Poncho Up!

How many ponchos do we need? There are 5 adults and 3 children in our group. We will be at the parks 8 days. Right now I have 20 adult ponchos and 10 child ponchos. Is that enough? We will also have a rain cover for the double stroller. Thanks!

Depends on how good the ponchos are and when you are going. We only bring one per each person, but I buy the Totes ones which are very durable. More likely to have rain in the summer months than other months, so I would factor that in, too.

2 Likes

I think that’s fine. Unless you are planning to toss them every time you use them. We took 20 last time for a 12 day trip (June) and came home with 8. We did use them over a couple times. We always take a couple plastic grocery bags along to put them in after we use them, so they don’t get the rest of our gear

This trip we have a couple Disney ponchos, I got myself a zip up poncho and a few disposable. Also have a couple small umbrellas and baseball hats. I have glasses and a baseball hat helps keep my glasses dry.

1 Like

I always end up taking too many, but at $1.00 a piece at Walmart, I do not care. They are small and do not take up much space in the luggage.

1 Like

Third week of August…there will be rain!

1 Like

I bought ponchos from Walmart for a $1 I would have bought more if I knew they were that cheap. When I went back 2 weeks later they were $5 even at $5 they were worth it DD and DW used them everyday and they lasted the 5 day trip and came home in good shape. I got mine from Bass Pro Shop and spent $6 the last day mine ripped down the neck but was still usable. I did have a couple of the $1 clear plastic Walmart ones but never got to use them.

1 Like

I bought ponchos yesterday at my hometown Walmart for 97 cents. I had to hunt for them. They also have more expensive ones, but the “$1.00” ponches are in the fishing/camping department. The hunt is worth it if you are shopping for the whole family.

1 Like

You can get them at Dollar Tree. They are, not surprisingly, a dollar. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We typically get the value pack from amazon for our family of 6 (well we actually bought 2 value packs last trip). I think there are 10/pack and they are the slightly more expensive ones with the long arms with bands and the drawstring around the hood. Not much better quality than the $ ones but I like the drawstring hood. A 10 pack is about $15.
https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Disposable-Rain-Ponchos-Drawstring/dp/B0733M7B79/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1533058797&sr=8-13&keywords=ponchos+family+pack+reusable+drawstring+hood

2 Likes

IKEA’s ponchos are surprisingly durable and functional. A little more than a dollar but I have one I’ve been using for over 5 years - Products - IKEA

1 Like

I just tried to order these ponchos from Amazon but they are out of stock right now.

Last trip 2 of nearby dollar stores had no ponchos (!?). Found some @3rd store, farther away. Not sure if Walmart had them that year. So this trip, I’m going to call ahead, since the dollar stores are in 3 different directions from my town.

BTW, they were very flimsy, but for short rainstorms were adequate (there in April). This trip is October, so I’m sure they’ll be fine then too.

I like that they can be thrown away once soaked, rather than trying to dry out in 1 or 2 small bathrooms for all of us.