Remedies for motion sickness

Maybe try it before a cab ride or even when you’re doing nothing in particular, just to see how it affects you. Everyone’s physiology is different so it might be ok for you.

1 Like

I had no idea there were three types. After looking at the packages I use the “Less Drowsy” one. The full on regular one kicks my butt. I’m totally worthless. Less drowsy is fine for me. I don’t feel foggy or anything.

Hmm. Okay, then. That’s good to know. Now the question is, am I more like @Jeff_AZ or more like @dianelynn.

That’s a good idea. I’ll have to find a day where it won’t matter if it makes me sleepy, but hoping it won’t.

1 Like

I had good luck with Bonine. I just took it in the morning before we left our room. I was fine on Star Tours (I had gotten sick on that before), R&R Coaster, and Soarin. The worst were Dinosaur and Everest. Green apples also help with nausea if you can pack some in your backpack.

Have fun!

1 Like

It appears that Bonine and Dramamine Less Drowsy are the same active ingredient…just different brands.

2 Likes

Any OTC medication that works very well is going to have sedation as a side effect, and since everyone is different, the only way to tell is to take it and see.

And all of them will be more sedating if you’re also imbibing a bit. Not dangerously so, but you will notice. A Snow Leopard and Dramamine could find you snoring like a lion in the Nomad lounge.

Definitely do not drink (even a little) and drive with this combo, either, lest you fall asleep at a stoplight!

2 Likes

My sister in law has horrible motion sickness. Short road trips were really hard for her until she discovered Bonine. She swears by it. She had tried all the versions of dramamine. My BF started taking it for airplane rides which she always gets sick on, and she swears by it now too. Neither one of them gets drowsy with it.

My daughter and I went to WDW this April. Since I was alone with her and it was her BIG trip RDing and closing all the parks, I had to be on my toes. I get carsick driving on curvy, hilly country roads and DD wanted to ride all the coasters! I found the Dramamine ginger version and popped 2 in the am and 2 in the pm. I was only a little queasy after EE (that backwards spiraling got me) but nothing that a little drink and snack couldn’t fix. Otherwise I felt pretty good. (We didn’t get to Space Mtn or SDD. Next time!)
Btw, I was surprised on the teacups. I took a video during the entire ride of my DD laughing hysterically as she spun us around as fast as she could. I thought I was doomed but since I watched her on my screen, I didn’t get sick!

Yes, both Bonine and “non-drowsy” Dramamine have the active ingredient meclizine. I like taking it starting the night before encountering something I expect will make me nauseated. Taking it the night before means that for a 24 hour dosage I experience less of the foggy/sleepy side effect since for me that tends to be more prevalent during the first 8-12 hours of the dosage. I buy the generic and just make sure I am getting the same meclizine dosage.

I have used this method on both cruise ships and at Disney World and have never had issues (with either the motion sickness or the drowsiness). I also take meclizine when flying without issue.

For reference I experience motion-sickness a lot. I get airsick, seasick, carsick and have even gotten sick from movies with a lot of shaky camera work. (Thanks for Saving Private Ryan, Steven Spielberg! I couldn’t watch the movie after the opening D-Day sequence.)

Thank you for the info!

Thank you so much for this info!

I realize this thread is mostly dead, but I just got back from DL where I used the Scopoloamine patch for the first time, and it was a complete game changer. I get car-sick, plane-sick, kind of anything-sick, and I have been using Bonine for the last couple of years. The Bonine takes the edge off the nausea in the rides, but some of the nausea typically gets through to me even on the Bonine. With the patch I felt NO nausea at all. Not even on Star Tours. It was amazing!!! Left me wondering if this is how the rides feel for most people!!! Absolutely 11/10 for me. It’s a prescription, and they ended up being about $10 for a patch, but a patch lasts for 3 days…so although they are more expensive than any of the OTC meds or the SeaBands, I will do the patches again in a heartbeat. Even if I had to pay $10 per day…it would be worth it to me.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info - I should probably look into this for my daughter, who has inherited my moderate motion sickness and taken it up a notch.

1 Like