on, so I think it’s still happening.

3 Likes

Our first experience was 2018 at Caribbean Beach. They “knocked” as they were opening the door, went straight to the bathroom where they looked in the tub and then left. Very rude vibes. Some noise about “checking something”. Definitely off putting to have someone just butt in the room. Luckily we didn’t have any littles.

I did not notice a check being performed at Saratoga Springs either in 2020 or 2022. We did get more towels and trash removal in 2022 than I expected.

We’re usually in the room in the afternoons - 1 to about 4.

1 Like

They definitely came one afternoon when both of us were in the room, I think it was twice but wouldn’t swear. There was one day DS17 had stayed in bed all day and they woke him up coming in - they knocked once which woke him a little bit and then knocked again as they entered. I’m saying they, it was just one person. He just went straight back to sleep so wasn’t sure what time it was but I was out 10-5.30 ish so somewhere in there.

1 Like

I had a similar thing happen in a hotel with an employee just strolling in like it was his room. This was before that shooting. He was just delivering dry cleaning and didn’t feel like waiting. Since then I always travel with an additional hardware way to keep the door closed.

2 Likes

I can only tell you my real life personal experience from all my trips this year. If your experience is different, then that’s great! Personally, I want them checking. However, I have not experienced or witness it at all in 2022. :man_shrugging: :innocent:

BTW - If you are in the room, they all have bars / latches / hardware that go across the door to prevent someone from entering even with a key. You should use them each time you enter if you are concerned about unwanted guests! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

They do have a tool to open the door despite that but it slows them down for sure.

1 Like

Did you not have housekeeping visits either, I’m assuming?

I did not. I put up the DND for my entire stays and no one ever entered. I am started to feel like I have to “defend” my experience. I’ve been clear about it & that YMMV. GL! :innocent:

1 Like

But…are you SURE? Maybe just to double check, you should head back there. :grin:

2 Likes

Please don’t feel that way at all! I think the questions are looking for clarity

I hate when things feel that way. I just mini-ranted about it myself yesterday (or maybe it was the day before). Anyway, I know how that feels and I hope I haven’t contributed to that at all.

3 Likes

Sorry, didn’t mean to make you feel defensive. Just clarifying. I went back and re-read your previous posts and you were very clear that no security individuals checked your room, but it was ambiguous whether housekeeping had, so I just wanted to make sure that point was clear … so no one else would have to ask. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

DH latches these first thing. I never remember. Actually he locks the house up and my car up every night. :grimacing:

2 Likes

wow! I didn’t realize it could be quite this bad

I travel alone a lot. I always use the extra latches when I’m in the room.

3 Likes

We put up DND for our 3 night Universal stay earlier this month at RPR. No one came in that we could tell. They did text me to see if we needed fresh towels or more coffee but said in the text that they wanted to respect our privacy. We did not need towels and DH had gotten more coffee from a housekeeper in the hallway.

2 Likes

We had several days at UOR in June where housekeeping didn’t come until after 4, usually when we were showering and getting ready to go out again. I declined and they just handed me a few towels at the door and moved on so it definitely wouldn’t have been considered a security check because they never entered the room.

1 Like

It’s not just a Disney thing. Many if not most hotels do this too.

Maybe but I only ever notice it at Disney. I think maybe because other hotels might be back to daily maid service whereas Disney is not. I actually hate it and find it very intrusive on relaxation days. It’s one of my few complaints about Disney hotels compared to other hotels. Just run a background check on me…LOL.

5 Likes

I don’t know if all hotels do this, but it’s only hotels in the US that do. It is not to be welcomed. It is part of an ever-increasing imposition on previously enjoyed freedoms.

The Mandalay Bay shootings were made from the high floor of a tower hotel that overlooked an area where hundreds of people congregated.

That is not the set-up at most Disney hotels. You may take an arsenal of weapons to ASMo if you wish, but you will find few targets to attack from your unprotected vantage point on the external corridors.

If we really think there is a risk then we should have airport-style security at the walk-in entrance to every hotel. No-one would bat an eyelid if I walk into AKL with a large suitcase. I can then take an elevator to a high floor and calmly set up on the corridor overlooking the atrium. I’m unlikely to be disturbed if I’m careful. Perhaps WL would be easier. I know when I was working at the fourth floor work-area no-one passed in two hours.

1 Like

This is, I think, a key point. The decision to “intrude” on guests based on this one-off scenario feels like overkill…but you can see the problem here. If a hotel decides NOT to do it, and then there is some kind of gunman situation, they will be crucified in the courtroom of public opinion. So, they do it, if only to protect their image.

It is a tricky problem. Our church instituted and continues to have a security team after there were some church shootings, as well as some failed attempts at shootings. Is it necessary? Probably not. Probably will never happen. But we do it anyhow, because…what if?

1 Like

This is why people in other countries raise an eyebrow when America describes itself as the land of the free (and the home of the brave). And when it chants USA USA USA. Greatest country on Earth.

Also the only one (amongst developed countries) where small town churches have security teams. There are three churches on my road alone. Every one of them has an unguarded open door.

2 Likes