Rider Swap - New Digital Policy Implementation

I think the real important thing to remember is that rider swap is in no way convenient for people with little kids. It just helps to let both parents ride the ride with their kids.

Oh, they could. But, for example, I have a nephew (step-nephew, really) who has Cerebral Palsy. He can handle lines fine, is friendly, no need for special DAS accommodations. But I donā€™t think he could be trusted to be left alone without some parent/guardian. Heā€™s overly friendly and likely to follow some stranger who is even someone nice to him. And heā€™s actually an adult! :slight_smile:

Situations like that are tricky, it wouldnā€™t be easily to make the CMs have to make such subjective judgments.

1 Like

Understood. But in that situation, canā€™t everyone wait through the line once and one guardian wait with him near the ride loading area? Iā€™ve read reports of people doing this with kids who just donā€™t want to ride.

There will always be exceptions no matter what is done and Iā€™m all for making sure everyone can enjoy their day as much as possible, but this seems like it can be worked out without making changes.

Yes, for certain rides. It depends on the way a ride is loaded/unloaded. But a lot of rides at Disney, they are in different areas. For Space Mountain, for example, they are actually on different levels.

Anyhow, I just donā€™t think there are probably all that many people abusing the system (enough to impact wait times very much at least). I think they would make this change regardless of whether there are abuses going on our not.

I am guessing if the baby/child is having a moment and mom/dad/guardian in Party 2 cannot ride right away in FP+, they would scan you, and give you a later return time. That is just my guess though. Here is my problem with the later return times though and why I contacted TP with the issue. Your return time could be during another FP+ window or a dining reservation. If it is your third FP+ and then one member of your group has a lingering FP+ window, you cannot book a 4th FP until everyone is scanned. While that may not matter, if you have a shorter time, like a 3-4 day park trip, you are really wanting those extra FP+s if they are available. This will be our first time to use RS. I cannot gauge yet how much extra time it will take out of the day yet.

I have read reports that there is not really an end time for the return on rider swap now, but Iā€™m not sure if anyone has tested that to be absolutely sure. What I believe I read is that a rider swap will stay on your mde until you use it or get another. I know it stays in there a long time if toy donā€™t use it because we were unable to use one for test track because of ride problems (FPP line was way out of the building). You can only have one at a time, but flexibility on return time would be useful.

2 Likes

But then child and guardian canā€™t actually go ride something in the meantime.

Now, weā€™ve not actually done this ourselves, but if you are using the Standby line with RS, it is DEFINITELY worth taking advantage of if you can. When we had young ones, I do recall at least once or twice my wife nursing the baby while I was taking the first trip through the line. So, definitely a good chance to take advantage of the parallelness of it!

Yes. Having trouble building a TP counting on waiting in FP+ line twice which as heidelj mentioned above some can be long and/or unpredictable. I have not seen a premade TP plan with RS. Am I missing it? If not, do you just put an addition in your touring plan for an extra 30 minutes each RS ride for Party 2 to ride?

There is a rider swap option for the rides that offer it in touring plans

1 Like

I will go look again. I missed it. Thank you! Wonder if it is tailored to the new digital system or the old way when both adults could get separate FP+.

TP answered me as well. Thank you everyone for your thoughts! I will let you know how it works out for us.