Note N18

On arrival day, Epcot has EMH until 11.30pm, so I plan on heading there and staying up late, partly in the hope that it’ll help shift me to US time.

And it’s just not worth it to me for one ride. I’m happy to get in line for SDD on my DHS day and — unless the sun is as brutal as it was in June, or it’s raining — I’ll be happy to drink in the atmosphere while I’m waiting.

2 Likes

Incidentally, my reservation is now on the system and I’ve been able to make my FPPs.

I did reasonably well. I hit all of my targets except one — I couldn’t find BTMRR at any time on any of my MK days. But I have MVMCP so that — and 7DMT (which I didn’t even try to find) — will be my two main targets for rides that evening.

I managed to get Na’vi at a perfect time. And I’ve made my peace with getting in the regular line for FOP — frankly, I’ve always wanted to do the regular line, as the FPP line skips a load of theming, including the floating Avatar tank thing in the lab. The line is mostly indoors, so it’s good for all weathers.

Obviously there was no SDD or ASS available on any of my dates. But I got a couple of TSMMs and I’ll periodically check to see if either of them can be modified into SDDs. (I’m not that bothered about ASS. I may use the regular line, which I believe tends to be reasonably short. It’s not that great a ride.)

8 Likes

Just bagged an FPP for BTMRR on departure day :smile:

12 Likes

Keep checking for SDD. Myself and DD got day-of Fastpasses for it three times last trip (two of those were on the same day - she said she wanted to ride it again and I snagged FPs for a couple of hours later while we were waiting to board Star Tours). :+1:

3 Likes

I’m glad you’re doing the dessert party. We went to MVMCP’s last date in December 2017 (sold out) and I hadn’t known about the pre-fireworks “mass of humanity” pile that assembles in front of the castle on crowded evenings. We were VERY glad not to be in that and to have the wonderful dessert party view!

1 Like

We just did MVMCP last week and really loved the Holiday feel of it, even though we were freezing. (Our bags had not shown up in time for us to put on warmer clothes before the party.) I hope you enjoy it!

It’s going to be weird being in WDW if it’s cold!

In the middle of winter we get calls from our Florida families complaining how cold it is. When I ask them how cold is it they say 50 and I just want to smack them because we are at 15 with 6" of snow.
So when it comes to how cold it is, is subjective to what you think cold is. I’m comfortable with just a Tee shirt, but you might be different.

2 Likes

Unfortunately none of the numbers you’re all talking about mean anything to me! I’m a Celsius kind of a guy.

In June WDW was around 32°C, which is hot — and is 90°F in your crazy system.

British summers are around 20°C, which is around 65°F.

So 50°F would be 10°C, which is probably t-shirt and hoodie weather if I’m moving around.

2 Likes

We went in December 2010 and it was literally freezing overnight for a few days. There was still frost on the ground at 8am, and they were seriously worried abut the citrus crops. During the day the temps hovered below 10˚C. Let’s just say we weren’t quite prepared for it be that cold. :joy:

the extended forcast has temps ranging from about 10C for lows to 21C for highs for the days that you’ll be there. It should be very comfortable by most standards.

One of the fun things about visiting the US is the crazy high temperatures. I will be disappointed if it’s just as cold as England!

2 Likes

I agree… I live in Rhode Island and there have been trips where it’s warmer at home than in FL. When we go in January my low expectation is that at least there won’t be snow in FL. If it hits 75F, I’m thillled.

2 Likes

I’m sad I won’t be able to run into you this time around! We’re headed there the 5th through the 10th. I have only done FOP stand by once and I think it’s really something everyone should try. Not for the long line (although miraculously, we only waited about 45 minutes!) but the details were really cool. And this coming from someone who still has never seen the movie.

2 Likes

(They also have the AK equivalent after hours event on my arrival day. I’ve resisted the temptation. That night I have EMH at Epcot till 11.30pm for free. And the following day is AK, which is not great scheduling doing the same park two days in a row. Also — flight delays etc could make it stressful.)

2 Likes

With regards to the weather, just bring a little of everything. Make sure you have a sweater that goes with those shorts and throw in a jacket and pants. We’ve been in March when the mornings are definitely jeans weather, but we changed to shorts by 11am. So be able to peel off and put on, as needed and you’ll be fine.

Also remember that WDW is designed to keep people cool, so if it is cold in the mornings, its not like you can scoot into a store or bathroom to warm up, because they have doors that let in breezes.

2 Likes

Wow! That’s great! Everything is working out nicely.

I’ve read multiple trip reports that recommend hats/gloves. My hands and head are often cold when everyone else is comfortable. I could see wanting gloves especially while waiting in outside lines.

Illuminations has a supposedly spectacular holiday ending that many say should not be missed. So late EMH at Epcot would be the way to go especially if you do not have another Epcot night planned. Good score on the HS after hours!

2 Likes

It is truly amazing! The first time I ever saw Illuminations was during the holiday season and I didn’t realize that the ending was different until I read a blog post a few months later. During my next trip in the summer, I saw Illuminations again and it was a big let down. The ending during the holidays is just so amazing!

1 Like