Poll Time! Gratuity

Some polls I didn’t answer because I don’t use them (valet or concierge). Also, I don’t tip mouse keeping because we decline service. There was no option for that.

6 Likes

I guess I should have included a $0 for housekeeping, but how about everyone just answer if you did use the service how much you’d tip.

2 Likes

I didn’t even think of skipping the questions :man_facepalming:

I’m not one to ever use valet or concierge either.

For bell services, I do take into account how many bags we have, but also how big and cumbersome they may be.

3 Likes

I have never used valet parking. I live by the rule “ if someone touches my bag, I tip them”. I struggled with how much I tip bell services. It is always at least $2 a bag, but I am not going to tip $4. I guess it is a minimum of $10?

I used to also tip resort airline check in, but that is gone.

Mousekeeping is $5 a night for me. I will put the money there every day and if they never come in, the money stays on the shelf and grows for the trash service and everything else I ask for in the hallways.

3 Likes

1a- it depends on how many bags and attitude of service. I’ll tip more for cheerfulness, they are usually cheerful :wink:
2- I’ve tipped as much as $20 per day b/c we came back to a fun surprise everyday. It became a fun ritual to wait to open the door when we were all there to see it. That housekeeper made our stay so magical I sought her out at the end and gave her an extra $100. We’ve never, and I mean never had a housekeeper set up our room or play to arrange things as a suprise b4. That was at CSR. and I have no idea how many stays we’ve had on property since 1971… so it really stood out.

4 Likes

That’s kind of how I think of it. I didn’t want to have twelve options for each question so I tried to keep it simple. For me I put flat $10 but I guess it depends on how big your party is.

1 Like

Housekeeping was hard for me to answer bc none of those options really fit for me. I normally decline housekeeping or just get the room serviced occasionally. Depending on how messy the room is and how many days it’s been I leave a variable amount.

1 Like

We usually decline housekeeping. We also schlep our own bags from the rental car and back, so rarely use bell service. Never use valet, never taken DME. Really our only tips tend to be dining, and we eat a lot of table service so spend a lot in tips.

3 Likes

I don’t use concierge or valet.

I tip $1 per person/night in our room for housekeeping.

We only use bell services to hold our carry on bags when we arrive or the day we leave. I tip when we pick up the bags. We did use them once for bag pick up and I tipped them when they dropped the bags off.

2 Likes

I have never used valet or concierge so I couldn’t answer those questions.

Generally I tip $1-$2/bag to anyone that touches them… but will always have a minimum if $5.

Restaurant servers start at 20% and will go slightly down for poor service (within their control), or up for going above & beyond.

Counter service, ice cream, etc with tip jars generally don’t get tips.

Forgot Mousekeeping. We are a family of four and usually bring pre-decorated Mousekeeping envelopes for each night of our trip and fill each one with a $5. The envelopes were part of our pre-trip planning. When they were younger the kids would write “thank you” in multiple languages all over the envelopes with markers, then decorate them with Disney themed stickers.

3 Likes

Mousekeeping for us will vary depending on how many nights & how messy we were. It’s more when we travel with our kids because… crumbs.

We are tipping more generously since the pandemic because it’s been such a hard year for so many in restaurants & tourism industries. I answered based on our current practice. DH and I disagree on tipping but I push for more & he has finally stopped pushing on it.

4 Likes

Mousekeeping is $1 per person per day for value and $2 per person per day for Deluxe. If it was single or double occupancy, I’d do a flat rate but we usually have 3 or 4 people. If were extra messy or needy, we’d leave more, but our typical MO is to pick up/straighten up the room before leaving so it’s not a pain to work in/around.

1 Like

Housekeeping is tricky for two reasons.

When we first stayed onsite, and that was 2010, I had read $1 per person/ per day. Your options are per room, so that’s confusing. And I wasn’t sure what the flat rates meant, is that per night, in which case I would vote $5 flat rate.

However that is a moot point for me now, although the results would be interesting, because we’re DVC and in normal times just get housekeeping every 4th day. I tip a flat rate of $10 for each housekeeping day. But if I put that in the vote I think it’ll skew the result. I think you need separate DVC options.

2 Likes

I always tip when I’m supposed to, except Mousekeeping, because I always decline it and take the gift card. I leave the room in a state which makes it easy to turn it round for the next guest, i.e. all towels in the bath / shower, all rubbish neatly put in bags by the bin.

The two aspects of tipping that grind my gears are these. First, CMs who so feel entitled to a tip that they make zero effort to earn it. The canonical example of this is bell services at GF. Second, the myth that is propagated that tipped CMs at WDW are eking out a modest living, just surviving on your tips. I strongly suspect that many of them are making a very decent living indeed. Good for them, but I expect excellent service from people who earn high amounts. In my experience there is zero correlation between tipping and quality of service. Zero.

2 Likes

Do you tip your Uber / Lyft driver?

• Always — fixed amount
  • Always — percentage
  • Sometimes, based on quality of trip
  • Never

0 voters

1 Like

So far as wait staff are concerned my baseline is 20%. If the service is disappointing I give 18%. If it’s terrific I give 25% and try to mention the server to the in-charge person.

In the UK, I give 0%. I’m from the North. We don’t give money away.

4 Likes

We are a large party everywhere we go. We also have a son with food allergies and we don’t drink alcohol, but do require a lot of attention. For those reasons we have been tipping 20% for decades now; servers have to work harder for us. There is also the benefit of mental math being easier for 20% than 15%. These days a lot of places just apply the 20% for 8 or more so we don’t really have a say… or do we? Even when DH and I go out alone we tip 20% bc we don’t drink, so our bill is smaller than the other guests’ likely are.

For excellent service we will go over, but like Matt says, the mention to the manager is often times more meaningful than a few more dollars. I also make an effort to review all our dining out on TripAdvisor and mention staff by name. I know of people who serve at local eateries who check TA out and thrill when they get a mention.

For crappy service (thankfully that is rare everywhere) we have been known to just do the 15% regardless of how large our group was. I don’t think we’ve ever complained about a server.

1 Like

For mousekeeping I voted $5 but there are only 2 of us and we’re tidy. I’d give more if we were a bigger family or if we’d left a mess on a particular day.

2 Likes

You never have to check your bags while you wait for a room? That is about the only time I use bell service (also holding my bags on fly home day- tip on drop off/pick up).

1 Like

I double tip Uber/Lyft. I tip in the app and in cash.

I took a ding on a ride I booked for my 87 year old dad. Now I walk him to the Uber/Lyft- I apologize, tell the driver he is going to try to tell them how to drive and that I will also tip in the app.

I over tip- I know it. I also barely survived as a waitress and short order cook for about five years.

4 Likes