Renting a scooter - not in WDW

Hi! We are planning to rent a scooter for my father. He is able to walk but we believe with a scooter he will be more comfortable during WDW and Universal´s visit, as he has unfortunately some health problems. We have researched and we are planning to rent it not in the parks but in other rental companies (because the $$).

We are evaluating if renting the stroller outside is viable or not during the visit. After parking the car, how can we go to the WDW and Universals parks with the scooter? During our visit, is it safe and allowed to park the scooter outside all attractions? Any advice about? Can you please recommend us any company? We won´t be at WDW´s resorts.

Thanks a lot for your attention!

I’ve never been to universal, so my answer is WDW-centric. You can safely park the scooter anywhere that they have stroller parking. Many of the rides allow you to take the scooter all the way up to an area near boarding of the ride. You can check the list of which rides require what: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

Many restaurants have places you can plug the ECV in.

Just be aware that ECVs and crowds don’t mix. People, in general, are oblivious. He’ll have to stop a lot, and suddenly, because people will step right in front of him. Make sure he’s aware of that ahead of time.

1 Like

www.scootorlando.com This is the company that we used in June and had no problems with them or our scooters. They have ECVs that are $25 a day and come apart to fit in your trunk. If you use this code FB10-18 and rent for more then 3 day you can save an extra 10%.

1 Like

My sis is pregnant with twins so scooter rental is a possibility for us. Can I ask about monorails and ferries? Can you take the scooter on easily? We will be driving most the time since we are off property but because of TTC will be on the Disney transport when visiting MK.

1 Like

Monorail and the big boats to and from MK for sure are easy. I’ve never been on any other flboats around WDW, though, so I don’t know about any of the others.

1 Like

Thanks for your help and the information! I didn´t imagine about the “ECVs and crowds” issue!

1 Like

Me either, until we used them on our trip last year. It was nerve-wracking to say the least. Especially MK down Main Street.

1 Like

Okay one final neurotic planner question. Does a scooter keep pace with a very relaxed walking plan? I’m not really familiar with how speedy and ECV can be in a theme park :joy:

1 Like

Oh gosh, they are much quicker than walking; not like one at a grocery store. That is what makes it nerve-wracking in crowds. You have to train yourself to slow down so that you can avoid hitting people. Of course, that makes the people behind you go around you and then step in front of you… Given a straight path with no people, they can really fly. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course, the ECVs have a setting for how fast they go, too. The one I was driving last trip would go very fast even on the slowest setting when the battery was fully charged. I didn’t realize till later that they weren’t supposed to do that.

1 Like

Oh man! Well if my sister does end up getting on, WDW better look out for the pregnant speed demon!

2 Likes

ECV are not allowed on the smaller boats but the ferry to MK and the big boat to FW they are allowed on.

2 Likes