Possible or crazy? Disneyland one day trip from San Diego?

Awwwww… that’s too bad!

I vote for car rental too. It’s an uncomplicated drive - straight up I-5 and you’re schedule is your own. DL park tickets purchased thru AAA often come with free parking, if someone in your party is a member. Happy planning. Happy touring.

2 Likes

Parking was $17 last time I was there. There are a few different lots, but good signs from the freeway to direct you there. There are shuttle buses from some or tram (or walk - often faster!) from the Mickey and friends structure. We always park at the toy story lot since its convenient from coming northbound I-5. frequent busses to the park from TS lot. You can take the disneyland drive exit from the carpool lane from I-5 - very convenient and only a few lights to get to parking. And our AAA tix did come with free parking back in may/June but not sure if that’s always the case.

1 Like

Thank you for all your detailed help! They say the hotel is very close to the airport, at Liberty Station. Since I am arriving with nine other travelers, I think I will have to check in before I leave. I keep on going back and forth in my thinking about the PH. My son, who usually travels with me to WDW tells me I should look at this as a trial run and use it to decide if I want a longer trip. I must admit you are making me consider trying to go solo. I think I could PH alone, but dread the thought of dragging three non- disney crazies along.

Ditch the others. Go solo. Almost all your big rides will have single rider. And DLR is crazy fun as a solo traveler. You’ll have a blast and oh yeah. Do the hopper.

2 Likes

I think it’s possible. We did this in fall 2009 but we drove from Carlsbad. We didn’t move our hotel until after we had visited both Legoland and Disneyland. I think it was just over an hour from Carlsbad? but that’s been a few years so our drive wasn’t quite as long. We did have a blast. Weren’t too late in arriving and stayed until the end of the Halloween fireworks and then drove back to Carlsbad. Traffic both ways was not bad on a Wednesday. Very tiring but lots of fun!!

1 Like

So, I have a couple of friends that are telling me I am crazy. Can you tell me about I-5? Are the roads that much different than the East coast?

To me, a highway is a highway. The I-5 can be a bit daunting because it’s 4 to 6 lanes wide (in each direction) in places - but it’s still just a highway. If there is no traffic, speeds will be high; if traffic, it will be a parking lot. In general, I find CA drivers to be better and more considerate than many east coast drivers. To put it in perspective, I have NO issues driving in/through San Diego, LA, Seattle, etc. I REFUSE to drive in/through NYC, Boston, or Washington DC…

1 Like

Thank you! I asked a co-worker today. She said, " you commute an hour each way in Boston traffic every day. It is two more lanes, you know how to change lanes, you’lol be fine". Does that sound right?

If you can handle a Boston commute, you have NOTHING to worry about driving from San Diego to Orange County (DL is actually south of LA proper, and you exit before the really bad downtown traffic stoppages).

2 Likes

Thank you! i know I wil be tired on the way back to the hotel but if I have to leave before eight I will. You made me feel so much better!

San Diego to Anaheim on I-5 is a straight shot. No confusing freeway changes, just exit at Disneyland. Depending on your drive time, you’re sure to hit some sticky/slow spots northbound. If your return is in evening/post commute hours, it should be a breeze. We are in north San Diego County and rarely have nighttime drive issues when we leave the parks. Have a great time in the parks!

Thank you! I land around 10:00am so I am hoping to avoid traffic both ways. I just booked a rental! I know I will regret it if I do not go, so I am!

2 Likes

10 a.m. will be the optimal time to drive - morning commute over and afternoon not yet started. I’ll be waving at you as you pass thru Carlsbad.

1 Like

I want to thank you all! I woke up at 3:30am east coast time caught a 7:00am flight from Boston. I was standing on Main Street at a little after 2:00 ( in the pouring rain)! Of course I had a plan and I did almost everything I could ( lots of attractions were closed). My first attraction? Indiana Jones! What a great ride! I then went to PoC ( yup better than WDW). HM was closed at this time so I ate some jambalaya and then walked around the park. I was able to ride the Matterhorn, Space, Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride and the HM before I went back to HM. Wow! At 5:00 I hopped over to DCA. Once again many attractions were closed. I was just so happy to be there! I did do California Screamin 2x. The first time was great. The second time, the pouring rain was so painful! I finished my night at 7:00 after Soarin x2. I did stop by DTD before I hopped on the tram, and I was on my way back to the hotel by 8:00. I must admit the 90 minute ride back was scary. I had to talk to myself because I was so tried. I made it back to the hotel a little after 9:30.

Once again, I could never have done this without your help. Thank you!

6 Likes

Good for you @PrincipalTinker! That’s amazing!! :heart: Very happy that it worked out, even with the rain. Sounds like a great day!

2 Likes

So glad you had a good time. I LOVE DLR. I would take DL in the rain over MK in the sun ANY DAY…

3 Likes

I loved Indiana Jones! I know it is the same ride vehicle as Dinosaur but wow! I really enjoyed California Screamin but I am a thrill ride junkie. If it wasn’tpouring, I could of done that all night! I loved that I could leave Soarin and then walk back on one of my favorite attractions, but the screen is in better shape in EP, and that is sad. I was surprised by the Matterhorn and I enjoyed it more than I thought. Space is amazing! I kept a FP just so I could always have it. Another attraction that if I had more time I would do over and over. My favorite? I was shocked by Haunted Mansion! I stayed behind just trying to see it all ! When the stretching room dialog began and I realized how it had changed I just started giggling while pixie dust filled my eyes. Wow, just wow. Alright, Iloved it all.

2 Likes

For some reason IASW was not lit up! I saw the lights around Big Thunder, which I did not expect! I figured they may have turned the lights on at Small World later but I needed to spend some time in DCA. A park hopper may have been a mistake, but I wanted to see both parks.

2 Likes

Just now catching up with forum posts, but I AM SO GLAD THIS WORKED OUT FOR YOU!! Yay!!! What a super adventure!!!

1 Like