POR-Riverside & dogs

Do we know what buildings have dogs staying in them? I have an allergy and absolutely can’t stay in a room where a dog has stayed. Looking at faxing my room request and this will help with my decision.

Someone may have a more specific answer.

But if my top priority was staying in a room that has not been occupied by a dog, I would state that clearly in the first line of the fax, stressing your allergy. In fact, I might only stay that in my fax request.

I agree with @OBNurseNH that if that is your highest/only priority, it is worth having that be the only thing you ask for. However, the below link has a lot more specific info that you could look at. It sounds like they are trying to restrict dogs to building 24, but that isn’t necessarily a guarantee. There is also a map of the dog relief areas, so you could request something far from those.

Also, this site is a great resource for POR/POFQ in general!

People bring service dogs all the time, I don’t think they can guarantee 100% that a dog has never stayed in a certain room. I’m not being snarky at all, just giving a heads up.

3 Likes

I was kind of wondering why PofNR ,(Intermediate resort) is at about the same price as Art of music resort which is a value resort. I believe I have found the answer. My Travel agent has already stated the many clients are changing resorts or dropping their vacation to WDW because of this policy. Don’t even get me started on the service dog issue. I am all for service dogs when that is truly what they are. Now a days it seem like that status is granted to about any dog or cat there is. There is a limit to what I will take when it comes to service animals. You may feel differently and that is your right. If the animal is truly needed for service I have no problem with that and they can stay right next door. Service animals are well trained and unless you have a allergy, they are no problem

To truly qualify as a service animal, the animal must perform an activity for the owner. I.E emotional support animals are not service animals and may be denied access.

Interestingly we learned recently where I work that we allow only service dogs and miniature horses :laughing: I can’t even imagine the look on someone’s face if they were to walk into a pt room and see a miniature horse!

1 Like

Miniature horses!? :joy::joy::joy:

That’s hilarious! I wonder why you never see them?

There’s probably some little girl distraught she ended up with a service Labrador instead of a Shetland!

2 Likes

I assume you mean Art of Animation. Because it’s mainly suites, though it is classed as a value the cost has always been much higher. I believe that AoA is another pet friendly resort, so people certainly aren’t moving their stay from POR to there to avoid dogs, if that’s what you are implying - I wasn’t sure if you were.

Can’t speak directly to POR, but there have been a lot of things come to light about how they handle dogs at YC. Initially, CMs we telling people that they were only being allowed on the first floor close to the area they do their ‘business’. There have also been reports from Disney veterans that go all the time that the number of dogs in the parks, on the Boardwalk, etc FAR exceeds what has been seen in the past when it was just service animals. You can form your own conclusions as to whether or not they are all service animals- but they are being seen in the parks in strollers, they are carried around, etc. There are reports of them also in restaurants. Then, last week on TripAdvisor a guy posted a picture of him and his dog (along with a trip report) ON the bed- which is against written policy (no animals on furniture)- in a Club Level room at the YC. A picture is worth a thousand words and can’t be written off as rumor. Well, this started a firestorm of calls to the resort. Now- depending on the CM you talk to at the YC- there is no designated area for dogs- they are being put in many areas. Needless to say- lots of people are moving their reservations out of there until the policies are formalized and published in writing instead of this ‘wishy washy’ policy where no one knows what is actually going on.

So- back to your particular issue. I, too, am highly allergic to dogs- which is the main reason I am seeking out all available information on the new dog policies. On your room request, state you are allergic- and request a medical grade clean of your room prior to arrival. Make no other requests if you expect this to be done- as it takes time. This request guarantees nothing- it may or may not be adequate for your needs.

I don’t have an issue with dogs- grew up with them and became allergic in my early adult years. We don’t stay in hotels that allow animals- period. When a hotel or chain starts allowing them- they lose our business- we ‘vote’ with our pocket book. Making a trip to the ER while at WDW is not my idea of a ‘magical’ vacation- there is no way I am staying in any of the pet friendly resorts.

1 Like

I have no problems with dogs either except for the noise they could make while I try to get rest or in a restaurant. The thing is that Disney laid this on us out of the blue. I think this is really going to hurt the resorts that allow this. They believe it will bring in more revenue. I disagree. Time will tell. As I have not had my Port of New Orleans Riverside vacation yet and do to the fact this policy was put on us after the reservation was made, we will have to see how it goes. Anyone that thought CM’s were going to police this matter are sorely mistaken. Remember they are mostly minimum wage employees and they do only what they must. As far as restaurants go, NO WAY! True Service dogs exempt). Last time this happened at the Port of New Orleans Riverside restaurant I made a stink about it to no avail. This time if it happens I will take a picture of the so called service dog and post it for all to see.

Since most people consider their dogs part of the family, I’m sure dogs allowed in the room are on the beds all the time. I see enough pictures of dogs on beds on Facebook to know they love to sleep with their pets. Can’t untrain a dog to do that for a vacation. are they supposed to be in a crate 100% of the time you are not there? If not who is to stop your pup from jumping on the bed/couch etc. seriously, I hate this new policy.

Well…see…there’s the whole problem in a nutshell. IF someone takes their dog to WDW- they are required to sign an agreement that their dogs will not be on the furniture (along with many other rules). It’s written policy, but as you mentioned- few people on the planet could give a crap about what the rules are and do what they want to do anyways. I am hoping they pull this ‘experiment’ off the table sooner rather than later. Just wait until some kid gets mauled in the MK by a dog that is someone’s pet and not a service animal- which will happen sooner rather than later given the throngs of people that visit WDW and the number of people that ‘appear’ (again, hard to confirm) to be breaking the rules. Then all h*ll is gonna break loose.

3 Likes

I’m a dog-owner and my dog is 100% a part of my family. He’s currently lying on the sofa next to me, and later on he’ll be on my bed, where we’ll be sleeping together. (He used to get in bed me with when he was younger, but he seems to prefer being on top of the duvet nowadays.)

We are together 24/7. Except this summer when I took a trip to WDW and left him behind (for the first time in 4.5 years).

On every other vacation he comes with me. I only stay at dog-friendly hotels. I generally check the details of the dog policy before I book. There’s no way I’d stay somewhere that didn’t allow him to be on the furniture and in bed with me.

If I’ve understood it correctly, Disney’s policy is nuts. First off, it’s hugely expensive. Second, it seems like they’re OK with you leaving your dog alone in the room while you go out and have fun in the parks. How is that not going to be a disaster? If I did that to my dog, he’d bark and bark and howl and howl until I came back.

For which reason, I wouldn’t bring him with me to WDW. It just makes no sense to me. If he can’t be with my during the day, I’m going to have to pay for doggy day care. On top of the expense of the nightly room charge. That’s going to add easily well over $1,000 to a ten night trip. For what? All I’d get for that is being able to sleep in bed with my dog, and him with me.

But that’s against the rules anyway!

For the record, my experience of dog-friendly hotels is that the dogs are extremely well-behaved. The kind of person who loves their dog so much that they take them on vacation with them (often at extra cost) is generally a responsible dog-owner. My dog doesn’t bark in the breakfast room, or run around while people are trying to eat. He doesn’t bark in the room. He doesn’t wee or poo indoors.

Dog-friendly hotels are not per se a bad idea. But at Disney World? I don’t see how that’s going to work well for anyone.

3 Likes

What’s the phrase? Caring is sharing, and that is what has to be done in this case. As I stated in my last post, if you see a pet where it doesn’t belong then snap a photo of the incident. Bring it to Disney’s attention and then post it out here. The secret to taking care of this situation is to keep everyone informed. I stated before that if Disney wants a dog friendly resort that’s OK with me. Not an add on to an existing resort but a total dog friendly resort. That way no one will have a problem because they will know what their getting into before they book. Profmatt is right. Why bring your dog and assume these risks at the rate of monetary increase you are going to have to pay. Your dog will be much happier at home in a kennel or with a friend than staying all by their selves all day. The cost can’t be anymore than what it will cost you to bring it with.

To Happy_2_B— In the US it is the law that hotels and motels accept service dogs. So there would not be a single hotel that you can stay in. You may have stayed in a room that had a animal in it before you and you were not even aware of it.
I have a dog that travels with me. We follow the rules. Most dog owners do. I agree with profmatt if someone is going to pay that much more to have their pet with them they are going to be responsible. Personally my dog would go to Disney’s kennel rather than be locked in the room.
I have gone thru service dog training with my dog and it is hard work and takes dedication. My dog is not a service dog and I would not pass him off as one. But those that are are extremely well trained. They are also not aggressive dogs or guard dogs. If as you say, Happy 2 B, that someone will get mauled eventually then I can guarantee it will not be by a legitimate service dog.
So you need to separate your issues with dogs.
Only service dogs are allowed into the parks–the law says Disney can not ask for the reason the person has a service dog or its certification–so talk to your Senator or Representative it you want that changed.
Just because Disney allows dogs in the hotels does not mean that there will be a mauling at the parks.
I agree that Disney needs some written policy stating (they may already have one I don’t know) the rules for a dog in a room and how anyone breaking the rules will be dealt with. There are rules at the campground which has allowed dogs for years by the way. Again I don’t know the rules or how they police them. But we will just have to wait and see how it all works out.
Sorry for the rant. I just get ticked off when people are so against something before it even has a chance, especially when they try to put everyone that has a dog and every dog in a bad light.

1 Like

Let me correct you on one thing and I do not know where you got your information. Disney can and must ask to see a service dogs certification. This is why they must carry one Others with a valid concern have a right to see it also. Most service animals are even supposed to wear some sort of identification showing they are such. This is the law at least in the state of ND. I will assume it is the same in all 50 states. I don’t know about the chances of a mauling but I do know that allergies are real and life threatening. As a former Paramedic, I can tell you that an allergic reaction is no small matter. A person can die within minutes if the right medicine is not available. Most people with these type of allergies carry epi pens but they are not always available. Service animals are a necessity for some people but even they are a risk. It’s balancing act when it comes to this. I love dogs and cats and many other animals, but they do not belong in every situation and this is one of them that poses a big risk. I am sure Disney has weighed this risk and has made their decision, so too will the people that use their parks and resorts. Time will tell who is right or wrong in this situation.

1 Like

My last comment as this is a positive forum and I will not be drawn into your negativity. Your info on seeing certification is wrong. This is one reason there is a problem in the parks. And anyone can buy a vest for a dog that says “service dog” on the internet. No doubt that allergies can be life threatening everyone knows that (I am a current Medic and also work in the OR) . But even before non service dogs were allowed in rooms at Disney service dogs were allowed in the rooms, in the parks and on some rides. Someone with allergies to dogs has to take the same precautions as someone with food allergies. Should Disney ban peanuts from their parks and rooms or should it be the individuals responsibility to be in the know?

3 Likes

It is actually against the law to ask someone to provide proof that a service animal is in fact a service animal.

2 Likes

IV. Handler’s Responsibilities

The handler is responsible for the care and supervision of his or her service animal. If a service animal behaves in an unacceptable way and the person with a disability does not control the animal, a business or other entity does not have to allow the animal onto its premises. Uncontrolled barking, jumping on other people, or running away from the handler are examples of unacceptable behavior for a service animal. A business has the right to deny access to a dog that disrupts their business. For example, a service dog that barks repeatedly and disrupts another patron’s enjoyment of a movie could be asked to leave the theater. Businesses, public programs, and transportation providers may exclude a service animal when the animal’s behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. If a service animal is growling at other shoppers at a grocery store, the handler may be asked to remove the animal.
· The ADA requires the animal to be under the control of the handler. This can occur using a harness, leash, or other tether. However, in cases where either the handler is unable to hold a tether because of a disability or its use would interfere with the service animal’s safe, effective performance of work or tasks, the service animal must be under the handler’s control by some other means, such as voice control.2
· The animal must be housebroken.3
· The ADA does not require covered entities to provide for the care or supervision of a service animal, including cleaning up after the animal.
· The animal should be vaccinated in accordance with state and local laws.
· An entity may also assess the type, size, and weight of a miniature horse in determining whether or not the horse will be allowed access to the facility.
V. Handler’s Rights

a) Public Facilities and Accommodations
Titles II and III of the ADA makes it clear that service animals are allowed in public facilities and accommodations. A service animal must be allowed to accompany the handler to any place in the building or facility where members of the public, program participants, customers, or clients are allowed. Even if the business or public program has a “no pets” policy, it may not deny entry to a person with a service animal. Service animals are not pets. So, although a “no pets” policy is perfectly legal, it does not allow a business to exclude service animals.
When a person with a service animal enters a public facility or place of public accommodation, the person cannot be asked about the nature or extent of his disability. Only two questions may be asked:

1. Is the animal required because of a disability?
  2. What work or task has the animal been trained to perform?
    These questions should not be asked, however, if the animal’s service tasks are obvious. For example, the questions may not be asked if the dog is observed guiding an individual who is blind or has low vision, pulling a person’s wheelchair, or providing assistance with stability or balance to an individual with an observable mobility disability.4
    A public accommodation or facility is not allowed to ask for documentation or proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Local laws that prohibit specific breeds of dogs do not apply to service animals.5
    A place of public accommodation or public entity may not ask an individual with a disability to pay a surcharge, even if people accompanied by pets are required to pay fees. Entities cannot require anything of people with service animals that they do not require of individuals in general, with or without pets. If a public accommodation normally charges individuals for the damage they cause, an individual with a disability may be charged for damage caused by his or her service animal.6"

For your reference: Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals | ADA National Network

2 Likes

Thanks for the reference handbook by the ADA. (A public accommodation or facility is not allowed to ask for documentation or proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Local laws that prohibit specific breeds of dogs do not apply to service animals.5). I guess here we would need a lawyer to clarify exactly what is meant legally by a public accommodation or facility. As we go farther into the hand book there are a number of examples where a certification or training is required. There are only certain questions that may be asked in certain situations as well of the service animal. I do not know how much of this handbook is biding legally and how much is a guideline. As I am NOT a lawyer adverse in this field I will not claim to know if this is a legal statuate. It does seem to me though that one mush provide some type of proof that the animal is what you say he is otherwise anyone could claim their animal is a service animal and be allowed such consideration. OK I can only tell what I know about such animals and their certification in my state and how restaurants handle these situations. I think I am going to leave it at that. I know my feelings on the subject and I see how others see the opposite. Right or wrong Disney’s new policy is in effect for certain resorts. Time will tell on who wins out and what business is lost because of this policy.