Reality Check

This will be a depressing post, so if you want optimism, don’t read any further.

I live in FL and see the local Covid-19 news on a daily basis. Only today did our governor declare a state-wide stay at home order. Predictions are that the “peak” in FL will likely not occur until the end of April. “Peak” means that it is the point where the number of new cases starts to decrease. This does not mean it will all suddenly be over; there will still be new cases occurring for months after that.

You can be as optimistic as you please, but I would consider anything before the Holidays to be questionable, and anything before Labor day to be wishful thinking.

I hope I’m wrong (in a good way), but parks packed with 10s of thousands of people are the last things you want when trying to control the spread of disease.

8 Likes

I didn’t realize there wasn’t already a stay at home order before today. With Florida having nearly 6500 cases, that certainly does not bode well for DW opening anytime soon.

1 Like

:persevere:that’s all I have to say. I am so full of aniexty.

2 Likes

Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.

I’m rebooked for end of August/start of sept. If that fails to go I’ll just move it again.

I’m going back. Might not be when I planned. Maybe won’t even be when I read-planned.

But I’m going back.

20 Likes

I also heard today that the Governor was blaming the Super Bowl? I am confused by this since there was a delay in any stay at home orders.

1 Like

I thought our Early December trip would be safe from this mess (assuming DH and I both still have jobs), but now I’m beginning to question that. :tired_face: Even if things are back up and rolling this summer, I’m not particularly confident that there won’t be fresh closures by December.

2 Likes

And McConnell is blaming the impeachment as the reason that the administration wasn’t ready for the pandemic. All just a bunch of politicians looking for someone or something to blame to absolve themselves of the blame for a totally insufficient early response.

20 Likes

That’s not a depressing post, it is a realistic. I’m in KY and we don’t even have shelter in place order. We have a “healthy at home” order. Meaning it doesn’t sound as bad and is a positive spin on trying to get people to do the right thing and just stay the heck home. Our peak isn’t suppose to hit until mid May according to the models.

I agree, I think anything this year is optimistic. There is just no way to control people coming from all over spreading this thing even further. We have a trip planned for October and I’m not hopeful they will be open then. Even if they are open a vaccine likely won’t be available and therefore it would be a risk. Not a risk I would take. We will be back eventually, but it will probably be longer than we would like.

4 Likes

I would not be at all surprised if you are correct. My wishful thinking is that we can start to resume our lives this summer but I can’t imagine huge crowds being able to assemble for quite some time. We have a trip scheduled in November (before all of this madness began) and I was hopeful that things would be operational by then but you never know whether there will be another COVID wave. We also have a backup for spring 2021 and then there is always summer 2021. The uncertainty is hard for many reasons but with respect to Disney, it is hard to wonder and not plan especially when we have more free time than usual.

1 Like

Experiencing the increases here in New York, I sadly have to agree with your estimates. I think this is going to last longer than many people realize and those areas that wait to shut things down are going to experience a much higher rate after it starts.

5 Likes

I agree with you and your estimates. I’m hopeful they are successful in early attempts with a vaccine.

1 Like

Sad but true. Being from Southeast PA and being one of the first ‘stay at home’ ordered, I just don’t understand why the whole country do it at once.

3 Likes

Don’t crowd up my vacation :slight_smile: Planned, before all of this, is my 25th anniversary trip at end of august.

3 Likes

We are scheduled to arrive Friday 8/28 and to be there until Sunday 9/6

1 Like

I guess that’s ok :stuck_out_tongue: . I leave the bubble on the 29th.

3 Likes

We’ll be quiet-ish and keep to ourselves. We will arrive by late morning to BLT and plan to head to MK by noon. Will that be okay?

4 Likes

We will be at the MK on 8/28. BOG for lunch when you arrive. Staying for the party?

1 Like

Nope. We will be up crazy early for a 6am flight out. So we will get the fun that we can in, have dinner at LTT, and then call it an early evening. We’ve never arrived quite this early before and usually take the first day slow and easy at our resort. But how can you be at BLT and not wander over if your tickets allow for that (which ours do).

But it’s a firm early to bed night, no exceptions

Unless I sneak up to TOWL

Which I won’t because firm early to bed.

I don’t think, anyway.

3 Likes

Sure. Would have already hit MK earlier in the week. Thanks for checking, lol

2 Likes

I can sympathize with the early flight. Our direct SW is usually 6 or 7am (7am this year). Our return flight on 9/6 is at noon.

We have a few options for Trails End and that day is one of them.

How could you not go to watch the MNSSHP show at TOWL?

1 Like