Rides down at RD

In preparation of creating a touring plan for an upcoming trip, I was looking at wait times at RD in HS this morning. I noticed that the major headliners were all down at RD…SDD, MMRR, ToT. If you don’t have a LL reserved for those rides but you schlepped your children there at RD to ride them, are you just out of luck? I also noticed that a ride that had a predicted 8 minute wait in my touring plan, actually had a 55 min wait…I assume because all of the other rides were down so it led to longer lines elsewhere. Did I just pick a whacky day to monitor or is this a frequent occurrence at RD?

5 Likes

Yes, and it happens to me all the time. I have super bad luck. :weary:

It is fairly frequent. Sometimes rides open just a few minutes late so it’s worth it to just wait it out. But other times it ends up being a significant delay. Usually if it’s going to be short, they will let people line up. If they make you disperse, it’s probably longer.

Best thing to do is make a split second decision and stick to it, unless you obtain additional information. Have a contingency plan — ToT is closed? Go to RnRC. But sometimes the best laid plans …

5 Likes

In the weekly data dump, Becky from TP has been analyzing which attractions are particularly prone to delayed openings/downtime at rope drop: Disney Data Dump October 12 2022 | TouringPlans.com Blog Some headliners are down for more than 50% of the time during the first hour of park opening! I found this info super useful to know for which parks/mornings I need to come armed with a good Plan B/Plan C that will allow us to pivot quickly in case of bad luck.

8 Likes

If your upcoming trip happens to be when it is cold, you can almost guarantee that the rides on steel rails will be down until the outside temp is over 60. The cast members have to close SDD so often in the cold, they have a set joke for it “Sorry that Slinky is down right now - it’s too cold, and after all he’s a hot dog”

2 Likes

I had no idea. Great info.

2 Likes

February is my preferred time to go to FL, but frequent ride closures are one of the big drawbacks.

2 Likes

Yeah but the rides mentioned were mainly down at RD in July too.

2 Likes