Question about DAS

I have had 2 years of foot corrective surgeries and covid. My family, Dr and I do not want to use a scooter again. But walking is super painful, standing after 2 hours is very hard. I am frequently short of breath due to covid. I have 4 hour breaks planned so I can rest, and I’m not about doing every ride. But I would like to do as much as possible with my family. Can I ask for DAS or are they just going to tell me to get a scooter and then I have to listen to every one giving me a hard time. Thank you

They’re probably just going to tell you to get a scooter. Sorry.

3 Likes

What @missoverexcited said. DAS is specifically for non mobility (standing, walking) disabilities. They’re going to tell you to rent a scooter or wheelchair.

3 Likes

Thank you, I’d rather hear it hear first! Scooter company will be on call then

2 Likes

I totally understand where you are coming from, my son uses a medical stroller/wheelchair hybrid in addition to the DAS, and we’ve received some snide comments. Both from guests who think we’re faking it to a bus driver that actually said “he didn’t look disabled” and wanted us to take him out of the chair instead of using the wheelchair hookups. (The chair is certified for use on transportation and has the tiedowns and a big placard on it with the rating.)

2 Likes

Anyone who says that should immediately be punched in the face.

8 Likes

And then fired

6 Likes

It was our last trip in March 2021 and we had a lot of trouble with transportation on that trip. Another driver told a guest to leave a folded up unsecured stroller by the door across from where DS was hooked in. If there had been a crash or even a situation where the driver had to brake suddenly, it would’ve gone flying right into DS. I don’t like to make complaints at Disney, but I complained BOTH times and took photos of the buses and the unsecured stroller and sent them to Guest Services. That was just unacceptable.

5 Likes

:open_mouth:
I would have reported him immediately and I hope you did.

7 Likes

And promptly fired

6 Likes

With cell phones handy, I could see myself opening up the phone camera and pointing it at the driver and saying, “Please repeat what you just said about my son ‘not looking disabled’” either he back-tracks and does what should be done, or you have evidence. Anyone stupid enough to repeat that knowingly on camera deserves to be fired immediately with cause.

2 Likes

nuh uh… that leads to me flying off the handle. “And you didn’t look like a moron, but here we are…”

7 Likes

Did anything come of it? I’m guessing not in Today’s Disney Climate™

2 Likes

I would lose it. I have a son with a huge heart condition, he looks normal, but he is at the greatest risk. His track coaches would freak out every year, and I told them he could die tomorrow walking across the room. Your son should always be safe and comfortable weither or not he looks like he is disabled(differently capable). Some people think they are being kind when they say that. I don’t get it. Hugs to you in overcoming challenging behavior.

2 Likes

I got 2 pairs of more comfortable walking shoes (that I can swell up in) to help too.

1 Like

Love that

1 Like

The reason I sold all my Disney stock

I am so sorry that happened to you both

Nope! I got a very “heartfelt” :roll_eyes: apology from GS but that’s it.

2 Likes

yeah that tracks with the D’Amaro Disney Experience: All nice talk, but no action.
(there, let that haunt your dreams :rofl: )

3 Likes