Port Orleans Riverside - what's it like?

That is great savings! My question about sleeping is that I think as someone pointed out the pack and play will need to go by the door? This link should be to the page with the map http://www.portorleans.org/alligator-bayou.php. I think once the baby is down for the night no one can enter or exit the room? Is that right? I know we can always plan around everything here - I was just wondering if that is an issue (it would be true in any room with 6?).

Maybe my memory deceives me, but you should be able to get the door open enough to get in and out. On our last visit we kept our stroller there unclosed and had enough room to open the door fully.

There was plenty of room to open and close the door with the pack n play! It goes basically where it says “connecting doorway (where fitted)”. We went back to the room for naps on two of our days and I was able to come and go while my son was sleeping with no problem.

1 Like

I will be staying at Port Orleans myself and this will be my first time at WDW. I am ecstatic that this question was asked. My goal is to have a relaxing vacation and POR seems to offer what I look for. My children will be more excited about the park than the hotel. When we went on a cruise for the first time, they enjoyed having a bunk bed, so being away from home is excitement in itself for them. We are going in September, so I am hoping my dates fall within the free dining plan times, because that will reduce my trip by about $400 and that will be more funds to enjoy Disney Springs area with.

1 Like

Two things bothered me about the resort when we stayed there about three years ago. The banjo music piped in all over the place drove me nuts.The bus, main building, pool, walkways - ugh, everywhere. I much prefer the music at CBR and CSR. At those two places, I felt like I was a tropical beach vacation, at POR, I felt like I was stuck in swamp. The other thing that I did not like about it was that sometimes you stop at POFQ. This means your bus ride can be longer. And it drove me crazy that sometimes we stopped, sometimes we didn’t - just mind games when you want to get to the parks or get back to the rooms.

I will say, we are staying there again in less than two weeks. It was not my first choice, CSR and CBR were booked. I, like you, considered staying at a higher end resort (Boardwalk), but just couldn’t justify the extra $1,000 just for sleeping there. This time, we will be driving to the parks, except for MK and EP.

Has anyone done the surrey rides or bike rides here? I plan on doing one of those with my family and wondering which is better. The surreys are so cute and I think better for my 6yo who might get bored of pedaling but I think the bikes let you go through more of the trails and smaller paths. Thoughts?

I did the surrey ride with my two younger kids this past December. My DS is 12 and he helped me pedal while my DD 8 got in the middle seat and “assisted” with steering and ringing the bell for people to watch out for us. It was hilarious and we had a great time! I about died trying to get the hills at the turn where Swalphin and then again as we got to the other bridge and Epcot entrance area. Those don’t look like big hills but when you’ve got a skinny 12 year old, a non-pedaling passenger and an out of shape mom trying to go up- it was really tough. I ended up getting out and pushing each time we got to those areas. We made it around twice for our 30 minute rental and the kids loved it. I would do it again if my hubby were with me or I had one less kid to lug! :wink:

Oh and this was at the BC resorts so not sure the paths at POR!

1 Like

How big in POR in comparison to Coronado Springs?

POR had slightly more rooms than CS (before CS’s current construction project). CS rooms surround a 22-acre lake. I like to look at satellite view maps on Google. You can see them both in the same picture, to compare. Plus it has a scale on the image, and you can zoom in or out.

I looked at the map and it does look like the footprint of POR is bigger than CSR but they lake takes up a huge portion of that! Maybe if we don’t go back to CSR we will look into POFQ instead. I really liked CSR though. Just was thinking about doing something different.