Rescheduling advice

My family (DH, DS9, DD7) and I just had a HUGE DL disappointment. On Wednesday, we flew from Boston to CA for our long awaited first DL trip. Within 24 hrs both kids were sick with the flu. We had to fly home the next day without even stepping foot in DL. I still have the unused tickets (5-day, single park) and I want to reschedule for the next few months. I was looking at early May maybe the week of the 4th or 11th. Most websites say that early may has pretty low crowds but TP has CLs around 9 or 10 every day. What should I believe? How are crowds during that time? Is it a good time to visit? Also, I’m feeling extra pressure to make this return trip super amazing for my poor sick kiddos. Any suggestions for how I can add some extras to the trip without breaking the bank. Thanks!!

1 Like

I don’t know about CLs but I feel the pressing need to get you off the hook. You had nothing to do with your littlies getting the flu amiga, your trip will be super duper special already, why pressure yourself unnecessarily? You’ve already done all that you can to make their trip incredible!

6 Likes

Maybe scheduling an extra character meal or an extra souvenir. You might also go to guest services to see if they have any ideas. They MIGHT sprinkle you with some extra pixie dust, but don’t count on it. Even so, they may have some cool ideas. Some free ideas I have to make it extra special is to sit in the front of the monorail or up in steering Area of the River boat (too early to remember the technical name). Make sure to get a first time pin. Take one of the Main Street vehicles down Main Street and wave to everyone “like you are in a parade.” If I think of more, I will let you know.

1 Like

I am not sure why touring plans has crowds so high. APs are not blocked out during that time so maybe that affects it. Sprung breaks are over, but colleges start graduation? More of the locals could help, but it seems like weekdays should be fine.

I agree not to put too much pressure on yourself- it will be magical no matter what. But riding down Main Street with the dapper Dan’s singing in the background is amazing (and free!)

2 Likes

Also, I just looked at the historical data (skipping last year which was strange because of GE) and it looks like those first 2 weeks average 5 and 6 with a couple of 8 or 9 on the weekends.

2 Likes

Crowd levels are just a guide - if it’s not a holiday or spring break, it might just be a statistical fluke. I typically try not to go on forecast 10 days just in case, but you never know how things will turn out. Last year I went on the opening weekend of SWGE, prepared for CL 10s, and it ended up being a week of 1s! The reverse can happen too.

Just have a good plan and be flexible. The nice thing is if you have five days, you can just take it slow and you will get everything done regardless of lines.

1 Like

This was just mentioned in another thread. Would this be the reason for high CL?

1 Like

It can explain the crowds to a degree, but not 9/10 CLs. Most of the Grad Night crowds will be relegated to DCA, however there are various packages that schools can pick from and some of those options will include DL as well. Due to cost though, this will have a marginal effect. We went a few years back a ran into several groups of graduating teens and felt more crowded, but not stiflin.

1 Like

Oh, sorry, I was referring to the middle school field trips? Same situation? (Weeks of May 4 or May 11)

1 Like

No apologies are necessary. I still don’t think the middle schoolers would have that effect and if they did it wouldn’t be for just this year. Looking back at last year the CLs were 4, 5 & 6s for that similar time period.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think we will take the chance and book it. I will definitely look into some of those extras!

1 Like

It’s weird. Our trip is the weekend before and it’s showing DLR crowds of 8/10/9 for Fri/Sat/Sun. But looking back at the weekends on either side of that date for the past three years the averages are 5.2/7.3/6. So nowhere near that. But that’s on the weekend so you can kind of understand it. But what I DEFINITELY don’t get is this year’s May 4th-May 7th (Mon-Thur) which is 9/8/9/10… what??

We’re still not within 60 days so I guess it’s possible they correct it? Or maybe they know more than we do!

1 Like