RNR and EE

I take Dramamine before both to be safe. It doesn’t make me drowsy when I’m walking around in the sunshine, so why either miss out on an experience or chance being miserable with motion sickness? I agree with the comments above noting that RnR is less likely to cause sickness due to how short it is. However, I once made the mistake of riding ToT and RnR back to back with short lines, and that was enough to do a number on me. Keeping your head back is good advice for both rides.

Well, it is one of the few rides I’ve been on where I’ve actually seen people throw up after they got off!

Now, I get motion sick on spinning rides, but I’m able to tolerate a single go on Mission Space:Orange without coming off sick. BUT, I can also tell that a second go probably would do me in. I need to kind of take it easy for about 30 minutes afterwards. I don’t get motion sick from riding in cars, etc. If you are more prone to motion sickness, then it might not be wise. On the other hand, you might be okay. They have motion sickness bags on the ride itself if it comes to that! :woozy_face::nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

Taking Dramamine is probably advisable as a precaution if you are at all worried, as @jcgoblue suggests.

1 Like

Last time I did Orange I was close to losing it on the ride. Was ok right after. I had a cousin that went on and she did not feel right for several hours after.

1 Like

Orange doesn’t make me feel sick, and I will ride it. But the pressure around my head and chest on take off makes me feel as if I’m going to pass out. It’s worse if I’m tired so I’ll only ride in the morning. I don’t get any kind of motion sickness otherwise and I’ll ride anything.

1 Like

You didn’t highlight the whole sentence.

I think this is true. The experience is really fun and great…but since there is no variation in the overall experience, there comes a time when watching the same movie over and over does become a bore. That’s the case here. You go on it knowing exactly what is happening, and you eventually learn that your “controls” aren’t really doing anything to alter the story.

BUT, if you’ve never done it, it is a really cool experience!

1 Like

Eventually?! :smile:

Yes, well…I was trying to reduce the likelihood of a spoiler.

1 Like

Yes. But if you DO fail, you can wait in the 4-hour-plus long line again and try it again, with a different outcome! :wink:

2 Likes

Agreed! I’m not sure how much fun that would be.

This only (sort of) applies to the Millennium Falcon ride - and even that is a disputed issue. Simply because it’s a “ride” it has to start and end the same way. It’s true that rider inputs will effect how the middle plays out to create interactivity, but the likelihood of “crashing” or being “destroyed” is very slim. There is talk that depending how the crew does, you will be awarded some sort of “points” that can be used to unlock some other interactive elements of SWGE. But without official announcements from Disney, this is all speculative.

Rise of the Resistance will be a “regular” ride without rider input. It may have some “random” elements programmed in (like Star Tours) so that not every ride is identical, but the riders will not have a say in what happens.

1 Like

Regarding MS. I will say up front that I have NO motion sickness issues. Anything from riding in the back of tactical Navy fighter jets to spinning at 8Gs in a military training centrifuge has caused me no problems at all (the former is about the coolest thing you could ever do, the latter a bit uncomfortable - 8 Gs is kind of painful - but still way cool).

Of all the rides in WDW, the one that has the greatest “potential” to induce motion sickness is MS Orange. As Ryan pointed out, sensory mismatch is one of the primary causes of motion sickness, and in MS Orange the semicircular canals in your inner ear are experiencing rotational forces, while your eyes are looking at a stable TV screen that is typically displaying linear motion.

The inner ear has two separate accelerometers built in: the aforementioned semi-circular canals (more on them in a bit) and the otolith organs, which detect linear motion. Keep in mind that man was designed as a terrestrial being, moving primarily in two dimensions, and not at great speeds. The otoliths are a very basic, gravity-based, sensory system designed to primarily detect tilt (e.g are you looking up or down, are you sitting or standing, etc.). This is reinforced by pressure sensors in you tissues) e.g. if you feel pressure on your butt, you are sitting, if on your back, you are laying down, If you’re wearing a shoulder harness and feel pressur against it you are likely upside down, etc.) Very basic, but they were designed for cavemen that hunted deer (and most advanced vertebrates have something at least similar). The “problem” come in when “unnatural” forces are placed on the body; a rapid forward acceleration can make you “feel” like you are tipping back and a rapid deceleration can make you “feel” like you are tipping forward. These are the premises on which Star Tours (and military flight simulators) works.

Back to MS… Any time there is circular movement around a central point, there is a centripetal force generated (the old fill a pail with water, spin around in circles, and the water stays in the pail trick). This is the entire premise of a centrifuge of any kind (MS is a centrifuge). The only reason MS spins is to generate a linear acceleration following the radius of the circle. As you are sitting in the pod, facing the center, this centripetal acceleration is pushing you back in the seat; at the “resting” rate of turn you simple feel like you are tipped back in your seat. For “take-off” the rate of turn is rapidly increases, which increases the centripetal acceleration, which simulates the “G-forces” of a rapid upward acceleration; the visuals on the TV reinforce this. Once “take off” is done, the rate of turn slows back down. By subtly adjusting the rate of turn, coupled with the visuals, it can produce a ver good effect of accelerating and decelerating along the x axis of your body.

Now back to those pesky semicircular canals; these are the buggers that play into the motion sickness issues. These guys sense changes in the turn rate, but not a constant turn. This is why you may feel as though you are turning right as the ride is starting up, but lose that sensation once it reaches its “base” rate of turn (assuming that you don’t move your head around, which is part 3 of this lecture series). However do to a bit of physiologic lag time, and frequent changes in the rate of rotation, they can become a bit overstimulated in a way that is not “natural” and does not match what the eyes are seeing and can trigger motion sickness in some people. Another “job” of the semicircular canals is to help keep you eyes physically aligned and tracking during head rotations (technically called the optokinetic reflex). This means that the “automatic” tracking that your etes are trying to do needs to be consciously overridden in order to maintain focus on the non-moving screen. This is probably why some people report headaches after riding.

I don’t know how many times they post/say do not move your hear around during the ride. This is because each ear has 3 semicircular canals, roughly aligned to the three primary axes of rotation (spinning, rolling front to back, and rolling side to side). For those prone to motion sickness, a sure-fire way to trigger it is to have one set of semicircular canals going and then suddenly change the plane of rotation (by moving your head) and get different ones going at the same time. If you keep your head basically motionless against the headrest, for the most part only the horizontal plane will be stimulated. If you look down at your knees, or tip your head from side to side, you will likely get a serious sensation of “vertigo” as you shift the planes of rotation. This is where it can get ugly.

One other factor to consider… The semicircular function my the movement of a fluid called endolymph; a kind of thick syrupy substance. Drinking alcohol causes the endolymph to become less viscous, which can cause the semicircular canals to behave strangely causing a sense of spinning and/or causing the eyes to involuntarily move from side to side (called nystagmus). This is why alcohol and motion sickness are a very bad combination. If you ever get pulled over for suspected DUI and the police shines a light in your eyes, he is looking for this nystagmus - and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Likewise “bed spins” are simply the semicircular canals saying WTF…

Sorry for the length of the post; I guess that’s what comes from being an Aerospace Physiologist and a teacher for 35 years…

OBTW - When I ride MS Orange I do it after a couple of margaritas and I move my head around a whole lot - because it’s just more fun that way…

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it have been easier just to day, “It messes with your head.”

:wink:

(Okay. I appreciate all the detail, though. Me being all into science and stuff.)

I have never been in the back of a tactical Navy fighter jet, and I so want to, and am very happy to know that my lack of MS motion sickness may qualify me :slight_smile:

Alright my fellow Cedar Point-er. All the hype around Mission Space gets me a bit nervous. I can ride literally anything in Cedar Point. Need I be concerned?

This all makes me think of the Gravitron - that old carnival ride where the floor drops out.

Nothing in Cedar Point bothers me, so for what that is worth…

1 Like

If you could handle Witches Wheel or Scrambler, you’ll be fine.

1 Like

I think it’s a little bit more nausea inducing than Scrambler. I don’t know if it’s the disconnect between the visuals and the motion or if it’s the high speed circular motion that gets me, but I feel much worse on MS-Orange than I do on Scrambler.

1 Like