Resort Bound Grandpa

Hi, all!

Our next trip is in 62 days! Woot! It was going to be my parents, my kids and I but my mom has decided to bow out. She has an EXTREMELY low mask tolerance and doesn’t think she’d be able to enjoy the trip at all. I’m sad and tempted to try to beg her to come because she loves Disney and we had to cancel our adults only trip for her 65th last September but I’m not because I know she’s trying to only come if she can comply with the rules which I appreciate.

So, it’ll now be me, my 4 kids and my dad. He has told me “oh don’t buy me any park tickets! I’ll just hang around the resort and hang out with whoever doesn’t want to be at the parks.” Which most days I think he’ll want to do but I’m really reluctant to not buy him tickets at all because of dumb APRs and potentially filled up parks if we wait until day of to make a decision. I still have my AP but we’ll have 10 day hoppers for the kids. Will be there 12 nights total and it just seems like a long time to not go to the parks at all.

I kind of just want to buy him a ticket so he can join us for in park dinners and the days his grandkids really want him along. But he says it’ll just be a waste of money. Thoughts? What would you do?

6 Likes

I’d just spring for it, honestly. He can join you if he wants, he can stay in the room if he prefers.

but he’ll at least have the option

9 Likes

Ditto @OBNurseNH. It will give him options and lower everyone’s stress when there.

“Dad, the ticket is our gift to you to use whenever you want during our trip.”

4 Likes

Exactly the direction I was leaning but needed liner reassurance as my dad says I’d “just be wasting my money”. Dads are always dads aren’t they? :smirk::wink:

6 Likes

“I love you enough to spend my money on you!” Score some more son points!

1 Like

maybe compromise and get a 5 day ticket or something. Then he will have days he can go but you can spend slighlty less. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I had thought of that but it’s only a $95 difference between a 5 day and a 10 day PH ticket. Plus, a 5 day would have to be used within a week. Since we’re there for 12 days it would offer less flexibility.

4 Likes

Here’s what I would do:

Add up all the expenses for your trip.

Divide the cost of DGs ticket by the total.

This percentage should be in the ballpark of sales tax for states that have it. Ask DG: Do you think we would pay more in sales tax than we’d pay for you?

Expense justified.

2 Likes

Perfect!! I like your quick accounting logic!

2 Likes

Secondary question. We’ll be gone Monday-Monday. Two weeks total. We’re doing Universal our first two nights and then 12 at WDW. DH is considering joining us on the weekends. Both weekends. I just realized if I buy him a 4 day ticket that it wouldn’t be valid long enough to cover both weekends. Is there a work around? Or would I need to buy him one 2 day ticket for the first weekend and a second 2 day ticket for the second weekend? I’m assuming there isn’t a way to share tickets across two people right? Like if my dad uses 6 days of his 10 day ticket DH couldn’t use the other 4?

2 Likes

I totally think you’ve gotten your answer. :wink:
Is your dad comfortable with the transportation? Could he meet you in the parks for dinner, etc., if he wanted to?

Also - what about buying DH the 10 day ticket too? What is the difference between 4 and 10 day tickets? He might get there early enough one day to have a partial day??? Just a thought.

5 Likes

My wife’s grandmother, and my mother said the same thing a few years ago. By day 3 we ended up buying them tickets because they were bored. I’d definitely buy the tickets for him.
Sounds like a fun trip!! Enjoy!

2 Likes

No you can’t share tickets, you’d have to buy 2 2-day tickets.

3 Likes

Oh my word. I hadn’t thought of that. It’s actually $10 more to do two 2-day tickets than one 10 day. :woman_facepalming:t2:

7 Likes

Wow.
I’m kinda astonished I had something helpful to add to a conversation. I’m not really an expert. :joy::joy:

6 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

I was going to make the same suggestion last night but I forgot. Glad I could let @qwerty6 have the glory! :joy:

3 Likes

Actually I was going to say you should get exactly how many days you need so that DH’s ticket overlaps with all your days. Might be able to do 7 or 8 or something. Save a couple bucks.

2 Likes

Man. You guys are all so much smarter than me! Thank you. I find having to do this at all is so dumb. Before the date based pricing came into play was there a dated window on using a multi-day ticket?

2 Likes

It used to be a flat 13-day window from first use I think. The new windows are annoying.

2 Likes