Potential Hurricane - How to Decide?

Current Spaghetti Models showing widely different tracks across Florida

2 Likes

wow

we could really use a better understanding of the dynamics of weather

Oh, I don’t know. I can tell you EXACTLY what the weather is going to be like.

Unpredictable!

4 Likes

I appreciate everyone’s input and help. To each his own, but this morning I pulled the trigger … I delayed our trip out past next week to avoid the uncertainty and drama.

2 Likes

Just curious, (we may have to delay as well if it turns north and comes our way at home) did you have the free dining plan? If so, do you get to keep it? I don’t know how that works if we need to bump our trip…

It may have changed since then, but a couple of years ago when we were there during Irma, we would have lost free dining if we had changed dates.

Basically they were willing to cancel without any penalty. But any changes we made, we would have paid whatever the prevailing rate was at the time we made the change.

Thank you, that’s what I was afraid of. Unless it turns toward our home we are going then.

What kinds of travel impacts are we talking about here - besides can’t see thru the driving rain.

Coming in on I-75 and the turnpike, are there areas that will be closed due to flooding?

Obviously we can’t know the timing of the rain. Our main area of concern, driving wise, is Sunday mid day.

No, we did not sign up for the free dining plan. But this decision came at a “cost” nonetheless. Our MVT agent worked diligently to re-book our stay a week later for essentially the same total cash outlay. But, and it’s a big but … we are at a different resort for one less day because their agency exclusives are different a silly week later, ADR’s (including a coveted one at BOG) are gone, all FP’s are gone (again, including a coveted FOP FP), and we got stuck with Disney’s irritating nightly parking fee this time. Still, I’m okay with all that because this is a decision I am responsible for, not anyone else. Only time will tell if we made the right call. What we gain is a less worrisome & stressful trip, maybe avoiding a disaster, during the time of year we wanted to go in the first place to where we wanted to go in the first place. In other words I’m focusing on what we still gain, not what we lose.

8 Likes

An excellent attitude.
I hope you can pick up the ADR and FPP.
Have you tried the Rez finder?

2 Likes

I can’t speak from experience here. Although I live in FL, Orlando is a 7 hour drive; I don’t really go all that often, and so far, I have never had to do it during heavy rain. Given the current track and predicted landfall times, I would guess you could make it to Orlando before the brunt of the storm hits (I’d recommend trying to get to WDW by noon on Sunday.

But of course, all of this could change by tomorrow, depending on what track the storm takes. Right now landfall could be anywhere from Miami to Jacksonville. The worst for Orlando would be if it hits around Cocoa beach. Anywhere north of Orlando would be the “best” outcome for Orlando. South of Orlando would be somewhere in between, depending on how far south it hits.

Of course it also depends on how big the storm is and how fast it’s tracking when it makes landfall. In my experience anything outside of 3 days is an educated guess. The tracking/modeling technology has advanced enough that by the 3 day point they’re pretty accurate. But the only really accurate track is the one it did yesterday…

3 Likes

They do have a free dining offer for certain dates right now. So if you do need to cancel, you may want to check and see if there are other dates that work for you – you may still be able to get the free dining. I have no idea what hotels etc. are still available for that offer, but may be worth checking out.

Just weighing in to say that I made a very last minute decision to head to WDW for Spring Break this year when work commitments ended up being rescheduled. I booked my trip on a Tuesday for travel the following week. I was able to get FoP FPPs! I obsessively stalked/modified my FPs, and also be aware of the same-day drops. I am not usually big on dining reservations, but there were options. People’s plans do change last-minute. It’s not hopeless, and I’m glad you’re getting the peace of mind (and hopefully better weather).

1 Like

I’m South East of Disney, so not sure about i-75 or flooding, but I would strongly encourage you to keep your gas tank as full as possible! If you are at half a tank & drive by a gas station then stop. People go crazy filling up empty tanks for generators & gas grills. Lines have already started in some areas.

4 Likes

Oh, good point!

Obvious point but one easily overlooked in all the other excitement.

We are due to fly in on Sunday from NY and are thinking of delaying our trip by a couple of days. Any thoughts on if we should arrive on Tuesday vs Wednesday? I’m not sure how long the rain and winds will last. I want to keep as many ADR’s and FPP as possible as I spent hours perfecting them.

The 2 P.M. National Hurricane Center update. Category Three storm hitting coast of Florida on Monday morning. could miss Florida completely, depends on if the Bermuda High strengthens as expected

2 Likes

Either day would probably be OK, but there’s no specific reason to go on Tuesday, I’d wait until Wednesday, just to be on the safer side.

1 Like

You do know what’s bound to happen next, don’t you?

Dorian will make landfall in Florida on Monday. By Wednesday, the remnants will return to the Atlantic, where it will be nothing more than a tropical depression that picks up and becomes a tropical storm, circling back around and hitting Florida on the coast a SECOND time as a category 2 Hurricane about a week later just as you arrive. :wink:

1 Like

Fwiw, if I had a flight on Sunday, I’d rather fly in on Saturday if possible than fly in after the storm passes, because of flight delays and any possible damage after the storm passes. That is, if flying, I’d rather fly in before and ride it out. I think the worst of it will be past by Tuesday, but the travel disruption could continue past that.

2 Likes