Q4 Earnings Call

My takeaways reading through the transcript of yesterday’s earnings call:

1/3 of guests are using Genie+. Chapek and team think the response has been positive and they look forward to the launch at Disneyland.

Responding to a question about inflation, part of what Christine McCarthy (CFO) had to say:

We can adjust suppliers, we can substitute products, we can cut portion size which is probably good for some people’s waistlines. We can look at pricing where necessary, but we aren’t going to go just straight up across an increased prices. We’re really going to try to get the algorithm right to cut where we can and not necessarily do things the same way.

Reminded me of a pic I took in Liberty Square where they sell turkey legs. I was floored they charge $7.99 for a single hotdog. I don’t eat much CS and had no idea the prices were so outrageous.

Days later I ended up paying $10.99 for this in Tomorrowland. No drink. From the way McCarthy was talking - take away the chips and charge $10.99 for the hotdog. It will be better for my waistline. :eyes:

6 Likes

Charging you more will help because if you pay enough at Disney when you get home you can’t afford to eat. Voila: waistline shrunk.

8 Likes

I don’t buy hot dogs at WDW. I also don’t buy soft pretzels or funnel cakes because they are so much better where I live. (I don’t understand why people rave about these things in WDW because they honestly don’t look good at all to my family). I tend to stick with things that are more atypical for amusement parks, other than chicken fingers.

The comment about the waistline was completely inappropriate. What were they thinking.

9 Likes

The funnel cake at Epcot is the best I’ve had and we stop every time we are there.

2 Likes

It was definitely a lack of judgment on my part. In real life I can make it to mid afternoon without eating. Had an ADR at 2:00 and figured I would be fine. Didn’t account for needing extra calories due to increased activity. I am use to a dining plan and TS restaurants, so I didn’t even know where to get CS food in Tomorrowland. That’s how they got me. :laughing: Looking through my meals for an upcoming trip I spotted several gaps whereas I have no meals planned until late afternoon. Currently working on snacks I can bring with because I”ll be darned if I pay that much again for less than mediocre food.

7 Likes

I think she thought she was being funny.

She wasn’t.

8 Likes

I live in the area where funnel cakes were basically invented. Disney is never going to match what I can get here. I stop by a local funnel cake stand, it’s made in front of me right after I order it and served to me immediately. Little crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Now I’m hungry for a funnel cake.

4 Likes

Where do you live?? :exploding_head:

I have only ever eaten funnel cake in WDW and it’s by favourite food in the big wide world!!! :yum::yum::yum:

1 Like

South central PA. PA Dutch country.

2 Likes

Now I’m even curiouser!!!

“We’re going to try to get the algorithm right to cut where we can and not necessarily do things the same way,” McCarthy said.”

Lesson #1- you are speaking publicly.

9 Likes

Now on my bucket list :+1:t2::+1:t2::grin::grin::yum::yum:

2 Likes

You may also want to try a local pretzel place as well. We are close enough to Philly that you can get soft pretzels made fresh.

4 Likes

Sounds awesome!!

1 Like

I miss the fresh pretzels! You’re also the home of my favorite chocolate company (and no, it’s not the one with a town and amusement park sharing the name)

2 Likes

There are a bunch of small chocolate companies. So difficult to guess on that one.

I won’t leave you hanging-- Wilbur out of Lititiz

(and now back to the original topic of Q4 earnings call… :grinning:)

3 Likes

So, they announced themselves as the shining example for Skrimp-flation. Other people using Disney as the example is one thing, but for them to brag about it…

This confirms that my weirdly low Disney dining budget is a good thing.

I need to investigate more snack-from-home ideas. One idea I have is from reading the Animal Trek menu. The most interesting sounding thing they gave you was brie with apricot jam. We could bring our own. We have a bunch of frozen gel packs from DD’s medicine that we could use to keep the Brie chilled. Although, Brie is better warmed.

6 Likes

You mean there is places that serve pre-made funnel cake? That should be a shooting offense.

When in Arizona, we had a traditional food of the Navajo that was basically funnel cake.

4 Likes

We are using Landry’s gift cards and Disney Visa rewards for a good chunk of our budget. Of course, we are taking a long Disney break after our trip in a few weeks.

Flaunting like that is what annoys me.

4 Likes