Pros/cons of using a travel agent

Another follow up, if you don’t mind? How far in advance do TAs find out about when the discounts are going to drop? I know many of them have “real” jobs too, so do they get enough notice to be able to rearrange their schedules?

I am just such a control freak, and these are the main issues that are keeping me from using a TA. That and the fact that I am insane and hoard resort reservations the same way I do ADRs!

3 Likes

We generally don’t find out before the public. Occasionally we will catch wind of a rumor (usually not different than what is shared here or on Lines Chat), but if that happens we aren’t allowed to discuss. We do cover for one another if/when a conflict (ie agent is away or agent is working other job) but again that isn’t usually an issue. Those who do higher volume don’t usually have other jobs, and those with low volume can manage “real” jobs with this job. If it came to it I would take a sick day from my “real” job. But one of the reasons I didn’t step into this TA role sooner was that until I did my job did not allow for me to flex that way. Now I can and I absolutely would.

2 Likes

Also, while I do most of my TA work early morning, evening, and weekend I always tell my guests that I am available 24/7 throughout their travel and can be reached by text or cell. And I stand by that commitment. Again, my current role is flexible enough that I can step away from it to help a guest who needs assistance when in the bubble.

4 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My cousin is a Disney TA. She was very helpful for our first trip 11 years ago when neither my husband nor I had been to Disney since we were kids. For our first few trips, she handled FP and dining reservations. She also helped us pick the right resort when I decided I was tired of staying in a value resort because of the lack of food options. There are so many hotels to stay in at Disney and the choices can be very overwhelming when you are starting your Disney obsession. :slight_smile:

Most recently, she was a lifesaver for my fall 2020 girl’s trip when I was in an airplane on my way to an international business trip on my FP+ day - she got almost everything we wanted. My two girlfriends had not been to Disney and so it was nice to be able to turn it over to an expert!

I don’t use a TA for any other vacations or trips, including my work trips.

1 Like

I thought of another pro - my TA booked my bounceback for me. I texted her a picture of the offer from my hotel room, gave her the dates, and the trip was magically booked for me while I was at the park!

2 Likes

Thank you for all of this feedback. It was so great to wake up and read such insightful thoughts with my first cup of coffee.
Does Disney give more support to larger travel agencies or those that are focused primarily on Disney?

1 Like

we use the TA for the tickets and hotels only. I plan ADRs and FP+ myself. Love Amanda at Small World Vacations

1 Like

Do TAs get a commission on things like EMM, DAH, or the parties? Or dining events (SoA, HDDR, CRT Signature thing)? Or dessert parties? Or prepaid meals like CRT?

1 Like

For some of those things, yes, and at varying rates. For some, no - but most are happy to arrange or help you arrange just the same

2 Likes

Back before cell phones :grin: I started using a TA whose focus was primarily Disney. We never had a stay that she didn’t find us a discount except for our second stay at Fort Wilderness. I knew we’d not get a discount there and said so up front. She still apologized. Even tho we got our unusual site request and another perk I’m not remembering now.

Our most recent trip thru her was 2018 when she got us great room only rates.

I do our dining or fast passes which is fine with me. That’s what I like doing.

I don’t always use a travel agent but when I do I use Your Magical Journeys.

2 Likes

I prefer to do my own planning and was hesitant to use a TA.

I first started using a TA in 2016 based on a TP blog post so I did not have to follow and apply discounts and/or to book bounce back offers. That worked out partially well.

The only con I have experienced is not all TA’s are created equal. The TA I picked from that list did not want to book my bounce back. The TA insisted I book it and transfer it to her. I have since moved on to another TA who provides this service. I should have asked first if she was willing to book bounce back offers.
ETA I would not hesitate to use one of the TP members as a TA should I need to change again

1 Like

@PrincipalTinker when I click on the link for Liner TAs, is that the most up to date? When I look at the list, I don’t see @OBNurseNH, for example, so I wonder who else I am missing.

Do you see the Google link? She is #82

2 Likes

How did I miss that you’re a travel agent? When did that happen?

2 Likes

Ah Ha. On my tablet, I was only seeing part of the list. I switched to my desktop and can see the rest of the list. Thank you.

1 Like

Entered year 3 in Feb. :wink:

1 Like

Well don’t I feel foolish.

:joy:

You shouldn’t

1 Like

Yours is the only name I recognize on there!

1 Like