Poll Time - Have you had Covid? September 2021 Edition

Covid was our unintentional souvenir from our late Jan/early Feb 2020 Disney trip. I would have preferred some mickey ears. Three of the four of us are vaccinated now, and we have not had any breakthrough infections.

2 Likes

My wife and her brother and sister (same ones who came to WDW with us) all of parosmia (things don’t smell the way they’re supposed to) 9 months after being infected. It has a severe impact on her ability to enjoy food. For example, chocolate smells rotten to her. :sob: Luckily there are many foods she still enjoys. It’s been in constant flux, so we’re hoping it will eventually get back to normal.

ETA: That’s the only example of long Covid I am aware of personally.

3 Likes

One had issues w/ taste/smell (some foods tasted like trash, etc). I saw her last month and she said that while she is better than she was, it comes and goes. She will be fine for a few weeks, then something tastes wonky again.

Another friend is now being treated for fibromyalgia that apparently was brought on by COVID. She has been battling pretty major pain as well as migraines.

Both of them were initially sick in late winter/spring of 2020.

2 Likes

Someone in my office had Covid last November. She is still without normal taste and smell.

2 Likes

I find these opposing experiences intriguing.

Someone told me recently that we are the only family she knows that hasn’t gotten it. Without a doubt tho - friends and family who have chosen caution and vaccination have been far less likely to have had covid.

2 Likes

I said that nobody close to me has had it but actually I was wrong, I forgot that my brother-in-law did. He was lucky, though, and really just lost his sense of taste for a while.

1 Like

Agreed - very fascinating. While my family has taken most of the basic precautions - masking in public, vaccination, reduced social interactions, etc. - those around us here in Arizona have largely not. We have had three waves so far, and I think those who missed out on wave 2 (when we got it - December 2020) - are getting it now.

1 Like

We were definitely a lot more conservative and cautious than many people but those we are closest to are mostly of the same mindset so it doesn’t surprise me. My husband and daughter were home from March until this September and my son’s small private school did a really good job of managing risk/benefit of in person classes (that’s all they did a good job with really but for more info see my review on Yelp :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). So limited contact with others certainly helped to keep risks lower. We were extremely early adopters of the vaccine, me and my husband thankfully as a result of our work in healthcare organizations.

4 Likes

Yes. I feel like we are kind of the odd man out in many of our circles - choosing to cut back on most of our regular in person interactions and masking when most people stopped doing so. So far it has worked, but we are back to doing most of the things we stopped doing last year. I’m not sure that I’m entirely ok with all of it. But I know that the same or even more conservative approach hasn’t worked out for everyone and a number of those covid cautious friends have come down sick anyway - in far fewer numbers.

I’ve been worried that at some point we will fall sick and people will look at us and say “see, they wear masks all the time and they got sick anyway” but perhaps the real thing is “ they wear masks all the time and they are only now getting covid.”

Right now it feels like it’s just bound to happen at some point or another - mostly because the population we usually interact with doesn’t take any precautions.

And those people are hurting right now, because they are losing loved ones. It’s hard for me to watch.

2 Likes

Everyone in my house is vaccinated. kids are 18 and 12. DH got covid in August. He was in the Pfizer trial. His dose was 20 micrograms in the trial and the regular dose is 30 micrograms. DH spent 3 hours in the car with DD and I when he had symptoms (he thought it was allergies or the deadly man cold). I slept in the bed with DH that night. He woke up later than me the next day and was coughing his head off in the den. I walked in there from the kitchen with a mask and told him to not leave the master bedroom. He tested positive the next day. DD left for college the day before DH tested positive. I work in a public school and was convinced that I was an asymptomatic carrier and had given it to DH as I know I had been exposed shortly before his symptoms. I tested negative. DH still has no idea where he was exposed. Wears mask everywhere.

Since I work in a public school, I know lots of adults and kids who have had covid. We have a Disney Cruise scheduled in 20 days. Praying DS12 and I both stay negative until then.

2 Likes

Co-worker had covid in November 2020. She still says smell and taste aren’t normal. Often smells smoke and food tastes metallic. Smells that used to be pleasant like lavender, smell like sulfur now. So weird.

1 Like

No one in my household has had it, but I know a lot of people who have had it. At least one person I know has died from it (pre-vaccine). My oldest daughter, who doesn’t live with me, is believed to have had it in January 2020. She had pneumonia then, and a recent cat scan shows COVID-like scarring on her lungs.

1 Like

My parents and my extended family live in one area in WA state, and my husband’s parents and extended family lives in an area about 45 minutes away from my family. His has been absolutely crushed by COVID- long covid, a couple of deaths, major disruptions… My family has been basically entirely untouched.

1 Like

My SIL …but she lives in Texas, so hard to escape there. I had a friend (who I have not seen since pre-pandemic) get it a couple weeks ago where I live - she runs a dayhome, one of the kids brought it, it spread to her and the other kids. She is fully vaccinated, symptoms were just exhaustion & sinus cold.

High positivity rate right now - mainly in the unvaxxed. Hospitals over capacity, so we are back under mask mandate & restrictions (one of those too little too late scenarios)

Off to Florida on Sunday, no fear, since I’m living in Covid land right now anyways :grimacing: (11.1% positivity rate today)

1 Like

I know 4 people with breakthrough cases right now, who live in FL, GA, TX and AR. A good friend lost a grandmother early in the pandemic. We presume that one of our household had it in Jan 2020 but at the time it didn’t even cross our minds that it could be that. Now, his dr agreed it sounds like it, but there’s no way to know. It was mild but there were definitely symptoms that sounded like covid.

2 Likes

I added a new poll for January 2022:

1 Like