Restaurants for First Timers?

We just booked a trip today for August 2019 with my family and my sister-in-law’s family. It’s their first (and probably only) time at WDW. We ended up getting the regular DDP and now I’m trying to figure out restaurants. She has one very picky, 7-year-old eater. We’re staying 7 nights.

I’m thinking Cape May Breakfast (little one wants to meet Donald) and Cinderella’s Royal Table because there’s nothing quite as cool as eating in the castle. My daughter wants to do Sci-Fi, I want to do Boma. We’re staying at the Yacht Club. Where else would you recommend taking first-timers for sit down meals?

1 Like

So you know your dates and where you are staying. Next I would figure out how many parks on which days. Then plan your meals around where you will be. I think there are tons of cool places with good food everywhere so don’t set yourself up for traveling a long way to get to any restaurant.
Since you are at YC, Cape May is a great choice. Check out Beaches and Cream as well. Also everyone raves out Ample hills creamery for ice cream. You will be in prime location of course to walk over to Epcot for meals. Many recommend getting hoppers to take advantage of that.

1 Like

Great suggestions. I was wondering if anyone had any specific restaurants they think someone going on their first and only trip should do. The only one I can really be think.of is CRT.

For me, first and only trip travelers means take care of the iconic and nostalgic factor. Eat a Mickey Mouse ice cream bar. Get ice cream or a hotdog on Main Street USA. Have a dole whip. Eat a Mickey waffle.

I treated my trip with my husband that way because he insisted he would only go once (he had a great time so that is no longer true-ha!). For me I also wrapped in some particular locations. I wanted to eat at the GF because it is my bucket list resort. I also wanted to go to the Chip ‘N Dale campfire at FW because I loved it when I was a kid.

I think CRT is iconic for the castle, but then I have never been so can’t speak firsthand on that one.

I agree with the post above too. Map out where you will be first and that will also help your narrow down and prioritize.

Last thought - might look at trying to get Rose & Crown for illuminations. I think it will still be going in August (closing Fall I believe). If you have hoppers you could try for multiple nights since you are close to EP. I love eating dinner with the fireworks. You can do it with a few restaurants but with picky eaters that one may be best.

For a specific recommendation, Be Our Guest is a great quick service, so fun to go into the Beast’s castle. You can do a PPO there and get a head start on the crowds while avoiding RD. Or go for dinner and it is table service with meeting the Beast himself! BOG for at least one meal would be a must do for me.
Otherwise any of the character meals would be fun. We loved Garden Grill at Epcot. It was great to do PPO and get a head start on Soarin. If the 7 yo is into princesses also consider Akershus or Bon Voyage breakfast (that one is not far from YC at Trattoria al forno in Boardwalk)
Ohana at the Poly is a must do for many, but I haven’t been there yet. Breakfast there is the Lilo and Stich meet and greet. Crystal Palace is the buffet in MK with Pooh and friends. I have never done that one either but it gets pretty good reviews. Of course Chef Mickey at CR is likely the most iconic of all. I think it gets mixed reviews but for some it is tradition to eat there.
Lastly I will mention 50s Prime Time and Sci Fi at HS. Both would be fun with good food. Check them out and see what appeals to you and your group.
Have fun planning!

For a 1st and only trip (in addition to CRT) I recommend Chef Mickey’s and BOG. The Chef Mickey’s meal was the first time my kids met Mickey Mouse and they were so excited. It was magical. I also recommend Ohana (Poly) and Yak and Yeti (AK).

Two I would recommend that are great are Coral Reef in Epcot and Hoop Dee Doo Fort Wilderness.

1 Like

I would pick Garden Grill to meet Mickey at, it’s family style, so you actually get to sit down and rest. The food was decent and good if you’ve got a picky eater. Also the part of the restaurant that spins is a u shape booth, so there’s privacy as well.

Trails End, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Chefs de France.