Pre-Trip Freakout!

I agree with what others have said, FPP lotto, lounges, wandering around WS. On our next kids in camp night we might check out Jelly rolls at the broad walk, you have to pay but it’s over 21’s and the pianoists are supposed to be great.

I do not “change” my plans.

I adjust them. I improve them. I sculpt them into a thing of beauty.

With each extra stroke of his brush, was Michelangelo changing his painting of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? No, of course not.

And I am the same. Exactly the same.

4 Likes

Originally, it was supposed to be a painting of a horse.

1 Like

Exactly. He improved it.

@disney1974 - We have never even stepped foot in a lounge, so this is a really great tip! Do you have a favorite lounge when you think about ambience, food choice, and beverage options?

@awspoede - THIS is so spot on “(including 0 bathroom emergencies, eating enitre meals with NO spills, and no one fussing while we waited for shows/rides/seating at a restaurant)”. Whenever I start to feel guilty about going without the kids, I try to remember all of these things.

@ryan1 - Thank you so much sharing your experience. This is what I’m hoping for as well…a relaxed, fun, magical trip full of moments together.

@lizzieanne771 - I agree completely! Different approaches work for different people and I always enjoy hearing that those that aren’t hardcore planners have wonderful trips. You inspire me to chill out some!

@bswan26 - You are so right! My “this is my last trip” mentality is not helping me to fully enjoy Disney out of fear of missing out of something. OMG! I have FOMO!

You all are so wonderful! Thank you so much for your feedback and advice.

2 Likes

I can definitely say that I did not miss anything I wanted to see going “off plan”. I had never had a plan before and thought I’d try it. I found out it doesn’t work for me. Live and learn! :slight_smile:

My last few trips have been adult only and mostly solo. Ingo with my husband but we each do our own things and meet together for meals and spend some of the day together.

I never make a plan. I do set up my fpps i advance but that is about the most i do.

I do try and rope drop most days. Hit the rides i like. Modify fpp on the fly and use lines app to see which ride i should do next.

this leaves me time to see the details, grab a dole whip and people watch. me

I often take a mid day nap to make up for daily rope dropping.

Without kids you set a pace that is less frantic. And less prone to meltdowns. They still can happen.

You do not have to worry about keeping kids entertained on lines or waiting for a show.

Don’t plan every minute. If you do the trip is over before you know it. Its like when you eat a candy bar you eat it and then when its finished you are left like I ate it all and you didnt taste it? Take time to savor the magic of Disney.

1 Like

I think my favorite lounge is Tutto Gusto. Great atmosphere, food and drinks. We had wonderful service too.

I was also told that you can ask for the full menu from Tutto Italia if you want something beyond the small plates on offer.

2nd favorite is Trader Sam’s. That place is really fun. Terrific drinks but a very limited food choice.

1 Like

I agree. A great place for a drink, but the food offerings definitely fall into the category of “something to snack on while you’re drinking” rather than an actual meal.

2 Likes

Late to the party here. And totally distracted by the attempts by @profmatt to rewrite the theasaurus entries for “change”.

However, here are some suggestions.

Adding to @bswan26’s suggestion of doing the American Adventure, try the following:

• look through the window and see Christopher Robin’s bedroom (you used to be able to go in, but sadly no more)
  • whilst in the U.K., have a look in the tea shop. It’s actually 4 different shops, spanning 4 centuries from a slab floor, low ceilings and rough walls to the modern sleek shop of the 20th century
  • rest in the U.K. garden, see if the band are playing
  • explore the Canadian gardens
  • look at the museum in Morocco, spot the flaws put there by the workmen (only Allah can create perfection, which is why they will crack a tile or use a wrong colour somewhere)
  • go right to the back of China, look at the ceiling and try the acoustics of the circular hall

Go to Jellyrolls in the evening, get there early for a table

Take the launch around Bay Lake from the Contemporary, get out and explore WL - see the geyser and the stream rising inside the lobby, look at the totem pole carvings and enjoy a coffee in the comfy seats up above the main door, or the rocking chairs overlooking the lobby. Go to the Carolwood Pacific Room and see Walt Disney’s model trains and old photos. And then explore FW a little, see the exhibition in the stables, look at the blacksmith’s workshop.

Go to AKL in the afternoon and catch one of the CM tours of the art (I think it’s the largest collection of African art in the US), hear the CMs talk about their home countries. Stay and have a cocktail in the Victoria Lounge, watch the drumming parade, have dinner either at Jambo or Kidani and go out and use the night vision goggles.

Take a carriage ride around POR - it’s less work than hiring a Surrey bike! Take the boat down to DS.

What the heck, try parasailing from the Contemporary (and post some pictures :smile:) Or take a fishing trip.

And don’t forget to just kick back in one (or more) of the lounges.

Enjoy the trip!

4 Likes

I never knew about the Carolwoid Pacific Room. I love Disney history and trains. I always thought yo had to go to Griffith Park in LA to see any of that memorabilia. Something to add to my next trip…

1 Like

These are EXCELLENT ideas!! Thank you so much!