Reservation system is so messed up

When we were staying at BW a month or so ago, they shut down the snack bar at the pool telling us that they had to send the cook to another site b/c of short staffing over there. This wasn’t the first occurrence on that trip. I know they are having trouble filling positions.

2 Likes

Sure they will work on it–just like they are improving their IT department. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Well…I understand the cynicism. But I don’t think it is a fair comparison. The fact is, Disney’s success depends on making sure they have appropriate staffing for whatever it is they have open. If they don’t, they must make constant decisions as to what to and not to open. We are not privy to this information…But it is the crux if EVERYTHING Disney does. This isn’t something that can be left to chance in the slightest. They want to ensure they don’t overstaff (because it is a waste of resources), nor understaff. The more accurately they do this, the happier everyone is…including their bottom line.

IT is a different beast because it requires specific and strategic investments that may not reap tangible benefits. Ultimately, they have a fall back with the phone system. But there is no fallback if they allow guests to book Le Cellier, but there is no one there to cook when they arrive! (Or whatever other example.)

5 Likes

Most CM’s are only trained for 1 maybe 2 attractions. My DD works at WTP and MTP she can be cross trained at PP and IASW if she chooses to and they have cross training available. Custodial, merch, food and bev are more likely to be able to move around. So yes it helps but not for everything.

Edit:she is also fireworks trained and not all CM’s are so sometimes she is pulled from rotation if they need someone for FW.

5 Likes

That’s fair. I still like to complain though.

3 Likes

I love WDW. However I just spent a total of 2 hours planning our day at Universal with express pass. This included buying tickets, making 2 alternate touring plans, and calling to set up an AAP for which I waited 1 minute on hold.
And I’m done. The contrast is not lost on me!

Now back to planning WDW where I need to move one reservation because park hours just changed and it now won’t work, but if I move it here we have to switch to this park but there are no reservations for that park, et cetera et cetera…infinitely harder to make any changes now 2 weeks out!

9 Likes

AP’s can modify, regular tickets cannot has been my experience. (need to cancel/rebook)

5 Likes

oh, I didn’t know this, this is terrible!

1 Like

I just recently found this out as well after a discussion on chat. Also if you are AP and staying onsite only your regular APR’s made with AP can be modified not APR’s made in addition with onsite stay. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Yes, I found this out too but had forgotten. It was such a bother to switch things too. It should have to be SO complicated. Honestly, it’s as if WDW really doesn’t’ want return visitors :rage:

3 Likes

Planning for UOR is so much easier especially with EP.

2 Likes

Remind me how to do this. I tried the app and the website this weekend and couldn’t find the modify option.

I do understand Ryan’s point, and being an ex-google employee, I do know a few things about data mining and analysis, but they are then using the reservation system to not just predict, but to also modify behavior. This type of control loop can often have unpredictable results, since it needs to account for humans who can be unpredictable at times.

It is probably true that the average AP holder, on any given day, will spend less in the park, and thus provide less to the bottom line. Also, if the park was full and you need to keep someone out of the park, it is better to stop an AP holder rather than someone who traveled here and is staying in a hotel. But they still need to keep what goodwill they have left with their neighbors, many of which are AP holders.

The current reservation system is causing more problems and bad will, and could turn out to be a net negative in the end.

10 Likes

I start in MDE + Make a Park Reservation.

Click on Annual Passes.

Here is an example where my first Res at Epcot was booked after we booked reservation at the Swan, so it’s using the resort bucket - no modify button.

Whereas my other reservations, I booked before we had a resort res, so just using AP bucket and I can modify.

1 Like

I don’t know about that. Their website is so stupid and confusing I broke down and got a TA for a 3 night trip when DD30 was here for her wedding. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Mine doesn’t look like that. :thinking:

This is my UOR planning–buy tickets, book deluxe hotel, show up and use EP.

7 Likes

I agree.
Just a few nuances to bear in mind:

• Universal Express Pass is a lot more $ for longer offsite stays compared to G+/$ILL. Less of an issue for short stays since you can do a 1-night dummy room in a deluxe to get 2 days of UEx, and for onsite stays since the high cost of WDW hotels means UOR deluxe isn’t so expensive in comparison.
  • Velocicoaster and Hagrid’s don’t take UEx
  • UEx waits can be longer than Lightning Lane waits
  • The larger and more heterogeneous your party, the better UEx flexibility shines
4 Likes

Interesting–I have always found EP lanes to be quick.
And I can only do Velocicoaster once a day so not having EP isn’t awful to me. :joy:

4 Likes

I’m definitely not a local - but have heard many locals vent on this topic. Got me thinking, why do you need a reservation at all if you are only visiting in the afternoon i.e after 2pm. Anyone with a reservation can hop after 2 so why is one needed at that point? Seems a simple change that could allow a lot a flexibility.

4 Likes