Resort Recommendations for Toddlers

We stayed in a studio at BLT (my husband and I and two kids). There was a queen sized bed as well as a full (or queen?) sized pull out sofa which was surprisingly comfortable. My kids shared a bed but the room also came with a porta crib. You could always put the crib by the door if you want the baby to be separate - or maybe it would fit in the kitchenette?! Sounds silly but its always an option. BLT also has bigger rooms (1 bedroom, two bedroom, etc.) but those are more money and the extra space wasn’t worth it for our family - at least not this trip!

Also, you asked about the Garden Wing. If you are looking at Bay Lake Tower on the Disney site, make sure you are looking at that resort and not the Contemporary. The two hotels are connected by a walking bridge but are, in my opinion, very different.

If you were interested in staying at BLT (or any of the other DVC resorts), definitely check out dvcrentalstore.com. That is who we booked our stay through and they were beyond amazing. Booking our BLT stay through them saved us almost 50% since we were renting DVC points - not getting the Disney rack rate.

4 Likes

Agree with @Outer1, he is very wise! I find it very quick to drive to the parks from the moderate resorts, and from AOA. Cars tend to be very close to the rooms. The only Disney transportation we tend to do is the monorail or boat to the MK, and of these prefer the boat. Every time we take the monorail is gets stuck it seems (last trip is was 20 feet from the platform at the Poly. Frustrating to sit there for 20 minutes. And we weren’t sitting, we were packed to the gills with all the other sweaty people. Somehow the monorail ride is nothing like I picture it in my head before the trip).
If you are at the other 3 parks first thing in the morning, you will be able to park near the front. Put kids in stroller and away you go, No need for a tram. Our rental car for next week is costing us a fortune compared to our usual price. But I will pay for it without complaint as there is no way we would be happy without it.

2 Likes

Thanks lady :wink:

2 Likes

Anytime!

2 Likes

Hi Rachel!!! We do love AoA but might be returning to WL in oct… Pending some good discounts!!! We didn’t do the pack and play but there would have been enough room for sure… They are not huge rooms but we had space and I parked the stroller (with all its crap) haha in the bathroom/sink area which worked out nicely. We had a nice woods facing room and didn’t have any problems with noise but we did get back to the room at 12:45 after our mnsshp!!! Yikes! Haha!!
We have also thought about getting a room that holds 5 (my mom comes to mnsshp with us :wink: ) but ds5 says he won’t lay in the fold out beds so I scratched that idea but it might work for you if you can get your oldest ds in one! When is your trip…??? … Or did o miss that!?!

1 Like

We have stayed both AoA and WL (villas), kids 2/4 one trip, 3/5 the second trip; no rental car with AoA, rental car for WL trip. AoA amazing for space and theming, and we didn’t mind the buses; WL was amazing for location, theming, pool. With a car it was super easy to get everywhere, but I HATED having to get carseats on airplane, park in parking lots and take trams, take stroller in and out of trunk, etc, etc, EVEN MORE than I hated waiting for buses at AoA. So this summer we’re going to BC (with the Magical Vacations deal, $1800 for 9 nights), NOT renting a car (I think.) I know the buses will suck but we’re planning to focus on the resort and Epcot/HS as much as possible. May take a cab a few times to make MK RD. Also, if we cave to kid pressure, we may have to make it a split stay with a Cars suite at AoA for the Cars and LM pools.

1 Like

We are planning on going Aug or Sept. My DD will be 3 at the time, and DS will still be in a pack n play so they won’t have to share a bed at this point. WL appeals to me a lot, especially after these posts. It just seems a lot more relaxing than AoA, and I like the idea of everything being in one building, especially in the hot / rainy months.

@mossymom - Haha! You read my mind. I was thinking about this. Also, it is nice that at AoA you can always take a bus to POP if the line is shorter…

Is this still going on???

This is the labor day special. The reserve a block of rooms for group pricing. I think it’s like the 2nd -12th or something similar. The details are on their website.

1 Like

I also really dislike renting or bringing along car seats, and I am in the minority but think Disney transportation is much easier than renting a car when you have little kids. I also despise the commute from the TTC to Magic Kingdom even though it is probably not much better than a crowded bus. I think not renting a car is the biggest perk to staying on property.

Here are my experiences: (Sorry it got a little long)

Last May,we stayed at WL with a DS4 and DS13 months. I really liked WL - it was very relaxing atmosphere. I thought the room was a little tight with the pack-n-play. Not overly so - but there is no way to possibly have any separation. I would get a little claustrophobic during the getting ready part of the day.

A side note - it was strange but my littlest guy hated the room. He would be happy as could be in the hallway and start bawling as soon as we entered the door. EVERY single time. He got over it quickly but every time.

I really liked that WL was all one building and I liked that the QS was small. It wasn’t overwhelming. I also liked having a TS in the hotel - we ate there once for dinner and once for breakfast- very convenient.

In February - we took a five night trip and stayed at AoA in the Cars suite. I loved AoA. Much more than I though I would. It was the four of us in our family again and my best friend. (I keep meaning to write a trip report and not getting around to it). My BF took the bedroom, I slept on the pull down bed with my son , my DH slept on the pull-out coach and DS1 in a pack-n-play. (He didn’t seem to hate this room). When I walked in, I thought it was a little smaller than I expected, but during our stay it felt spacious. We parked the stroller and one of our suitcases in the bedroom but other than that stuck to the living area. If it was just our family without my friend it would have been very roomy.

The theming is so cute for little ones. It was a little chilly to swim in the pool but it looked amazing and much more suited to little ones with the zero entry. WL pool was nice too, but my kids were too little to go down the slide and so it was really just a basic pool. DS5 can’t swim yet so stuck to hanging out on the steps. Although since last May, I think WL added a splash pad that wasn’t there for our stay.

I wasn’t crazy about AoA QS. We had dinner and two breakfasts. I found it a little chaotic. My pasta was good for dinner. Breakfast was just OK. Everything was a little cold and they ran out of eggs one morning. I did kind of miss having a TS at the hotel.

Transportation: I thought the buses at AoA were excellent. WL shared with GF during our stay which was a pain. I loved AoA’s one bus stop and it was organized. I really prefer having rope lines for each bus instead of just loitering around the bus stop and rushing when a bus pulls up like at the deluxe resorts. AoA must be pretty centrally located because none of the bus rides seemed overly long. It did seem to be the last bus stop at each of the parks though. The collapsing of strollers is hard whether it is a bus or a tram. It is just going to be annoying.

I did like the boat ride to MK. More relaxing than a bus, but it is just one park. We did have a pretty crowded boat one night back that felt as uncomfortable as a crowded bus.

I guess each place has its good and bad points. If budget is a concern I don’t think a few extra square feet of space is going to make that much difference in your trip. Stay in your budget - you are in Disney World so it will be fun (but keeping up with the kids is exhausting - no matter the resort).

4 Likes

http://www.magicalvacationstravel.com/agency-exclusive-offers/232-labor-day-2015-2

We didn’t select any particular agent by name when we asked for a quote and were randomly assigned Kristen Moore (I think?), who’s been nice. (i.e. she replies to email within a day, and she didn’t complain when we changed our dates once and resort once…)

1 Like

I will check this out for sure! Trouble is we aren’t sure when we can go yet. I’m tempted to plan two trips and cancel one when we figure out when we can go!!

@laurenb - Thank you for all the great info! It really helps. We have never done WL, so it was a nice comparison. The price difference will definitely play into our decision. I agree the one-menu quick-service is chaotic and can get old, although we did a week at ASMu a year and a half ago and it was MUCH worse! :wink:

Check out RideSafer vests, can use for bigger kids or toddlers starting 2.5 or 3 and way way less space than regular car seats. (And approved as legal child restraint.)

We are doing the same thing with a BLT studio this July and are sooo excited to be staying on the monorail. My sons (2&5) are beyond excited for the monorail.