Poll Time - How old were you when you found out Goofy is a cow?

• Of course he’s a cow, didn’t Clarabell give it away?
  • I was today years old when I found out. Now I’m questioning everything I thought I knew about Disney.

0 voters

My whole world just turned upside down with this news. My DVC and AP cards should be taken away! What kind of superfan am I?!

3 Likes

“While it’s true that Goofy and Clarabelle Cow were once an item, this is not proof that they were the same species of animal. Clarabelle was the sometimes girlfriend of Horace Horsecollar, who was a horse and not a cow, and the Disney universe includes multiple examples of inter-species couples”

I like the answer that he’s a cartoon :smile:

Big Mike

12 Likes

In fact, my daughter and I asked Goofy last year if he was a cow and he said no. He’s also not a dog. He confirmed for us he’s just a Goofy.

14 Likes

I like both of those answers! :grinning:

5 Likes

“ Goofy was introduced as a side character named “Dippy Dawg” in the cartoon short Mickey’s Revue (1932) but underwent some revisions over the next few years.”

Hmmmm…original name was “Dippy Dawg”…wonder if that tells us anything… :laughing:

6 Likes

Of course Clarabell is a cow and Goofy is a dog. Babylon 5 and Star Trek: Enterprise had interspecies relationships, too.

8 Likes

Can’t be a dog. How do you explain Pluto as Mickey’s pet, but Goofy as his pal. Too different for them both to be dogs.

ETA - I like the answer he is a cartoon best.

2 Likes

Theories abound!

https://www.bestoforlando.com/articles/goofy-pluto-debate-both-dogs-but-different/

3 Likes

Yall back up off my favorite character.

I have this irrational adoration for goofy. Like I can’t even watch any of the movies with that little brat max because he is so mean to his awesome dad and can go straight to hell.

One day I realized that it’s because goofy reminds me of my Dad. Lanky, loping, country, awkward, adorable, silly, hyucking Goofy Dad.

Here’s our favorite pic of him, the one time he has ever worn shorts in my entire life, and yes his legs and arms are different colors and he only owns boots. Next to a pic from almost 30 years later, in the same state park, w my kids.

Goofy is not a cow. He is a gift.

26 Likes

I can’t vote, he’s not a cow.

8 Likes

He’s a dog.
Look at the ears.
Has there ever been a cow with long ears??
This is just tomfoolery.

8 Likes

April 1st, people. April 1st.

5 Likes

I didn’t even think of that! This all started because someone shared a stupid meme with me, that I then shared with my BFFs and they were like “der, of course he’s a cow. Don’t you watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse?” To which I replied “unless he moo’s I wouldn’t know he was a cow” This is not the first time that something so obvious to others completely passes me by, so I thought I’d see if I really was that unobservant. Clearly from the poll results and banter, I’m not alone!

3 Likes

I just grow extremely skeptical of anything announced or that I’m told on this particular day each year. :slight_smile: Which is a shame for times when the announcement or whatever is otherwise legit!

1 Like

This has been going round the internet for years. I’m pretty sure it’s been discussed here before. Not April Fool related.

4 Likes

Hate to break it to you, but there are definitely cows with long ears. Particularly in asia.

That said, I don’t think goofy is a cow or a dog.

6 Likes

Oof.
Those are definitely not the NY variety.

So.
Maybe he is a cow.

1 Like

Not with the original name of Dippy Dawg!

7 Likes

It isn’t just the ears. Look at the nose. That’s not the nose of a cow.

Of course, it’s not exactly the nose of a dog, either…but it is a lot more like dog’s nose than a cow’s nose! And the nose is quite similar to Pluto’s nose. Clarabelle, however? She has a definitive cow’s nose.

3 Likes