Room Inspection

I forget to use the bar all the time and I travel for work, even though I know better. They should definitely allow you the chance to answer the door. I don’t think opening it quickly was the point, rather a lack of patience on their part.

But, I agree with @ryan1 that the show of security can be a deterrent. The Pulse night club shooter went to Disney Springs first. The visable security is presumably why he went somewhere else.

I whole heartedly believe Disney needs to let people have time to answer the door (they may not be dressed!) before waltzing in. But I also whole heartedly believe that Disney actually wants to keep its guests safe, and not just make sure the lawyers are covered. My husband is in construction safety. Nothing makes him more angry than when people assume he is just there to CYA for the company. To him, his job is to make sure everyone goes home to their family at the end of the day. While I am sure lawyers were involved at some point in the room check decision making, I also assume that the majority of the Disney security team comes to work to try to keep you safe, not to keep Disney from being liable.

2 Likes

I use the bar at night or if I am indisposed. If my family is just lounging about in the room in the afternoon, there’s no harm if housekeeping walks in so I’m not too concerned about it.

1 Like

To clarify…

If safety was the controlling ideal in construction, there wouldn’t be any construction. If it were the controlling ideal in Disney theme park operations, they’d close Disney World. These are inherently unsafe activities. You’re confusing the singular motivation of safety and security practitioners with the myriad of concerns facing corporate decision makers (of which customer safety is just one). I have no reason to doubt that your husband, just like many (if not most) of the security personnel at Disney, takes his job very seriously. But his mission, just like Disney security, is ultimately financial risk mitigation. It’s not because all corporate decision makers are heartless beasts, but because making money is the reason the business exists. Making money is the controlling ideal, and it’s a good thing for everybody involved. The inescapable fact is that in both construction and theme park operations, everyone involved (from board members to line workers to customers) has decided that the enterprise is worth the risk that at some point someone is going to get hurt. Like I said, I’m sure your husband is a conscientious safety practitioner. But I am equally sure that he can tell you some things he does that make a genuine difference in employee safety, and some things he has to do (or has had to do) that might make some people feel better but do little or nothing to keep people from getting hurt. It’s the nature of the beast.

Disney’s peeping tom policy is mostly look good/feel good. It doesn’t make anybody significantly safer, but it answers the question, “What are you doing to keep a madman from shooting up the place from his hotel room?” It’s not terribly invasive or inconvenient and it’s inexpensive. And it’s much easier than trying to explain (to a guest, politician, or juror) why you can’t really compare the Vegas incident to hotel operations at Disney for a number of reasons, and it’s not the risk you need to be the most concerned about anyway, etc., etc. So if it looks good to some people and makes them feel better about being at the resort, it’s well worth the minimal cost and effort. I just wish people wouldn’t put too much stock in it, but part of the “magic” of Disney is being oblivious to reality so it’s hard to make that argument.

1 Like

Again, it is also to look for signs of human trafficking - which is a big part of the knock and come in strategy. Everyone assumes it is only to check for weapons (exhibit A, this thread) but that is only a minor part.

1 Like