Riding at Park Close Time

If you are at a park after closing, they will usually commandeer a bus for stragglers. They won’t leave you stranded at the bus stop if it’s still reasonably close to park closing (even if more than an hour).

1 Like

Our day at AK we will be driving from an off site hotel. We would only use Disney transportation that day to possibly hop to another park and back. If we decide to jump in line for FOP right before closing, our rental car will be waiting for us when we are done. The way the bus situation sounds, we would probably be better off to bite the bullet and ride FOP as soon as we’re done with everything else-then drive to another park to hop.

The benefit of getting into the Stand by line of a popular attraction just before closing has diminished since Fast Passes went away into hibernation.

In the olden days, Fast Pass riders ate 50-75% of the ride capacity but at closing time the Fast Pass riders were done for the day. Then 100% of the capacity went to the Stand-By riders. Thus the Stand-By line speed greatly increased at closing. Now almost all ride capacity is always available to Stand By.

4 Likes

They’ve always said it and it’s always been a lie.

1 Like

@missoverexcited and @Dreamer How much of a disadvantage does this put off-site guests at for rope drop purposes?

It’s been nearly 10 years since I’ve driven to a park so I couldn’t say. But pretty soon - I’m assuming from 1st Oct but I’m not sure since we’re not going till next July - there will be early entry at all 4 parks every day for on-site guests, so it’s going to be tough for offsite guests - you’ll always be behind a crowd.

2 Likes

@missoverexcited We’re headed back late-September. Sounds like we’ll be behind on-site guests, but maybe still get a decent RD spot. We originally booked mid-October, but changed plans when I realized they were starting ETPE 10/1.

1 Like

I think you will still be in a good position then.

1 Like

Honestly I think that depends on when you’re going. If it’s before the new 30 minute on-site guest entrance then the difference isn’t huge to drive versus taking Disney transportation. Especially if you are at the parking gate early.

@Dreamer OK, great! We’re headed back late-September. We originally booked mid-October, but changed plans when I realized they were starting ETPE 10/1.

We stayed offsite for the first time in July and rope dropped. Parking lots were open at least an hour early (we saw MK lot open at 7:10). For AK, we were not at the front of the pack for FOP, but did not have much of a wait once the queue opened. I believe we were on to Navi a little after 8.

1 Like