Poll Time! How long will current measures be required?

I’m going to WDW in May 2021 and I was curious whether you all think masks and capacity caps will still be required by then. I actually kind of hope they are - I want to be there with crowds as low as they are now! But it would also be nice not to have to make my 2-year-old wear a mask (assuming that’s even possible).

So purely speculating here … give me your best guess:

How long will masks and park reservations be required at WDW?

• Through September 2020
  • Through December 2020
  • Through March 2021
  • Through June 2021
  • Through September 2021
  • Through December 2021
  • Longer (comment below)

0 voters

Is it safe to say that masks and capacity caps(park reservations) will not disappear at the same time? I’m thinking capacity caps will be gradually eased over many months. But masks can’t be ‘gradually’ decreased. So which happens first??

Maybe masks only required indoors while still limiting capacity?

Or, full capacity while current mask mandate in effect?

Kinda confusing to me :thinking:

1 Like

Good points! I think a lot will depend on research being done right now on which mitigation efforts are having the most impact. I would guess masks will outlast caps, but we’ll see.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying too. I would appreciate lower crowds for my March trip, but would not prefer to wear a mask all day! :confused:

2 Likes

We are hopefully going to DW in May 2021 as well. I don’t think they will both disappear at the same time. In fact park reservations seems like it could be something that sticks around post-pandemic. I was hoping maybe by May that masks wouldn’t be required outside at least.

1 Like

Masks = social distancing, simply put.

Keeping masks on can mean more guests in the parks.

If high mask compliance continues, the caps will lighten up.

If mask compliance falters, I don’t think caps will help.

At that point, good treatment options help the most for continued Disney operations.

eta: I just recalled that I chose late June for reopening, so what the heck do I know . . .

1 Like

Until a vaccine is available to help slow the spread. Until this, these organic means to protect us will be in place. Once a febricatrd way is out there to do the same, these measures will start to fade. When will that be? Anyone’s guess…

1 Like

I figure we’re nowhere near better now and we have a winter to get through and recover from.

3 Likes

I picked March. Why? No good reason, except that it is a year from when the shutdowns began.

1 Like

I wish there was just an “unknown” option.

If and when a vaccine is available would impact this. Then I guess they can step back the safety measures.

1 Like

Although I agree in large part, this scares me.

One thing that has been noted that as a coronavirus, it’s difficult to know if they will ever be able to develop an effective vaccine.

1 Like

exactly. they’ve never mastered the flu vaccine. Viruses can mutate…

But, if it gets us to the point where the masses feel comfortable again and the rate of infection is more ideal, I guess things will change.

We’re just in the thick of it so it’s so hard to tell how this will go.
There are nearly 8 billion people on this planet. We’ve got to figure out how to spread out and keep clean. A pandemic was unfortunately inevitable.

1 Like

I picked December 2021 mainly because of masks. I think they will be needed/required for a long time. I just think even with an effective vaccine it will take a long time to vaccinate everyone. I also think I have learned, there will be a number of people that will refuse that vaccination . I believe Disney will need masks or a policy to require proof of vaccination for a while and I don’t think asking for proof is reasonable? Masks are an easy protection business wise.

3 Likes

This is my thought. While I’m all for vaccines, I see a vaccine as being somewhat similar to a procedure while a mask is like shoes or a hat. I take my mask off, I’m still the same.

I do agree that Disney is within their rights as a business to make a vaccination required, tho it might not be a popular business move.

Required vaccinations might remove the park capacities. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I can see Disney requiring employees being vaccinated if they will be customer facing. I can’t see them requiring guests. But once a vaccine is available, it becomes the onus of the guest to protect themselves. Disney must protect their employees FROM guests, however.

Once a vaccine is available, I think any risk of lawsuit regarding potential for catching COVID would have little merit.

3 Likes

There’s so many angles.

I agree a vaccination mandate for employees is very likely - hopefully an effective one can exist.

Is there some point at which we realize we can’t remove as much risk as we’d like?

Probably my early years are showing here, having grown up with mostly tetanus, typhoid and pertussis as the major vaccines.

3 Likes

Yes, I could see it this way. Many healthcare workers are required to get vaccines for their employer, but those who utilize those services are not required.

1 Like

I remember lining up and everyone in the school getting a vaccine or TB test.

2 Likes

But the world has changed a lot. International travel became orders of magnitude more common, flying as well. The fraction of consumer spending that goes to leisure (eating out, entertainment, traveling) increased significantly - and the global economy became much more dependent on discretionary purchases. Both life expectancy and child survival rates increased drastically during the 20th century. How much of the current world order depends on having a great amount of control over infectious diseases?

3 Likes

Especially the second half of the 20th century as I recall serious injury and even deaths among children were not unheard of. My grandkids have grown up with no sense of that at all.

A good deal of the world order might depend more than we want to consider on control of much that could be unmanageable, not just infectious diseases.

2 Likes