Revenge of the Dream Trip: A Trip Report

Just checking - is everyone okay??

3 Likes

Everything is golden. This has been a trip of extreme exhaustion at nights and frantic tech issues in the morning, and a lot of just moving from attraction to attraction during the days, so thatā€™s made updates hard to get in.

Every day has been so packed, and so fun, and I ready for a weeklong coma to recover. :grinning: Tomorrow is the last day, Iā€™ll post an update probably Tuesday.

10 Likes

Glad to hear from you and that you are okay! Canā€™t wait to hear about it.

Soak in your last day! :grinning:

3 Likes

Oh hi! So, after I returned home, I immediately got laid out with covid, and life has gotten in the way of properly finishing this report. Sorry for the delay, I was honestly so excited to write things up and Iā€™m sad I didnā€™t get it done while I was there.

Day 1

The plan: Both our flights arrive in 10:20. We hope to be in the parks by 1pm. Iā€™ll be stacking LLs all morning, so hopefully weā€™ll have Smugglerā€™s Run, Runaway Railway and Slinky Dog Dash booked already. We have drinks scheduled at Ogaā€™s and dinner booked at Round Up Rodeo BBQ and hopefully get into Fantasmic. HS closes at 9:30

So, this started pretty great but went seriously sideways. My flight experience was basically perfect: breezed through security and customs, ate breakfast in the lounge, boarded the plane on time, and while boarding was going on, DBā€™d for the first time: Slinky Dog Dash (which was already in the afternoon, it was 7:03 by the time I was seated!), and Mickey and Minnieā€™s Runaway Railway, which I spent the rest of the flight pushing back so that it would be good for early afternoon. I wouldā€™ve changed it to something else, but LL times werenā€™t moving forward very fast.

My only concern was that MDE wasnā€™t loading using the plane wifi, and we were running late. But, the plane touched down at 10:30 exactly, I switched to cellular and managed to DB Millennium Falcon Smugglerā€™s Run and You Story Midway Mania.

Kitty had already landed and was waiting for me at the gate, so we headed to get my luggage and cab over to Caribbean Beach. Our room was ready (at 11:40!) but wasnā€™t the one Iā€™d requested so we went to ask at the front desk. Turns out that most of the Jamaica area is being refreshed, and my request was spot in the middle of that. They did give us a better located room, though, for rapidish access to the Skyliner station hub. Also, Iā€™d hoped for a second floor room, but boy howdy Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t need to climb stairs at the end of every day.

After putting away our sundries and a quick change of clothes, we walked over to the Skyliner and were on our way to Hollywood Studios, and were in the park by 12:30.

Between DAS and my mad liner skills, we hit Runaway Railway, Tower of Terror, Slinky Dog Dash, Midway Mania, and Rise of the Resistance (twice, back to back, an ILL and a DAS queue!) before 3:30pm. By then, it was time for Ogaā€™s for a drink.

ā€¦except we were both feeling pretty run down. What Iā€™ve not mentioned is that I woke up at 2am and was unable to fall back to sleep, which means by 3:30 I was already awake for over 13 hours, and I was feeling a little nauseated, I think from the combination of excitement, travel, and then 6 rides in less than 3 hours. Kitty similarly had been up since 3am, and was starting to fade, but we were both Going To Make It, Dammit.

We joined a table of friendly Texans, ordered a Jabba Juice and a Blue Bantha, and indulged in the atmosphere for a bit. Alcohol was absolutely out of the question, or weā€™d have passed out immediately.

After a bit of hydration, we were both feeling a little better, and made our way over to Smugglerā€™s Run for a quick, uh, run. We were engineers, and I was happy with thatā€¦ getting gusts of wind blown in my face was actually something I kinda wanted at that point.

It was now about 4:30, and we had a 5:30pm dinner booked at Round Up Rodeo, and I was not doing great. All I wanted in the world was to lie down, and luckily Kitty was also feeling pretty beat. So we skipped dinner and went back to the hotel room for a bit of a lie down.

This was, in fact, the best idea ever. We hoped that an hour or so lying down, followed by a light dinner would give me a second wind and we could make it back for Fantasmic, but by about 8:30 I was ready to pass out, so we both were sleeping by about 9pm. Not the blow-out weā€™d hoped for, but you gots to listen to your body sometimes.

Itā€™s hard, sometimes, to remember that Disney is supposed to be fun, and if you force something when youā€™re feeling terrible, itā€™s not fun. You have permission to skip dinner and fireworks and go to sleep. Tell 'em Tim told you it was ok.

10 Likes

Iā€™m sure you were so disappointed to hit a wall like that! It happens, though, and sometimes itā€™s just best to stop!!

Also, I hate that you got Covid! I hope you are 100% now.

2 Likes

:heart: Me also. Iā€™m actually furiously pissed off that I got it. 5 vaccine shots, and I mask all the time, and still got it. I might be done with all masking, when Iā€™m one of the very few doing it, it just isnā€™t effective.

The good news is that it was pretty mild, and Iā€™m basically back to normal.

4 Likes

That is good news. We were so careful for so long, and then it got us anyway. And got us again. Sigh.

So glad youā€™re back to normal though!!

1 Like

Ohhh Iā€™m so happy to hear that they are renovating Jamaica! We stayed in that area (building 45) and loved it - but the rooms needed a little refreshing. Not bad, by any means, but could be better.

And I felt the same way about the 2nd floor! I was kicking myself for not requesting it and after the first day, I was so glad we had a 1st floor room.

Sorry you hit a wall with your plans - glad you were able to rest AND that your COVID was mild.

1 Like

I did too! :rofl: Iā€™m such a troublemaker. :joy:

1 Like

Maybe this is enough to move it to my long-term memory bank. (Ask me in another seven months.)

1 Like