Port Orleans Riverside Thoughts

I can totally see why people love POR (I used to be one of them), but after 5 separate stays this last stay was really disappointing for us. We recently had a fantastic stay at the Contemporary and CSR has become our go-to mod. But you’re right, bad service can really happen anywhere and it does seem that Disney’s standards have gone down over the last several years. It is what it is – makes me glad there are so many resorts to try if one just doesn’t do it for you.

We will be at POR in 31 days. I am so surprised by these reviews. When I did my research in January on the moderates with the free dining package. I could not find one negative thing posted about POR. Now I am worried, I only went with the moderate resort because I did not want to deal with the ADRs on the regular DDP that came with the Deluxe resorts. To much work and stress having to make and decide what I want to eat 180 days in advance, just not necessary in my opinion. I will pay out of pocket for any sit down restaurants I would like to experience at Disney Spring or try for a same day reservation in the parks. This was supposed to be a relaxing trip and I did not want to stress out. Now I have SWGE opening early, poor transportation, small rooms, poor maid service, lots of construction. Yikes! I will just have to hope for a positive experience at POR to late to change now.

1 Like

Well I and my wife will be there at PoR Oct 1-10. We love it there so I am really unsure why all problems. I can understand that people all have their favorite resorts but I can tell you our is PoR. We stay at Magnolia Bend as it looks like mansions from the south. I can’t tell you about Alligator Alley because frankly we haven’t stayed there and have no desire to try it. Might get stuck there one trip but for now it’s Magnolia Bend for us.

Thank you for your response. This will be our first time at POR we will be in the Alligator Bayou. I going to keep a positive attitude and hope for the best. The grounds look lovely and quiet which will be nice after a day at the parks. Looking forward to the boat rides to Disney Spring. It’s been 15 years since we have been to WDW so I truly looking forward to this trip with my adult children. Wishing you and your wife a magical time!! ENJOY

Don’t worry, POR is a good resort and you’ll have a great time.

3 Likes

I’ll be there at around the same time as you, it’s a great resort and you will have a wonderful time! Don’t worry too much about these comments, in my experience these things are what you make them. It’s beautiful and comfortable and you won’t be spending much time there anyway!

3 Likes

Welcome, have a great trip

We will be at POR in a few days, First time staying at moderate. In the past we’ve stayed at POP. With free dining offered in Feb …we booked at POR due to good reviews. Hoping for the best we’ve invested quite a bit in this visit. Maybe we can just opt out of maid service and get the gift cards. I’ve heard they give $10/day and you can just call for towels, coffee replenishment and trash pick up. Going to make the best of it. Maybe I’ll post findings upon return. Hopefully positive :smile:

1 Like

We stayed in Alligator Bayou and had a great stay.

Sorry. That wasn’t my intent at least. We enjoyed our time. I guess what I was getting at is stuff happens…even at WDW. No need to worry. You’ll have a great time. We don’t regret staying at POR. I don’t think we’ll plan on staying at any resort twice until we’ve tried more resorts out. It sounds like from other posts that “stuff” will happen at any resort.

This is exactly the point that I was trying to make in my post about our issues with AoA’s bus service.
Pick a resort because it fits your budget and it appeals to you.

1 Like

No need to apologize! I will keep a positive attitude and have a fabulous time with my adult children. It’s been 15 years since we have all been together at WDW and that’s the most important part! However, I think we are going to rent a car and forgo the buses that will elevate some of my concerns with the increase SWGE crowds. Thanks again!

This is a really great solution - POR is a beautiful resort, but its main downside is the size (which drives wait times for the bus service and crowded quick service restaurant). If you have a car or are willing to spring for an Uber / Minnie Van, you can avoid this issue. Plus, you can eat most of your meals in the parks or Disney Springs, or eat at an off-peak meal time.

1 Like

I stayed at POR in the Bayou building 15 and loved it! The people were nice and the kids loved the pool and all the activites they had lined up for the kids. Had no problems at all with the busses. I thought it was quiet and peaceful after a full day in the parks. We would totally return…having a drink during yeehaa bob performance is fun too if you can fit it in

2 Likes

remember one thing. There is a lot of construction going on an driving can be a pain.

1 Like

Thanks, I got a great deal today through Costco on a car so I think it will be fine. We were not planning on eating to much at the hotel. It been so many years since we have been there so we are very excited

1 Like

Question- where did Uber/lyft pick you up? Could you request by your royal building? I see there is a parking area behind. Or did you need to pick up by the lobby? I haven’t been to POR before.

All ride shares are suppose to pick you up at the front lobby, but in speaking with drivers and annoyed resort valets, Uber/Lyft drivers are also known to pick up close to your hotel room via parking lots.

1 Like

Aha, ok. Thanks for the info.

We recently stayed in Oak Manor and took a Minnie Van (very expensive but wanted to get to EMM on time) one morning to MK and it picked us up in front of the building…it was programmed into the app…we did not have to the lobby of the main building at POR…Have fun on your trip!