Rafiki's Planet Watch - will it open again?

Rafiki’s Planet Watch, IMO, might be one of the lamest things in WDW.
Because nothing says DISNEY like petting a goat.

(The whole “the sky is falling down/save the environment” message makes my eyes hurt. [From rolling them.])

ETA I was really hoping they would keep this closed and reopen it as something amazingly cool…

1 Like

Watching the vets at work is pretty cool. But that can’t be planned for so it’s pure luck.

2 Likes

That is cool. But not really theme-parky to me…
We did watch some fascinating surgery at Busch Gardens once. But that park doesn’t have as much push to go-go-go-go

We’re first timers so I’ve no idea what we’d all think of it! But one of my boys is animal obsessed and was hoping to see the vet stuff and we all love a train ride and that’s out of action in MK during our stay.

As much as anything we need to pad our AK day out as I couldn’t get a FOP FP 'til 7pm. Hoping to move it forward but I think there’ll be some luck involved with that :grinning: Had heard it was a good way to get out of the crowds so thought it would serve a few purposes…

1 Like

If your kids are young, it is a great time eater. It is exceedingly low-key. When my oldest children were young we always made an effort to get out there.

It just seems so lame as far as a “theme park attraction.”

3 Likes

Gotta STRONGLY disagree with ya here. In fact, I would argue Disney needs to just take it one step further and inform also on solutions and ways to participate in those solutions. They failed to “carry the ball over the goal line” in a way in my eyes.

They have a platform here that can greatly impact a young mind on conservation and rescue of our planet and using Animal Kingdom for that end is excellent in my mind. Just like Epcot inspires science and space travel. It might not be 100% theme-parky, but I’d rather have that then the “Chesters” dino area.

8 Likes

I appreciate your POV.
I’m just there to have fun, though.
I don’t want to do things at the park that I could do at home (pet a goat, talk recycling) when I just paid $500/day to get in. But it can be a nice place to rest if that helps a family out.

1 Like

The same for use when our oldest were young. We didn’t expect to like AK at all. (pre Pandora). Then we liked it so much we used our extra day going back. The “not so theme park” and “not go go go” made it a great break for us. I so hope it is open by late July this year, so our 2 year old can enjoy it and the train. He loves trains and now MK train is not running.

1 Like

My boys will be 14,11 and 10. We won’t be heartbroken to miss it but I did think it sounded like it could be a pleasant diversion :smiley:

2 Likes

I just wish it were more whimsical or something. Like Tom Sawyer Island.

1 Like

We loved Planet Watch. It’s relaxing and a nice train ride and a great way to get out of the rain if the weather’s bad. I really wish it were opening sooner than summer, as I’m 99% sure we’ll miss it. I think it’s great and there’s a lot to learn there, especially for kids.

3 Likes

Looks like August 2019

2 Likes

And now it looks like July 11th.