Rider Switch newbie

Used RS extensively a few weeks ago. Going to add some clarifying points as some points above aren’t correct.

1. You can have 1 RS active per person. This means you can have multiple rides active per account. Example- go to Big Thunder and get 2 RS and then go right next door to Splash and 2 more RS for 2 different people. First group rides Big thunder while the second group rides Splash. Once off swap and get 2 more RS for splash and Big thunder.
    1a. While each person can have an active RS they all can’t be for the same ride. Say your first 2 get a RS for Big thunder, if you have a second group on the same MDE go to Big thunder and get a RS it will throw away the first 2 that got Big Thunder.
  2. You do not need LL. Simply tell them you are using the standby and not LL. The return time for both options is immediate. They do not make the return time the same length as the line. It is set immediately.
    2A. The expectation is for the first group to wait in standby. They don’t check or verify. Get your RS and go do something else. Once the cast member forgets who you are, or they switch, go back and ride without waiting line with your rider swap pass which acts like a lighting lane pass.

With a group your size you shouldn’t wait in any lines period. Use the small kiddos to get RS for rides and come back. If you’re walking past a ride with RS and don’t have one active get one. Doesn’t hurt. Worst thing that happens is you don’t use it. Biggest thing is say you’re using standby and don’t use any Genie plus reservations on rides with RS unless you want to ride as a big family.

2 Likes

Follow up question… are you all on the same MDE? I assume you’re staying in 2 rooms. If you can get 2 MDE accounts set up then you could really use the system to its full potential. You could use one kid to get 2 RS and a second kid to get another 2 RS for the same ride then 4 people could ride together. This would require more thought and organization in the park, but could totally be worth it.

1 Like

Correct.

As an aside, if you’re redeeming a LL/BG reservation, all party members will have their Magic Bands scanned first to redeem the LL/BG, then they’ll scan a second time just the two members returning for Rider Swap.

1 Like

Do you know if this is universally true? I’m pretty sure for FoP when I was there in May we had to wait a while before redeeming. Maybe some rides it is immediate and others not? Or maybe they’ve changed the rules recently?

I did not know this! That seems problematic for large parties that are splitting up during the day.

I’m going to be honest that I have used this trick once in the past. However, just want to point out that this is more of a cheat than a hack, so I wouldn’t recommend it.

1 Like

So we are actually all in one room because we are in a two bedroom with littles. We barely fit (won’t on the next trip).

Most of us have separate MDE accounts but we are all linked under the same reservations and common plans.

I think the two ride thing makes sense - basically we have a group of riders 1-7. Riders 1 and 2 would hold RS on one ride, but we could go to another and rider 3 and 4 could hold RS for that right?

I could see that being particularly useful in DHS where the 5yo also may not rise everything. So the adults are going to want to ride but ride efficiently.

1 Like

Immediate return was all rides… except I didn’t try it on rides at HS (it was just me and my daughter at HS so we weren’t able to RS there). Other than that it was this way for all rides. SDMT, FOP, EE, etc. used it atleast 10 times on SDMT and it was that way the entire time. My advice, say your standby and look at it in your MDE after it is issued. If they put a delay on it oh well, but I bet they don’t.

The reason they don’t allow more than 1 RS per ride is because of people like me lol. I would just wait a few then go back and get another one for the other half and we would all ride together.

It’s absolute a cheat but it’s there for the taking if you want it.

1 Like

This is correct. Sounds like you have 9 people with park passes in your group. I think (haven’t tested more than 2 at a time due to my party size) you can have up to 5 RS active at a time. In MK you can have a day with this. Also, swap magic bands (or cards) around to ride rides. IE you don’t have to ride every ride as yourself. If your kid really wants to ride give him your magic band and let him ride with someone else.

2 Likes

You have to be on separate MDEs for this to work though, right?

1 Like

Correct. I was pointing out the reason they don’t allow it is to prevent people from abusing the system.

1 Like

Just talked through scenarios with my family. As I was explaining, wasn’t totally confident on something.

If I book us on an ILL or LL pass - single booking, everyone on it. Can we still split into two groups without pushback from CMs? Didn’t know if having the ILL or LL pass booked as one group would screw that up.

1 Like

You can ride at any point during your allotted hour. 1 can ride during the first 5 seconds and the rest can ride during their last 5 seconds.

1 Like

You can split into two groups to use your LL / ILL. However, if you are also trying to use Rider Swap in conjunction, you might have trouble getting more than one set of rider swap passes for a large party due to the issue @Runningjags noted above where a party can only have RS passes for 2 people for a single attraction. So you’ll just want all your non-riders together if you’re splitting up.

Okay cool - so for ILL and LL we will just treat it as riding group one and riding group two with no official RS - that’s what I kind of thought

ETA liners are the best - so much good info and advice!

1 Like

Just to be clear, one person CAN ride twice among your group if you combine LL with RS. But only one, even if you split your party in two.

It might help clarify if you let me know your party and give an example of when you’d each show up to ride.

1 Like

Just to reiterate… try to not use ILL for rides with RS… unless you want to ride as a group.

1 Like

Why is this? I read somewhere that all parties needed a LL pass if you wanted a LL return time. If not you get regular return time. Never used RS but am looking to soon. Please tell me why we shouldn’t have everyone on a LL pass?

1 Like

Go to to the top of the thread and read it. Let me know if you have additional questions.

2 Likes

Sorry, the ILL vs LL is getting confusing. So, you need a LL as per the original post:
The CMs were very strict about making sure all riders had a LL before handing out the RS pass, so make sure all who are able to ride the first time have it.
You are saying not to get an ILL ( the paid LL basically?)

1 Like

For any ride that is RS, whether it be part of genie is or ILL, just tell them you are riding standby.

2 Likes

Okay, I think I get it, but here are two scenarios. My type A has kicked in to full gear - so there are tables :grimacing:. “W” and “AMH” are the two twins.

Without lightning lane - 2 RS groups. . .

With lightning lane - 1 big group

Let me know if this seems to make some sense or if I’m missing something here.

1 Like