Pre Trip Report or How I Embraced Credit Card Rewards and Learned to Love Them

Yes, I heard they did change the bonus to a statement credit. Definitely less satisfying than having that rewards card in your hand, but still the same benefit, just have to imagine you are moving the money from one pocket to the other now. :wink:

I just tested the catch-all referral link I posted way back in the thread and it worked for me: Refer-A-Friend – Referral Page – Chase.com

(and they’ve simplified the link it provides since the last time I tried it.)

If not working, might be worth a call asking about it. I don’t think there is, but maybe there’s some amount of time that has to pass with a new card before you can refer?

Hmm. If they did that, not exactly sure what makes it a “Disney” Visa then.

I signed up about 5 months ago or so now, and I get a statement “credit” in the sense that it shows me how much I earned, but I have to request a rewards card to “cash in” when the time comes.

I think I’ll have to call. I just tried again to no avail.

I got a $200 disney gift card in the mail just a few days ago as a sign up bonus for Disney Visa credit card, I just signed up a couple weeks ago and spent my $500 immediately and then got the gift card beginning of the following billing cycle. It wasn’t a statement credit, it’s a physical gift card.

Yes. The $200 is a gift card. But the 1% (or 2%, depending on which card you get) is earned as a credit that must be “redeemed” on a card (acts like a gift card, but it isn’t technically a gift card) that you can request.

To date, for example, I’ve earned $104. So if I requested my redemption card, that’s how much would be on it. But I can request redemption of additional points to the same card going forward. This card is NOT the same as the $200 gift card.

Ahh I see. I was wondering how the rewards dollars work. I only have $5 so far, so wasn’t thinking about this yet. So what is the extra card you have to request called? It can be used like a gift card though I assume for Disney purchases only?

I think they call it a “redemption card”. But it is effectively identical to a Disney Gift Card in terms of ability to use it as far as I can tell.

Thanks

When I look at my own referral link, it says the $200 bonus is a statement credit. (Earned rewards still come on a card AFAIK.) I supposed there could multiple offers and the old $200 bonus on a card is still out there for some?

Huh, yes maybe I got one of the old offers then? I got it in the offer in the mail from chase and it specifically states $200 disney gift card. Which is what I received. Statement credit works just as well I suppose! I wonder what my husbands will be. He signed up for Disney Visa with a referral from me…he just spent his $500 so he should be getting the $200 soon. And I am owed a $100 referral, but if I recall the $100 referrals did say statement credit.

Yes, the rewards card only work for Disney purchases.

One tip: The minimum amount you can request on a new card is $10. A good trick to make sure you get every last dollar to use on your trip is when you first request your rewards, don’t ask for the full amount: leave $10 in your rewards account. Then, if you earn more rewards in the time leading up to your trip you can request all of the remaining rewards right before and they’ll just be added to the card you already have.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know!

Yep, so I guess maybe they had both kinds of offers still out there.

Referrals I’ve received in the past were all in the form of added rewards to my account. FWIW, the current referral I just checked also says that too.

I called about the referral thing. They said that it is a promotion that is not always available in all areas. They said I’ll get an email when I’m eligible.

We have gone in the exact opposite direction from everyone else, it seems.

My family’s biggest expense aside from mortgage and tuition is travel, and some years it’s more than tuition. I just threw in the towel and signed up for the Chase Reserve Sapphire. It has a huge annual fee, but huge perks. Living where we do (in the middle of nowhere), we buy so many expensive airline tickets for ourselves and our three college-age kids, we’re going to make out like bandits with this card. That annual $450 is not for the faint-hearted, though. It’s taken me a couple of years to work up to it with the regular Chase Sapphire. At first I thought it could never be worth it but we should have gone with the Reserve from the start. Live and learn.

I have this card and agree, if you travel a lot the Reserve is amazing! I look at it as only a $150 annual fee since they give you $300 in travel credit. It is my daily card, and I charge absolutely everything I can. The points add up so quickly! I recently discovered the airport lounge access you get with it as well, we used it while awaiting our flight home from Costa Rica. Food, free alcohol, free drinks for the kids, every chair with a phone charger, free wifi, private bathrooms…so many perks!

1 Like

Whew! Glad to see I’m not the only one willing to take the plunge! When I saw there was a 50% discount on airfare purchased with points I almost fainted. Should have done it years ago. And booking flights is a seamless process, as well.

We always have to connect to get anywhere and those lounges will be lovely, I miss that part about my lost FF status (I’m disloyal, ha). And the double warranty we have used at least once, for a computer, and the free trip insurance is also nice. Just a lot of good perks for frequent travelers.

Bonus points for the metal card that DH can’t break sitting on it all day, like he has all his other cards. :smile:

1 Like

Hmm, that stinks. Hope they kick in the referral soon!

It’s been a long time since I’ve added any new info to this thread - but think this is important:

For those playing the credit card bonus churning game:

Chase has had a 5/24 rule that says “You cannot have opened five or more personal credit cards *across all banks in the last 24 months” (see PointsGuy post) or you get a hard deny. and they kick your dog.

Until last fall, the Disney Visa and several other co-branded cards were not included in the rule, so the theory was to get more beneficial cards first (like the Sapphire), then get these co-branded ones after.

Now, you need to be aware 5/24 covers most, if not all, Chase cards.

2 Likes

Sorry if the following info has already been shared, but I didn’t have time to re-read the whole thread.The Sapphire Reserve will also pay for TSA Precheck once every five years. Also, if you use other Chase cards you can transfer your points to the Reserve and use them for travel. We use the Freedom Unlimited for everything but travel and dining and we get 1.5 points/dollar so it adds up even faster. You can also use the regular Freedom cards JUST in their 5X points categories. If you max out the Freedom card at 5X points ($1500) and then transfer them, you can get $112.50 worth of “free” travel in three months. This has enabled a lot of traveling for my family in the last few years. Also, you can spend your Reserve points on hotel stays and rental cars as well. The Disney resorts are available on the Chase site.

2 Likes