Ranking the WDW Coasters

I did not find RRR to be jarring at all. I’d call it smooth, actually. But others have reported differently, and I think we’ve attributed the difference in experience mostly to height of the rider. I’m 5’10" for reference.

1 Like

Um. No. No one.

Well, okay, there is the Laughing Place bit. But that’s like, what, 2 seconds? Other than that, it is in no way a roller coaster! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a headache by the time I got off!

I have heard it’s actually quite tame, bordering on boring. It only has lapbars, so there’s nothing to bang your head on. Though the same is true of Space so I’ve never had any trouble on it.

It doesn’t roll for a start.

Weirdly, I might be willing to put up with that. If the ride overall is worthwhile. There’s a ride at the Pleasure Beach in Blackpool (Infusion) which is designed to give you brain damage or, at least, very sore ears. I’m not sure that one’s worth it.

Overall, I agree with the general consensus of rankings people are giving if we’re merely talking about the potential to scare.

But if we are ranking coasters in terms of enjoyment over all, the best coaster, hands-down (no pun intended), IMO, is Expedition Everest. While RnRC is a great ride, I just can’t consider it a world-class coaster. It isn’t that EE is INTENSE (although some say it is), it is that as a roller coaster enthusiast, I have a blast on that coaster every single time, and yet, unlike a great deal many “much better” coasters in the world that I love, I can enjoy EE with my six-year-old sitting next to me. That, to me, is an amazing feat. RnRC has the launch and dark elements that are fun and all, but they aren’t unique in the coaster world, nor something I can do with my young kids.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’d go that far. Anything with a 60 mph launch and a couple inversions is going to headline at most parks. The Premier Mad Cobras (FoF, JJ, Poltergeist) are very similar in spirit and are probably 6-7 on the intensity scale.

[quote=“mousematt, post:6, topic:58242, full:true”] I’m British fat.
[/quote]
Blame it on the metric conversion. :wink:

1 Like

I have two problems with EE.

First, I have a terrible character flaw (careful, everyone) in that I’m easily influenced by others. Before I’d ever ridden it I read a thread (on another forum) filled with complaints about the Yeti not working. I doubt I would even have realised it myself had I not known. But that soured the entire ride for me. It feels like I’m being ripped off.

Second, the bit at the end when it goes in circles really fast tends to push me just up to the limit of my motion-tolerance. (Does this confirm that MS Orange is not for me?)

In terms of my own favourite, it might actually be SDD — especially at night. It’s beautiful to look at. You get great views from it. It’s silky smooth. The queue has great theming. It’s fast, it’s high, it’s fun.

BTMRR at WDW keeps disappointing me because I keep comparing it with the one at DLP, which is so much better. As are, as I said, Space Mountain and RNR. Though I last went to DLP ten years ago and perhaps my memory is faulty, or I was just younger and more tolerant of being bashed about.

I do actually like 7DMT quite a lot. Again, great views. Has a few whizzy sections. It’s fun!

1 Like

I loved RnRC before I had kids, but I love it WAY more now for the same reason. My kids adored that ride and were disappointed that I wasn’t willing to punt things like Indy or Muppets (or lunch) for more laps. While not the most unique ride in the world, it is head and shoulder above its counterparts for smoothness, theme (I love Aerosmith), and the cool scenery.

Once my kids were older, they could ride it. But it has a height limit that restricts kids until they are older, unlike EE. That was my point about that.

I actually used to like RnRC better until they redid the theming. Now it feels too generic. I LOVED the upside road signs, etc., for example. But now, the scenery during the ride is forgettable.

To me, the Aerosmith theme is a “whatever”. Not only is Aerosmith not really significant to me…once the ride lauches, I really can’t hear (at least, not well enough to matter) the music anyhow. It just sounds like a lot of additional noise. RRR, by comparison, the music track is very clear and distinctive…probably because it is outside instead of inside a building where the sounds of the coaster reverberate.

I know love of coasters is highly subjective. I fault no one for liking RnRC more than EE. But for me, I could ride EE all day long. I’d probably ride RnRC twice at most in a day and be done.

1 Like

What was different? I first rode it in 2014 so i didn’t know it had changed.

I don’t recall exactly when they changed it. But it used to be that you were effectively driving along a freeway and there were road signs along the way. One of the road signs, for example, you passed under while upside down in the corkscrew, which was really cool.

I think they still have road signs, but the overall feel now is, as I said, more forgettable. So forgettable that I honestly can’t really remember how it is now, but I remember the original quite clearly, even though it was years ago!

I just know that now it just feels (to me) more like little more than a roller coaster indoors with some pre-ride theming.

It’s still road signs like driving down the freeway, all through the ride. Maybe they removed some?

I haven’t been to DLP, but SM at DL is MUCH smoother, and in my opinion a much better ride in all regards.

1 Like

Perhaps. I know for sure the last time I was there the upside down one was gone.

They probably replaced it with a strobe light to give some motion effects instead :grin:

“Disco Driving”? :slight_smile:

RRR is very rough for me - my head bounces around off the restraints. The UG describes it as one of the roughest coasters in Florida. The ascent is quite scary, it seems to take forever. After that, it’s just another coaster. Nothing special, and the music actually really puts me off. I think I’d prefer it without.

1 Like

It is better if you pick one of the “off screen” songs instead. I love it by choosing Rainbow Connection. But you have to invoke the secret menu to get to it.