Quick Question About Disney +

Are there any plans for Disney to release The Mandalorian or Hamilton on DVD/BluRay? I’m kind of keen on owning my favorites in a physical format, and there have been some pretty great new releases. These are the two I’m having trouble finding.

I’ve seen them offered here and there… but only by sellers who seem sketchy, at best. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

TIA!

For Mandalorian in particular I can confirm that they have made no announcement. I think they want to keep Disney+ “exclusive” for a while at least. I’m sure someday there will be a physical medium release of some sort for some of the original content. We’ll just have to wait and see.

(or buy the bootleg copy you saw :smirk:)

1 Like

Oh well. I guess I’ll have to content myself with reruns of Mary Poppins Returns when the internet goes out. Which is often.

2 Likes

Disney+ content can be downloaded to PC easily and then not as easily ripped to disc with just the right drive and firmware. But it sure would be more convenient to be able to just buy a blu ray of something if you want to.

3 Likes

You should “download” items you like to watch. Then you can watch when you have no connection. This works on any smart device and you can “cast” to your TV.

2 Likes

I would download them but I don’t have the subscription anymore. Living where streaming is iffy (and being cheap! :slightly_smiling_face:) has made me pretty good at sniffing out content. I can almost always find what I want but Disney has me stumped.

I didn’t keep my Disney+ subscription because I tend to watch everything I like right away and then sit around with a subscription service I don’t use. That’s why we don’t have cable, either (that and the cost of cable is confiscatory since there’s so little competition). What I I like, I buy, so lots of Disney+ is redundant.

Plus, there is the problem of content disappearing. I wasn’t happy with what happened to iTunes and now I’m reluctant to pay for something that’s only digital. I do have quite a few Disney movies downloaded to take on plane flights (DD used to have to have Aristocats!) so I really should get around to ripping all of those, now that you mention it.

I could resubscribe and then download what I want, I guess. That seems to be the only solution. I mean, when has Disney never NOT wanted my money? It’s so weird!!:rofl:

2 Likes

Ah this is exactly why Disney doesn’t sell the Mandalorian on Blu-Ray! You are exactly the viewer they had in mind.

3 Likes

Right, but it didn’t work! It wasn’t enough to keep me. That’s why they should let me buy it. :wink:

1 Like

For instance, I do own a couple of other channels’ TV series.My other favorite sci-fi series is The Expanse, which I had to buy when it was on SyFy. I will pay for it, if they give me the option. I don’t really want to pirate anything.

1 Like

If you like repeats, it might be worthwhile for you to have a Home Theater PC. Or at least a Home Theater server to store the content. Then just download everything you might want to watch again to that.

I built my HTPC using the advice from this guy: https://mediaexperience.com/ It looks like he’s moved on to Smart Homes. His media server advice is still good. You’ll just get later models.
Complete Guide to Setup a Network Attached Storage

Our cable internet is pretty bad. But a couple of blocks south of us their only option is satellite. so I count my blessings. I got a subscription to PlayOn. With that we have it automatically record the shows that we like during the wee hours of the morning. (Including Disney+) That way no one else is using the internet and if there is buffering delays we don’t see them. It also strips out the commercials. Side benefit, if the streaming service removes the show we never notice because we have it recorded. Like Death In Paradise on Amazon Prime. I was telling a friend how much we enjoyed it, and when she looked for it, it wasn’t on Prime anymore. That would have been annoying, the show to just disappear while we are watching it. We never keep anything though. We watch and delete.

1 Like

Yup. That’s us. My DS got a pass on a late online assignment because he told his prof the internet goes out when the wind blows. I can’t say he’s wrong about that!

Thank you for the tip. That may be something for us to look in to. The buffering is annoying, and what I also find is the forward & reverse controls stop working as well as the time being off until I reboot the whole system. Also, my cabinet space is limited due to book overload. DVDs are not allowed in the library.

Now that is one medium I will never go fully digital with!

2 Likes

I did the same! Luckily my internet had improved significantly since then, but I still record programs for later viewing.

2 Likes

I also have a NAS for storing movies and TV shows. It has a capacity of 8TB and takes the space of around 8 DVD boxes. For reference, I think the entire library of congress book storage takes 15TB. I would also not want to read digital copies of books over paper, but I wouldn’t be opposed to storing some old books that have no copyright any more and I don’t own physical copies of. It’s good protection against books being deemed inappropriate by future generations.

2 Likes

I need to look into that- there’s quite a lot I’d like to read but haven’t gotten around to. I guess it’s better than not having the book at all. My sis’s FIL passed away and her MIL moved- what I rescued from his library was pretty awesome. It’ll be awhile before I even get through all that! Hardback classics in cloth-covered cases, just great stuff.

2 Likes

Hamilton might be on DVD next year.

Source:

2 Likes

Thank you!
I will not be throwing away that shot.

(It’s my thread and I’ll make bad puns if I want to :laughing:).

7 Likes