Poll Time! How long will current measures be required?

Every scientist I’ve heard recently talk about it recently, including Fauci and those developing vaccines, has said they are fairly confident that a vaccine is possible - early tests have shown that new vaccines produce antibodies. The primary question is how long immunity will last, and the consensus is that a year minimum is most likely, while beyond that is unknown. But one-year immunity for most people should be enough to curb the risk from this virus to acceptable levels, IMO.

Also, we’ve discussed in other threads that less deadly strains spread easiest, so the milder forms will most likely be more prevalent over time.

1 Like

Hey, @OBNurseNH, the Suggested Topics referred me to this old thread. Fascinating view into our minds 7-8 months ago.

4 Likes

Little we know! Looking more like 2022!

3 Likes

Nobody got this right but most of us got close (June 2021)

2 Likes

Looks like we need to do this poll all over again. :weary: If Fauci thinks we’ll be wearing masks until next spring, that means the only way I can go in November is to take a brand new 2 year old who hasn’t had any practice wearing masks yet.

Because he was 4 months old when we first started quarantine.

Now that I’ve depressed everyone, I’m going to go hide now.

2 Likes

I think it’s worth clearing up what Dr. Fauci said. When asked if we’d have masks in 2022, he said,

“I think it is possible that is the case”

That’s pretty non-committal. Anything is possible! Here is his more useful remark:

“I want it to keep going down to a baseline that’s so low there is virtually no threat,” Fauci said. “If you combine getting most of the people in the country vaccinated with getting the level of virus in the community very, very low, then I believe you’re going to be able to say, you know, for the most part, we don’t necessarily have to wear masks.”

Getting everyone vaccinated and having a very low level of infection should be possible by the end of this year, if not this summer. A low chance of sometime in 2022, depending on what else happens.

2 Likes

I really really want you to be right. I guess the question is will numbers drop low enough without most kids being vaccinated yet.

1 Like

I think they will, and even if infection numbers are bubbling under the surface, hospitalizations and deaths will be in flu-level ranges.

3 Likes

A bunch of us said December but I think “longer” is the right answer .

2 Likes

Definitely for park reservations. Masks - I’m not so sure, but there’s a decent chance they will be required as a last and final precaution after all the plexiglass is taken down and events and activities are restored.

1 Like

I agree. I think masks will be the last to go!!

1 Like

Even at Disney you think? They made SO much money with people buying snacks, walking around looking at things, I would hope they would want that “grazing” mentality back even before getting to max capacity abilities.

The biggest problem with the mask rollout wasn’t getting people to wear them, it was getting people to stop, go to a specific area, remove the mask, eat, then re-mask before moving. If I had to go through that process, it’d give me pause before stopping to buy snacks/drinks of any kind.

3 Likes

You don’t have to go to a specific area. You can just go to the side and stop to drink or take a bite. Honestly it’s not that big of a deal. We still bought plenty of snacks.

4 Likes

You’ve only traveled with adults though. Having to stop every time one of my four small children want a snack or sip of water means I’ll be getting no where fast!

1 Like

How is the area where you live with masks? How do you feel about going to Disney with unvaccinated children without masks? I could take away some of the social distancing with masks, without I am not so sure. Disney will have to figure out the risk factor with their guests.

1 Like

And how much has @Randall1028 been eating during his trip :rofl:

1 Like

My kids go to church, homeschool co-op, play dates, birthday parties, family gatherings, etc. without masks. We wear them where required which is very few places. So to answer your question, I’d be fine at Disney without masks.

4 Likes

And there are many others on the same page as you. However there is also a large population of guests who prefer to do things as long as measures are in place. Disney needs to figure out which page the majority of their guests are when moving forward.

2 Likes

For sure. I wasn’t trying to say that Disney needs to cater to me. Disney needs to make the best decision for Disney. I may like it, I may not.

My first comment was just to point out that for adults/older children it’s no big deal to stop for a drink or a snack, but small children add a different dynamic. Because of that, I am less likely to spend as much on snacks and drinks. No more plying the kids with ice cream so I can slowly stroll through WS and appreciate the architecture.

3 Likes

I predict that if Disney increases capacity they will maintain masks for awhile, but as others have stated in another thread, they will play it safe to avoid having any C-19 linked to them directly.

2 Likes